• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
speedy indy

Problem With The 205

speedy indy

The dash has the same lights on as when you switch on the ignition..i.e the STOP light and the oil and temp lights on the dash board (hope this makes sense)

Usually when the engine is on these lights switch off but they dont anymore.

Have checked oil , water , brake fluid ...and alls ok

Oil pressure is fine ....and so is the temp

Engine starts up fine .....

Any ideas why the lights dont switch off ? :blush::(

kevcomdude

I had a similar problem before, and it was the electrical connection to the hand brake.

On mine there is a push button on the front of the hadbrake assembly on the passenger side, try messing around with this.

Kev

Maerten

Could also well be your brake pads are worn, there's a warning system (v crude, there's a wire in the pad at the end, and when its worn it makes contact to mass, and the stop light goes on) but probably one of these wires has come lose and makes contact to mass. Good hunting

Anthony

Excuse me you two, but that's rubbish. The STOP light has NOTHING to do with the brake system at all - worn brake pads will bring the orange worn pad lights on, and the handbrake switch only actives the handbrake light - that's it.

There is only two circumstances that the STOP light will come on - low oil pressure (STOP, oil pressure, coolant temperature lights) or high coolant (STOP and coolant temp only).

If all three lights (STOP, oil pressure, coolant temp) are on, then I'd suspect that either the oil pressure switch is faulty or the wire has been shorted to earth somewhere. I'm assuming here that the oil pressure gauge jumps up as normal, yeah, as if it doesn't then you probably really don't have any oil pressure....

easypug
Excuse me you two, but that's rubbish. The STOP light has NOTHING to do with the brake system at all - worn brake pads will bring the orange worn pad lights on, and the handbrake switch only actives the handbrake light - that's it.

There is only two circumstances that the STOP light will come on - low oil pressure (STOP, oil pressure, coolant temperature lights) or high coolant (STOP and coolant temp only).

If all three lights (STOP, oil pressure, coolant temp) are on, then I'd suspect that either the oil pressure switch is faulty or the wire has been shorted to earth somewhere. I'm assuming here that the oil pressure gauge jumps up as normal, yeah, as if it doesn't then you probably really don't have any oil pressure....

Spot on. This is taken from the main site:

I want to add here, that the STOP light lights up whenever the coolant temp. or the oil pressure becomes critical. The handbrake warning light can also indicate low brake fluid level, if it comes on while driving.

Edited by easypug

speedy indy
I'm assuming here that the oil pressure gauge jumps up as normal, yeah, as if it doesn't then you probably really don't have any oil pressure....

Yes the pressure gauge works fine......

I'll have a look when i get home tonight ....

Maerten

Then i have been misinformed by others who i thought were reliable, my apologies.

Edited by Maerten

j_turnell

Could also be faulty clocks or that your sensor loom is trapped somewhere.....

Sign in to follow this