• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Powers

Mi16 Wiring Problem

Powers

I have just finished installing another Mi16 engine into a 205, however when I turn the ignition 2 clicks (so priming) the starter motor solenoid clicks repeatedly. It is as though it is trying to continuously engage. Obviously I have wired something incorrectly, I am just not sure which one. If someone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers. Alex

DrSeuss

sounds like you've done something along the lines of mixing up the fuel pump and starter solenoid wires. Try disconnecting the wire you think is going to the solenoid and see if it still happens?

Powers

Cheers lads. I will swap the switched + on the 6 pin with the starter on the 9 pin and let you know how i get on.

Thanks again. Alex

Powers

Well today i finally got around to changing the two wires around. But I still have a problem! The starter motor isnt turning and the solenoid continues to click, this time however it is at the engine starting point on the ignition barrel (So position 3).

Do you think i have knackered the starter motor?

When i remove the light blue/grey wire running to the solenoid nothing happens.

The thick black wire is connected properly to the starter and alternator.

jackherer

I doubt you've done any damage to the starter. Try putting a wire from the battery positive to the solenoid spade connector to see if it turns then, if it does check for bad connections on the solenoid feed.

Super Josh

Also check the earth strap connection from battery negative to where it bolts onto the top of the gearbox isn't corroded. This can stop the starter being able to draw enough curent to operate, especially if you've disturbed this connection whilst swapping engines.

Josh

Phil H

Similar fault on mine...everything was clicking.

clicking

Sign in to follow this