• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tashanoodles

Quick Q...

tashanoodles

Well, thats a lie, its actually just a shuddery pedal. Driving home today noticed that under hard braking the pedal's shuddery underfoot, but the car seems to be braking fine, she doesnt seem to be handling as well as normal, but that may just be me being paranoid, I know if i'm not happy i need to check my brakes, but any suggestions???

Ta, tasha x

Jonmurgie

If the pedal juders it can be a few things, one of which is warped discs, though I don't think that's very common on the 205!

Have you looked at the condition of your discs/pads at all?

CaM

def discs, may be just slightly out of true

Rippthrough

Probably pad deposits on the discs.

You could get them skimmed, if it's only just started then a damn good rub round with stainless steel wire wool and brake solvent might cure it.

Edited by Rippthrough

tashanoodles

Hmm ok, the cars done around £7k since its brakes were done, uprated disks, if that makes any difference. Only noticed it tonight and figured it was too dark to get a proper look, plus knowing my luck i'd have burnt myself lol, but deffo need attention then huh. damn! lol

DaveW

it all down to driving style really..

cheap discs warp easily with a bit of spirited driving, this would cause your pedal feel, other than a stone in your caliper or badly worn wheel bearing ??? but you would know about that long before

jonD6B

Hi, just out of curiosity what disks and pads were fitted 7K ago? They weren't Green Stuff pads by any chance?

DaveW

whats wrong with green stuff pads?

pug_ham
Hmm ok, the cars done around £7k since its brakes were done, uprated disks, if that makes any difference.
What type of uprated discs? Drilled & grooved etc? If so then the grooves can cause a minor vibration through the steering wheel along with a bit more noise under heavier breaking, all of which is normal imo.

Graham.

tashanoodles
What type of uprated discs? Drilled & grooved etc? If so then the grooves can cause a minor vibration through the steering wheel along with a bit more noise under heavier breaking, all of which is normal imo.

Graham.

They came with the car, brand new un-used, so when the discs needed replacing it made sense to use them, red-dot ones, grooved only. I agree on the minor vibration through the steering wheel, i'm used to that, its just the shudderyness thats appeared in the last day or so thats unnerving. Standard pads were used and i know they'll wear quicker with uprated discs, i guess its a trip to the garage later.

C_W
whats wrong with green stuff pads?

They can cause really bad vibration from deposits on the discs.

Is there no vibration through the steering wheel at the same time?

DaveW

i never had a problem when i had them on my gti and i thought they where quite good too...

Rippthrough

Had to stop at a junction/for traffic after using the brakes a lot?

If you held the footbrake on while the pads were hot there would be deposits transfered to the disc.

tashanoodles
Had to stop at a junction/for traffic after using the brakes a lot?

If you held the footbrake on while the pads were hot there would be deposits transfered to the disc.

Nah i took the car out last night for a literal 5min journey to pick up a mate in town, quiet traffic etc. She's in the garage now, no obvious problems but they'll investigate deeper for me tomor morning.

jonD6B

Hi, no problem with green stuff pads, on the whole good pads but I have had them on a T5 and an Imprezza STI and they've overheated and warped the discs on both cars under heavyish breaking.

tashanoodles

Ok, had the car back, one of the discs was warped, so new discs n pads, job done (though it is slightly worrying that the discs had only been on the car 10months - back to standard now).

The bad news however, is that my mechanics have finally found out what the loud banging noise from the rear of the car is. It had been put down to the spare wheel, the exhaust knocking on the valance as it wasnt angled towards the ground etc, but when they test drove the car they werent happy with the noise, so got it up on a ramp for a thorough inspection, turns out my axle bush on the rear passenger side is knackered, they reckon its ok to drive but will need sorting before her next MOT, can anyone gimme more info on this?

thanks in advance,

tasha

jonD6B

It's never a good idea having a worn out bush! Should get a second opinion. (Before you have the work undertaken). :)

tashanoodles
It's never a good idea having a worn out bush! Should get a second opinion. (Before you have the work undertaken). :)

Yeah, like i say, they told me it wasnt urgent but it wouldnt pass its next MOT without being done, thats in July so i have a while, just wondered if anyone could gimme some info on them, like if the car's gonna handle differently etc and whats involved in replacing it?

pug_ham

Tasha, they must mean one of the rear suspension mount rubber blocks has split, a common thing to happen. Nothing to major but I'd get it fixed sooner rather than waiting until July.

Easy to fix & best replaced with Group N ones as they are stronger & last lots longer making them better value eventually.

Graham.

tashanoodles
Tasha, they must mean one of the rear suspension mount rubber blocks has split, a common thing to happen. Nothing to major but I'd get it fixed sooner rather than waiting until July.

Easy to fix & best replaced with Group N ones as they are stronger & last lots longer making them better value eventually.

Graham.

Yeah that sounds like what the explained to me lol, is it really a £300 job?! From my understanding its a pig of a job because of the amount of stuff thats in the way and needs to be moved. Will the beam have to come off? Awhile back a trusted forum member (taffycrooks) told me it seemed to be ok, no camber etc, but wouldnt really know until it came off, should i expect yet another bill if that comes off?! Not my week for the 205 methinks.

C_W

There are front and rear bushes on the rear subframe; I've not heard of the "front" ones failing before (and also are difficult to see with it fitted). However the rear mounting blocks that graham mentioned often split and you can move the rear subframe arms quite easily.

They're about £10 each I think and easy to fit.

Anthony

Hate to come over all pesimistic (why change the habit of a lifetime) but I have heard of knackered beams being refered to as "worn bushes" when they've got play in them... :)

Jack the back of the car up and try rocking the passenger rear wheel - there should be no movement/play between the trailing arm and the beamtube. I'd expect for there to be knocking over bumps and possibly groaning and/or squeaking as well if that was the case.

Trying to be positive though, the rear beam mounts are always perishing and splitting in two and are cheap and easy to change. You don't need to remove the beam to change these, just loosen off the front bolts to allow it to drop slightly. When these have split in two, it gives the rear of the car a slightly floaty and unpredictable nature.

pug_ham
When these have split in two, it gives the rear of the car a slightly floaty and unpredictable nature.
Hmm, I wonder if that means the stub axle wasn't bent on my old beam that used to give a nervous feeling like the back was going to swing round & overtake youat any moment on a left hander. :)

Found one rear sandwich mount was split when I removed the beam.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this