• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gti_al

Harness Mounting

gti_al

I've been searching around trying to find an answer to this, as i don't really want to start drilling holes until i'm confident it will be ok...

Basically, is it ok to drill holes in the boot floor to mount harnesses if it is reinforced? I was planning on putting some kind of plate in underneath, and then on the inside of the car too. I may be being overly cautious, but the shell doesn't look overly solid there...

I found some pics in here that are the same as i have planned. http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...pic=37867&st=20

Does this look ok?

pug_ham

I think people use either the original bolts for the rear seatbelts or with eye ends under the rear beam forward mount nuts.

If you mount them straight through the boot floor you will need some extra material definately imo. Hope Butler reads this so he can say what he had done when he fitted his.

butler3.jpg

Graham.

gti_al

Thanks for that pic, the arrangement in it looks about perfect.

And i know what you are saying about using the rear seat belt bolts, but the angle seems a bit tight... I would imagine that that would apply a fair bit of force to the (still standard) seat, which knowing their strength would collapse pretty quickly. If i could get it into the boot floor it would open up the angle a bit, which can't be a bad thing.

Things should become more straightforward once i get some aftermarket seats in, but i would like the harnesses in before then...

Butler

Yeah I welded plates under the floor. I felt the rear seat belt fixings were to close. I am sure the floor is strong enough, especially with to fixing points per harness. (4 strap, as opposed to 3)

gti_al
Yeah I welded plates under the floor. I felt the rear seat belt fixings were to close. I am sure the floor is strong enough, especially with to fixing points per harness. (4 strap, as opposed to 3)

Thanks for confirming that.

I was pretty sure it would be ok - if you look at the underside of the rear seat belt mounting thingy it doesn't look that solid either.

Butler

BTW I used the exact parts Jon has linked to above. I just couldn't find the links on there dubious website.

gti_al
You can buy the eye bolt mounting plates that can be welded under the car and have a captive nut on them... about £1.50 each from Merlin Motorsport:

http://www.merlinmotorsport.com/product_in...roducts_id=3155

Also you can get the eye bolts from there too:

http://www.merlinmotorsport.com/product_in...roducts_id=3146

I missed this before as we posted at the same time...

Anyway, the above bits are exactly what i bought yesterday. The only difference is i paid almost 10 times that for them... (i had no idea what they were worth)

So, if i use that mounting plate on the inside, and something more solid and less attractive underneath i will be ok? I guess it doesn't need to be welded either, as bolting it in will do the same job? (i am useless with a welder)

Can anyone tell me exactly what size drill bit i need to get the right sized hole? I believe all seatbelt bolts are the same size, aren't they?

And jon, i had a look at some of the vids on your site yesterday - i'm liking your car...

Edited by gti_al

TEKNOPUG

I'd use the beam fixing mounts personally.

gti_al
I'd use the beam fixing mounts personally.

If i could do that it would be in a perfect position, but is that likely to end badly...?

Sign in to follow this