• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
adam_young

Gearbox Oil

adam_young

This is actually in respect to my wifes Passat. The gearchange can be be tough and quite obstructive when cold. The clutch seems fine.

Anyway I have posted on the VW Passat forum (no really there is one! :ph34r: ) and a few other owners report the same thing.

As its only really a problem when cold do we think changing the grade of the gearbox oil might help? Or just changing the oil might be a start as I dont think that is something that is often changed?

j_turnell

Yeh this will be the oil, just find out from vw or local motor factors what grade is needed and replace it.

oilman

Try a 75w-90 synthetic, that should cure it.

Cheers

Simon

Rob_the_Sparky

Seems common to pugs as well though as I've had stiff gears on both 205s and a 306 in very cold weather for the first few changes...

Dj_mini

wynn's do a gear box additive to ease notchy boxs but dont put to much in because your find that it will pop out of gear on its own. my local motor factors stock it so easily avaliable.

adam_young

Thanks for your advice.

Sign in to follow this