• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
maxi

Anyone Really Know The Spec Of The Mi16 Touring Car Engine

DrSeuss
looks like even touring car's are held together with cable ties!

And gaffa tape :)

fiji bob

maxi have you tried the breather setup with it conected as it would be normally? to the inlet i mean or did that cause problems as well?

maxi
maxi have you tried the breather setup with it conected as it would be normally? to the inlet i mean or did that cause problems as well?

It would lose a litre of oil in about 20miles like that!!

Much better how it is but its still not right.... Ive been onto mymate whos a fabricator, Im going to modfiy a baileys tank for a cossie and make a system like that with everything venting in there and venting to air. Going to make a filler cap in the top too to poor oil in....

Maxi

mfield
It would lose a litre of oil in about 20miles like that!!

Much better how it is but its still not right.... Ive been onto mymate whos a fabricator, Im going to modfiy a baileys tank for a cossie and make a system like that with everything venting in there and venting to air. Going to make a filler cap in the top too to poor oil in....

Maxi

That will do the job and look good :)

Robsbc
Not me, Nick and Matt.

Are you having any problems with your engine at all Rob?? Breather wise what setup are you running?? Why do forged pistons mean the engine consumes oil??

Maxi

Breather wise set up I'm running 8v and it's venting to the air....The eingine does use oil which I was warned about.

The only leak I had and cured was the sump as the bolts needed doing up after 1500miles. I do have a slight weep on oil cooler pipe that I had to replace when i repositioned the mocal oil cooler for the custon Radtec radiator.

Like Black_Mi16 said Forged pistons need 80% more bore/piston clearance than cast iron pistons. Cast iron pistons expand less.

Forged pistons wil lalso sound noiser when cold and should quieten down when warm.

Nice to meet you earlier BTW....

Edited by Robsbc

Mandic
looks very familiar... i wonder who took that pic? :rolleyes::D

:lol::blush:

Cheers

Ziga

Sandy
Like Black_Mi16 said Forged pistons need 80% more bore/piston clearance than cast iron pistons. Cast iron pistons expand less.

Cast alloy :rolleyes:

maxi
Breather wise set up I'm running 8v and it's venting to the air....The eingine does use oil which I was warned about.

The only leak I had and cured was the sump as the bolts needed doing up after 1500miles. I do have a slight weep on oil cooler pipe that I had to replace when i repositioned the mocal oil cooler for the custon Radtec radiator.

Forged pistons wil lalso sound noiser when cold and should quieten down when warm.

Nice to meet you earlier BTW....

Yep I do hear a tiny amount of piston slap when the engine is stone cold and withing the 1st minute it slowly fades away!

Good to meet you to, shame I didnt get a ride in your mi, would love to see how it goes..

Maxi

the_mighty_one

hey,

not sure if its any help, but ive got an 8V gti with a similar problem.

basically its got a catch tank with an oil filler in the top, both the crankcase and head breather pipes run to the top of the catch tank, it then has a large pipe that runs from the bottom into the oil filler hole in the block.

it runs a grpN cam in a xu10j2 head and it 'pumps' oil out the head breather.

i found that due to the high revving nature of the engine that the oil was being thrashed around and escaping from the top of the breather by being splashed out. i fitted a plate inside the cam cover to act as a splash gaurd, and its cured it for most of the time, but when you give the car a good thrashing it still pushes oil out.

i have been told that if it was still fitted with a standard breather system it wouldnt do this, because it has a 'purge system' that supposidly sucks any oil from the breathers back into the sump.

i think the only true way of stopping this from happening would be to have a dry sump system fitted and use the oil tank as the catch tank and having it venting from the tank.

markrnorton

So, I guess after reading this thread, nobody knows the spec then ??!!!

Edited by markrnorton

Robsbc
So, I guess after reading this thread, nobody knows the spec then ??!!!

Nope...Best to ring Longman's

pug_ham

Adam, it might be worth dropping Stew 205 a pm as he has tried various things for his car & was still having problems at Cadwell & might save you some time.

Two heads are better than one etc.

Graham.

cybernck
i have been told that if it was still fitted with a standard breather system it wouldnt do this, because it has a 'purge system' that supposidly sucks any oil from the breathers back into the sump.

why not try a catch tank with an integrated filter, that runs back to the inlet?

that should suck the fumes out and filter them at the same time.

perhaps an idea for you too maxi?

