• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
maxi

Anyone Really Know The Spec Of The Mi16 Touring Car Engine

maxi

Anyone got the actual specs of the touring car Mi16 engine??

There was a picture posted on here a while ago of it and I cant find it now. Id like to know about the breather system setup it used as I think a lot of issues on my new engine are also being caused by my setup not being able to cope.....

Any ideas chaps??

Maxi

Sam

Heres some pics I have:

http://dcoe.net/gallery/btcc/

What problems are you having? The Mi16 breather system is pretty complex from what I remember.

maxi
Heres some pics I have:

http://dcoe.net/gallery/btcc/

What problems are you having? The Mi16 breather system is pretty complex from what I remember.

Lots!!!! Pushing oil seals out all over the place, losing oil you name it ive got it!

Maxi

easypug

OK, not that this helps much but my engine (not the engine its self) claims to be an old race engine. It has an extra out let on the head at the back and an extra one on the sump aswell. I never saw the engine installed in a car so can't comment on what its uses were. Maybe a PM to Andy Kirk (person i got the engine off) on here could clear things up about that?

edit to add pics:

Picture 1

Picture 2

Edited by easypug

maxi

That union in the sump I expect was to allow the breather tank to drain back any oil collected back into the engine.... how is your breather system setup dave??

Maxi

easypug

I not sure how it was done to be honest, best bet to find out would be Andy Kirk or GlenF as they took the engine out the car it came from. I never got any pictures of the engine when it was in the 309 (i didn't even see it) so can't help there, i'm not sure if Andy did.

Sam

You really don't want all the "gunk" draining to the sump.

Robsbc
Lots!!!! Pushing oil seals out all over the place, losing oil you name it ive got it!

Maxi

Who built this engine? Nothing to do with their building skills?

Don't forget engine's like ours using forged pistons will consume oil for a starters.

Edited by Robsbc

Miles

That drains in the wrong side of the sump Dave as the position has changed to the back edge, Can't say anymore for obious reasons

Henry Yorke

Almost looks like a turbo set up, but I don't think it was turbo'd IIRC

maxi
Who built this engine? Nothing to do with their building skills?

Don't forget engine's like ours using forged pistons will consume oil for a starters.

Not me, Nick and Matt.

Are you having any problems with your engine at all Rob?? Breather wise what setup are you running?? Why do forged pistons mean the engine consumes oil??

Maxi

B1ack_Mi16
Why do forged pistons mean the engine consumes oil??

More cylinder-clearance due to they expand more than standard cast ones.

So more oil consumption...

Sure you don't have to get your engine run-in maxi, the pressure in the crankcase should drop when the rings start sealing better...

maxi
More cylinder-clearance due to they expand more than standard cast ones.

So more oil consumption...

Sure you don't have to get your engine run-in maxi, the pressure in the crankcase should drop when the rings start sealing better...

Its done 800 odd miles now and has been getting a thrashing for the last 300..... a compression test showed 245PSI across all four cylinders so it is very high compression......

As for forged pistons, I didnt know that!

Maxi

mfield

A friend of mine had his pinto engine tuned and for the first few months it spat oil out, he would half fill his catch tank every 100 miles !! now it's all run in not a drop goes to the catch tank :o He also had leaks from the odd seal and sump but they've stopped now to. For the record he had a 2.1 conversion which i pressume involves a rebore like your self.

I had the same compression as you but on my 8v and used a small filter as my breather and that resulted in the top hose popping off and spraying oil every where, the filter was fine and you could breath through it with no real pressure but still didn't let the crank pressure out !! after removing the filter no more oil leaks :o

Edit: neither engine had forged pistons

Edited by mfield

maxi
A friend of mine had his pinto engine tuned and for the first few months it spat oil out, he would half fill his catch tank every 100 miles !! now it's all run in not a drop goes to the catch tank :o He also had leaks from the odd seal and sump but they've stopped now to. For the record he had a 2.1 conversion which i pressume involves a rebore like your self.

I had the same compression as you but on my 8v and used a small filter as my breather and that resulted in the top hose popping off and spraying oil every where, the filter was fine and you could breath through it with no real pressure but still didn't let the crank pressure out !! after removing the filter no more oil leaks :o

Edit: neither engine had forged pistons

Thats originally what we thought about breather problems that something was restricting it. Thing is, everything now apart from the cam cover (returns back to the block via the union just below the head gaskett- where pug designed it to go) runs to an oil filler that vents to air.... maybe my vents arent big enough?? Im using the std S16 filler with the two smaller outputs just venting to air. Ill take a pic or 2 later.

Maxi

Edited by maxi

mfield

Where does the head vent to, have you got something like a piperx filter ?

I wondered where the crankcase pressure vented on the later blocks :o Would you be able to try venting the block to atmosphere via a catch tank ? ( or coke bottle as a quick test )

The filter i used was about 80mm long with 40mm dia, abit like a minnie 8v air filter except it looked like a k&n with the metal gause. Yet that still wouldn't work !!!???!!?

maxi
Where does the head vent to, have you got something like a piperx filter ?

I wondered where the crankcase pressure vented on the later blocks :o Would you be able to try venting the block to atmosphere via a catch tank ? ( or coke bottle as a quick test )

The filter i used was about 80mm long with 40mm dia, abit like a minnie 8v air filter except it looked like a k&n with the metal gause. Yet that still wouldn't work !!!???!!?

Look up and read my last post again mate. The head/cam cover on a later block vents to a union in the front of the block at the very top just under the head gaskett.. Im just going to vent everything to air I think, can anyone see a problem with this??

Maxi

mfield

My bad , read it wrong. thought it said everything except the cam cover goes to the union then out throught the oil filter :)

Nothing wrong with venting to air, just gets oily near the vent if there's nothing to catch it .

Mark

petert
Anyone got the actual specs of the touring car Mi16 engine??

All I know is they had steel cranks, longer Chev V8 rods, custom liners, 35mm buckets and 8500 redline.

maxi
Alistairh took this picture of a grp. a 306 Maxi :P Maxi :)

http://ben.loaded.net/gallery/view_photo.p...id=Picture_1548

i can't identify half of the bits on it tbh, but its properly bling.

Mr Seuss, I think you have shed some light on a very difficult subject!!! Im off to design a catch/filler tank!

Maxi

Mandic

It's dry sumped so they can mount it a bit lower + maybe they don't get as much oil stuck on the exhaust side, etc.

Cheers

Ziga

ablister

looks like even touring car's are held together with cable ties!

Sign in to follow this