• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GLPoomobile

Piston Rings

GLPoomobile

I've had a look at a very nice GTi which has more than likely got knackered valve stem seals and possibly the headgasket is on it's way too. I'm pretty certain I'm going to buy the car but it depends on the possibility of it having dodgy piston rings. I don't mind doing the stem seals and gasket, but piston rings are a different kettle of fish.

When I started the car I was impressed as after about 3 seconds cranking it fired with no throttle, went straight up to 1000 rpm and sat there rock solid (cold day, cold engine). It was turning out a fair bit of white smoke (more like condensation). When the engine was warmed up it would put out a little bit of white with a hint of blue smoke if you blipped the trottle. A bit as you opened the throttle and again when you let off, but nothing if you held it steady open.

There was a fair whack of mayo in the filler cap. Aparently it goes through about a litre of oil every 1000 miles (and has for the last two years) and uses some water. I found no trace of water on the dip stick. The header looked clean but I didn't put anything in to check for oil. It drives smoothly with no noticeable flat spots and idles fine.

So, from the above does it sound like piston rings would stll be a possibility? I'm going to try and get a compression tester before going back to see/buy the car, but want to be prepared.

The haynes manual says to do the compression test on a warm engine but I read on hear that it should be done when cold :)

Also, looking at Haynes, although the pistn ring replacement is in the Engine Out Repair section, it doesn't look that complicated to do (bearing in mind I would be working on the road with the engine in). Am I being niaive? I mentioned it to my mate today and he said he wouldn't recommend it and I would ideally be looking at removing the crank and replaceing the bearings etc as there is no point doing half a job!

DrSeuss

your being naive i'm afraid, its not that easy. I've got a compression tester you can borrow. I'll come with you next time you look at it as well, as you know, i can spot faults on a 205 from 30 paces.

Guest btwstripe

not hard to remove the crank etc whilst on the deck, but an absolute pain in the arse to put back in!

Sign in to follow this