M3Evo

Dumb question time, where does the oil that gets collected in the catch tank go to? Do you just empty it out every once in a while?

I've got my engine venting to atmosphere through a little filter at the moment. It's fine when the engine's cold, but once it warms up a bit, you get a constant stream of oily mist coming out of it.

Mmmmmmessy.

Mandic

What about a slash cut pipe with one way valve to exhaust so the exhaust vacuum sucks them out?

Very effective, but a bit environmentaly questionalbe.

Cheers

Ziga

maxi
Adam, it might be worth dropping Stew 205 a pm as he has tried various things for his car & was still having problems at Cadwell & might save you some time.

Two heads are better than one etc.

Graham.

Cheers Graham, I added stew to my MSN. Had a long conversation ast night as his engine is very similar to the spec of mine.

Breather problems seem to be a real issue when you up the compression even by a small amount, let alone the huge amount I am running.

Anyone got Longmans phone number?? I would like to answer the original question :huh:

Maxi

Robsbc
Cheers Graham, I added stew to my MSN. Had a long conversation ast night as his engine is very similar to the spec of mine.

Breather problems seem to be a real issue when you up the compression even by a small amount, let alone the huge amount I am running.

Anyone got Longmans phone number?? I would like to answer the original question :D

Maxi

I'm running around the 11.0 mark on compression on my mi16 and do not have breather problems...

Robsbc

Richard Longman & Co

5, Airfield Rd, Airfield Industrial Estate, Christchurch, Dorset BH23 3TG

Tel: 01202 486569

Edited by Robsbc

maxi
Richard Longman & Co

5, Airfield Rd, Airfield Industrial Estate, Christchurch, Dorset BH23 3TG

Tel: 01202 486569

Cheers Rob, Mine only has an isse when it gets up and over 6000RPM, where my engines live. Im wondering if, as you said to me, because you dont thrash your engine, it hasnt had the chance to show any breather problems. Go for a long HARD and I mean Hard drive, round at 7K every gearchange for about 10 miles and then see what the score is!

Maxi

Edited by maxi

crf450

I don't know much about the spec of Longman Mi touring car engine but I do know they were 86mm square using cast iron liner in a offset bored block to move the centres out which gave a little more wall thickness to the liner, Inlet valves were only .5mm (half A mm) bigger, they didn't use any bigger as this compromised cam profiles they could use as the valve angle meant the valves were prone to colliding.As has already been said they ran with a 8500rpm rev limit.

Cheers Martin.

P.S. Graham, I owe you a call.

Robsbc
Cheers Rob, Mine only has an isse when it gets up and over 6000RPM, where my engines live. Im wondering if, as you said to me, because you dont thrash your engine, it hasnt had the chance to show any breather problems. Go for a long HARD and I mean Hard drive, round at 7K every gearchange for about 10 miles and then see what the score is!

Maxi

I'm surprised your canning it that much if the fuelling is well out like you mentioned at Nick's...

Daz_C
Im wondering if, as you said to me, because you dont thrash your engine, it hasnt had the chance to show any breather problems. Go for a long HARD and I mean Hard drive, round at 7K every gearchange for about 10 miles and then see what the score is!

Maxi

As I have a very similar spec to Robs and have had this for well over 4 yrs. I can say on his behalf that he will Not have any breather problems from a good hard thrash ! :P I have spent most of my younger days driving at 7200rpm and have had no problems with the Breather System.

maxi
I'm surprised your canning it that much if the fuelling is well out like you mentioned at Nick's...

Obviously i havent driven it that hard yet, I have thrashed it a few times and thats when things start to prove a problem....

Whats breather setup are you guys running again??? I take it you have very similar engines??

Maxi

Robsbc
Obviously i havent driven it that hard yet, I have thrashed it a few times and thats when things start to prove a problem....

Whats breather setup are you guys running again??? I take it you have very similar engines??

Maxi

We do Maxi....The differences are :-

35.5mm inlet valves I have them, Darren doesn't.

Standard head gasket on mine Darren has GRP A version.

I have tb's he has carbs.

No sump baffle on mine Darren does.

I've got 3500 miles on my engine and Darren's has over 60K.

Sign in to follow this