• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ryan

Which Way Do Big-ends Go?

Ryan

Does it matter which way round the big-end caps are fitted? They all have the little cutout that holds the bearing in place, but which way does that need to face? back of block?

mikie

There shold be a small seat in the block and big end caps for each bearing to seat into.

Ryan

Yes, but when bolting the big-end caps back in there is nothing to indicate which way round the cap+bearing should face, as they can be fitted either way around.

Gavin Waddell

they should only go one one waz properly i think as they are honed in situ in the factory. normaly you mark them all up before taking them apart. if not they can pinch the crank i think

j_turnell

The little cut outs should go the same end as each other.

Ryan
The little cut outs should go the same end as each other.

Thanks.

The problem is that I'm partially stripping an mi16 engine that was rebuilt by someone else, and 3 were fitted one way round and the 4th fitted the other way. If I had built the engine myself then I would have noted which way they were fitted, but I bought it 90% built up from someone else.

pug_ham

You need to be sure you have them in the right location & way round. If they are wrong & the crank won't turn you might be lucky (I was) & there be some marks from the original assembly.

If not, do them up one a a time & try turning the crank after each one.

If one nips the crank, turn it 180 & try again. If it still doesn't turn you've got your work cut out checking the others until you get the right one until they are all down. The end ones can't be fitted wrong, the centre can only be 180' out but 2 & 4 could be either 180' out or on the wrong rod.

Graham.

M3Evo

Am I missing something here, or is everyone answering a question about the main bearing caps and not the big ends?

From what I recall, the mains are easy to get right as they all have a big number cast into them and these should all go on the same side.

The rods on the other hand need to be assembled in a particular way relative to the pistons which then go a specific way into the block.

It's in the build manual (and I can't remember which way is correct) but it's all on one page if someone can scan it in and post it?

Ryan
Am I missing something here, or is everyone answering a question about the main bearing caps and not the big ends?

I think you're right. I'm not taking the crank out, but the pistons were fitted the wrong way ("Dist->" pointing towards the distributor end) so I had to take them off and I noticed one of the caps was different to the others.

It's in the build manual (and I can't remember which way is correct) but it's all on one page if someone can scan it in and post it?

I couldn't find anything in either of the 205 manuals (old and new style), or in the BX manual I'm using for the 16v engine. Is it in the 405 book?

Edited by RyanMoore

returnofjim

Ive just been in the garage and looked at a 1.9 what i have on an engine stand with the sump off, the big end caps have some numbers 980 on one side near the hole where the con rod stud goes through. On all the caps these numbers face the rear of the block. Hopefully this will help :P

ALEX

As mentioned the cut outs in the caps go to the same side as the cut outs in the rods.

I think thats is to the rear of the car with the pistons in the correct way around with the dist arrow towards cam belt.

To check if you have got the right caps on the right rods is to try them off the crank with the shells out. Feel for a lip at the joint with your finger on the inside face where the shells sit. The correct cap will have NO lip at all as the rods are machined with the caps bolted to them.

It should'nt take too long to figure out which cap belongs to which rod.

M3Evo
I couldn't find anything in either of the 205 manuals (old and new style), or in the BX manual I'm using for the 16v engine. Is it in the 405 book?

Aah sorry, I was talking about the Pug build manual that was floating around a while ago.

Mabey PM miamistu, I know he's got a copy as I used it when I did his engine :P

Ryan

Thanks a lot guys, it's sorted now. :P

Sign in to follow this