• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MartinR

Coil Packs......... Which One Would You Use For.....

MartinR

Hi all

Just wondered what people use for dizzyless scenarios on the 1.9 GTi using an aftermarket ECU which will support a coil pack.

Im trying to avoid the ballache of finding out that some coilpacks wont work with certain ECUs and the enevitable quest to find HT leads that fit both ends.

If anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanking-you.

16v205

Hi

I used the only coil pack I had in the garage at the time, didnt want to go spend money on one for the fun of it. It came off a 406 2.0 turbo engine but id hazard a guess its quite a popular design on most the more modern peugeot engines like the 106.

Spent an afternoon in Halfords checking HT leads to find the best fit is Corsa 16v leads.

Im using this btw with an emerald ecu

Cheers

Rich

pdd144c

I used a zetec one with my emerald, mounted where the dissie used to be. Used the zetec leads too, just put the plastic sheaths from the original pug leads on them.

Dream Weaver

I'm using one from a new Mini Cooper S, fits a treat and you can use the std leads as well - cost me £10 off Ebay and being a newish car its in as new condition. :P

Mounted it on the side of the block using a modded bookend from B&Q :(

DrSeuss

pretty much any wasted spark coil pack will be fine afaik. There are lots found on peugeots, fords etc etc.

pug_ham

My coilpack is from a 405 & if you use this one leads for a late 205 Automatic (cat equipped) are ideal as the head is the same design.

Graham.

MartinR

Cool thanks fellas. Hope this topic dont get deleted as i am sure other people have the same question :)

pug309twin40s

ive still got the coilpack from my old 405 2lt 8v you can have for Postage cost if you need 1? im sure it still has the leads attached to it iswell.

petert
Just wondered what people use for dizzyless scenarios on the 1.9 GTi using an aftermarket ECU which will support a coil pack.

Four Chev LS1 V8 coils. Very reliable, very compact, very powerful and have internal ignitors, further simplifying wiring. So the ECU fires the coils directly.

DrSeuss
Four Chev LS1 V8 coils. Very reliable, very compact, very powerful and have internal ignitors, further simplifying wiring. So the ECU fires the coils directly.

Peter you seem to be intent on turning our engines into half a chevy v8 :) There aren't many chevy parts dealers in this country. KMS use VAG coils to similar effect.

IvarS

051206_163149.jpg

BX 16 TZi coilpack should fit nicely :huh:

MartinR
BX 16 TZi coilpack should fit nicely :P

Pug309Twin40s, many thanks for your offer, but I have been offered a Mini Cooper S coilpack for £10 which I thought was a bargain! So I am going to give that a try.

Now I have just seen IvarS's pic, I want one of those coilpacks! However, I guess I will need the end mount from the same car for it to fit to the head as I am pretty sure the mounts I have dont have those mounting points.......................

:ph34r:

2006 for me is going to be turbo year! come hell or high water (or the next big bill) :)

pug309twin40s
I beleive my coil pack came off a ZX 2.0i Volcane

see http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?a...ype=post&id=711

Dave

thats the same coil as the 405 1.

i'll have alook tommorrow. im sure i might still have the thermostat/mount for the coil. if you want 1 to fit the same as the 2 in the pics.

pug_ham
I beleive my coil pack came off a ZX 2.0i Volcane
It did.
It is, probably the same as most UK Peugeot & Citroen's that use a coilpack.

Graham.

cybernck

slightly off topic, but would that one fit an mi16 head and leads straight on too? :)

Super Josh
slightly off topic, but would that one fit an mi16 head and leads straight on too? :)

It looks like it would, doesn't it? :) Does anyone know how the coilpacka are attached to the head in, say, the lower spec 16V engines?

Josh

DrSeuss

I believe they actually fit in between the banks of valves in the gulley of the head. Not possible on the earlier mi16 head for obvious reasons.

MartinR

i'll have alook tommorrow. im sure i might still have the thermostat/mount for the coil. if you want 1 to fit the same as the 2 in the pics.

If you do have the mount and the coil pack then its sold as I need a coil pack for my brothers car coz we want to say goodbye to the weakest link (the distributor)

pug309twin40s
If you do have the mount and the coil pack then its sold as I need a coil pack for my brothers car coz we want to say goodbye to the weakest link (the distributor)

right mate. just been out and had a look and this is what i have:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pug309twin40s...il/PHTO0006.JPG

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pug309twin40s...il/PHTO0007.JPG

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pug309twin40s...il/phto0005.JPG

as you can see i have 2 2nd hand coils, 2 mountings/thermostat housings, 1 coil with pretty new ht leads.

alos have a brand new coil is well: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pug309twin40s...il/PHTO0008.JPG

pm with what bits you would be interested in.

paul

rescue dude

Would any of these coilpacks work with the standard ECU?

I've fitted twin 40's to my 8valve 1.9 and plan to use a DTA ignition but lost my job recently and need to do it one step at a time.

Any cheap bits to help me out would be appreciated.

pug_ham

None of these coilpacks would work with a standard ecu as there isn't an advanced enough management system fitted unless you fit a system that has a coilpack.

AFAIK they can be used with the DTA & Emerald systems though.

Graham.

rescue dude

That was the answer i expected PT.

look's like i'm gonna have to buy it one piece at a time and fit it when i collect all the bits.

petert

I mentioned earlier in this thread about the Chev LS1 coils. I've just finished setting up four coils on an Mi16. Dyno time is next week, but judging by the quality of the idle and how sweet it sounds, I'd have to say they're a winner. The beauty of these is that they have an integrated ignitor, so wiring is simple stupid. Surely your local GM cars have them?

pug_ham
I mentioned earlier in this thread about the Chev LS1 coils. Surely your local GM cars have them?
Quite possiblely, I did a quick ebay search for coilpacks a few days ago & iirc there was one of those very coilpacks listed.

Whats the part number peter?

Graham.

Sign in to follow this