• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MartinR

Coil Packs......... Which One Would You Use For.....

TEKNOPUG
Surely your local GM cars have them?

The only Vauxhall that has anything remotely resembling a Chevy V8 is the Minaro (basically a rebadged Holden) - and that's been discountinued!!

It would be easier sourcing the parts from the States direct.

petert

It's a Monaro, and yes that's the car the coils came from.

We ran it up on the dyno today. The original engine ran 92kW at the wheels (Motronic 1.3, 10.8:1 and Stage I inlet cam). With the addition of a Haltech E6X ECU and four coils (batch fire & wasted spark), power jumped to a very impressive 101kW ATW. It actually caught me out as I didn't expect that much, resulting in the injectors maxing out at 85-90% duty cycle. So it's a genuine 185hp.

IvarS
It's a Monaro, and yes that's the car the coils came from.

We ran it up on the dyno today. The original engine ran 92kW at the wheels (Motronic 1.3, 10.8:1 and Stage I inlet cam). With the addition of a Haltech E6X ECU and four coils (batch fire & wasted spark), power jumped to a very impressive 101kW ATW. It actually caught me out as I didn't expect that much, resulting in the injectors maxing out at 85-90% duty cycle. So it's a genuine 185hp.

Could you please post a picture of the coil install? Are these coils fitted directly to the plugs or is there a short HT-lead? I will compare the S16-coils with the ones fitted to the GTi6. One of the coils on my S16 failed this week so I now have one I can take to the car breakers and compare to the GTi6 coil.

petert

I've decided to develop the ignition a bit further with my own car. As it has an Autronic SMC ECU, with 4 ignition outputs, I've decided to fit an M&W Pro-14 CDI (4 channel) with four Bosch MEC718 coils.

feb

What is the advantage of having 4 coils as compared to 1?

DrSeuss

Assuming peter runs them in wasted spark. Not a massive amount. There is some correlation between strength of spark discharge and power/torque output, so having 4 means a more powerful spark and a cleaner more complete burn.

feb
Assuming peter runs them in wasted spark. Not a massive amount. There is some correlation between strength of spark discharge and power/torque output, so having 4 means a more powerful spark and a cleaner more complete burn.

Do the S16 engines that use 4 coils run in wasted spark then?

Cheers,

DrSeuss

S16 run sequential ignition for improved cruise economy and marginally improved torque. Very little gain in terms of power.

petert
Assuming peter runs them in wasted spark.

No, it's direct fire. 4 ECU outputs, 4 CDI channels, 4 coils.

phatgti

I have an XSi coil going cheap if anyones interested?

Surely a coil on each plug provides a cleaner spark which is more reliable.

and in the case of coil failure you still have 3 more coils to limp home on.

Sign in to follow this