• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jim21070

Rusty Fuel Lines

jim21070

Last MOT mine had an advisory that the steel fuel lines were rusty and indeed they are far from pristine and I want to replace them. The thought of the high pressure one bursting does not exactly fill me with glee to be honest.

From where can I obtain replacements and what is involved in the job. I'd prefer genuine pipes and would prefer to do the whole lot from tank to fuel rail..

Any advice gratefully received...

Thanks...

JimyFloyd
Last MOT mine had an advisory that the steel fuel lines were rusty and indeed they are far from pristine and I want to replace them. The thought of the high pressure one bursting does not exactly fill me with glee to be honest.

From where can I obtain replacements and what is involved in the job. I'd prefer genuine pipes and would prefer to do the whole lot from tank to fuel rail..

Any advice gratefully received...

Thanks...

Err if you want genuine.....peugeot dealer then I guess?

Or maybe ebay if you're lucky!

pugrallye

not that pricey from pug, and they still have them, so would be best bet ultimately!

SPGTi

Automec do a kit for the 205 with all pipes cut to length already.

Steve

Dream Weaver

I'm also fancying doing this sometime soon, but have thought of replacing the lines with braided fuel hose and running them inside the car for protection.

Anyone done this?

pugrallye

yes mine is like that, be careful where you route them though, and braided -8 line isnt cheap

Dream Weaver

Braided fuel line is cheap as chips from my local hydraulics supplier, about £1.50 - £2 a foot or something, and rated well over the 3 Bar pressure the fuel pump supplies. :blush:

PS got any pics?

Edited by Dream Weaver

C_W

It's not too difficult and luckily the connections to the tank are easily detatched from the rubber hoses dropping down from it.

The only place you will probably struggle is the bulkhead end (poor access). I replaced mine with the engine out so was pretty easy to get access.

I've used 8mm copper piping, think my dad got it from b&q, looks exactly the same thickness (it's not that thick compared to the relatvie wall thickness of brake lines etc) as the original steel (rust-prone) pipes.

DrSeuss

out of interest c_w how did you bend the tubing? brakeline is easy to bend but copper pipe isn't?

ablister

those mini pipe benders work, the ones that are used for brake pipes. Not that expensive and usually have options for 8+10mm pipe too

ablister

forgot to add, i found a list of prices for the fuel lines

the rubber hoses from the pump to the metal pipes are £14.25 each part no. 1573 38 (same part for feed+return), metal pipes that run under car from rubber pipes are £11.18 each part no. 1579 26 (again, same part no. for both feed+return), feed pipe from metal pipe to fuel filter is £13.85 part no. 1557 70 and return from fuel pressure reg. has 4 different part no.s from £8.36 to £26.94, best check with peugeot to see what is right for your car. Also need all the clips and connectors, they're about £0.50p each

Redtop

Im just after replacing mine the other week. You can get a length of the fuel piping from a pug dealer. NOTE THAT one lenght of the fuel line is enough to do the two pipes up and down the car. Also it is extremely hard to bend but well worth it as it is a nice black finish on the pipes and helps the look of the car underneath.

pugrallye

can get pics, have to pull carpet up again though, lol

ablister

redtop, can you remember what the part no. was for the fuel pipe?

C_W
out of interest c_w how did you bend the tubing? brakeline is easy to bend but copper pipe isn't?

I thought most brake lines were copper these days? :) The copper fuel pipe is really easy to bend as its pretty soft; I started off with taking a straight length from the back and just worked it by hand to clip in the brakcets under the car. I borrowed a pipe-bender to do the tighter bends near the bulkhead (though this was only because I was re-routing them from original) just incased they "folded" if I bent it at a too acute angle.

DrSeuss

Brakelines are copper, but being nice and thick walled you don't have to worry about kinking or crushing them.

paul205mi16

i would love to see pics of both fuel rubber hose routed through the car and brake lines routed through the car with bias valve for the rear disks, I would like to see the routes used and the clips that was used to hold the hose/tube to the floor etc..

these are both one of the next jobs for me to do.

pugrallye

clips used are plastic four way things, which you rivet to floor and then cable tie hose onto (a la competition cars) I ran my brake lines inside too using copper pipe, but was advised to use braided hosing for that too as its easier to route.

If you go onto www.gprdirect.com and look at part number CA2B thats the type of anchors you use.

Actually scrap that, just checked and it doesnt show them on website

here is what they look like, these can either be riveted or stuck on:

http://ncgoddess.com/id_4792818.htm

Edited by pugrallye

SPGTi
i would love to see pics of both fuel rubber hose routed through the car and brake lines routed through the car with bias valve for the rear disks, I would like to see the routes used and the clips that was used to hold the hose/tube to the floor etc..

these are both one of the next jobs for me to do.

Mine will be done by the weekend. Running both fuel and rear brake lines through the car with a bias valve and hydraulic handbrake kit. Butler has pictures of his instal.

Be careful on which pipes are used for fuel through the car as some let the petrol fumes through and is not very pleasant in a confined space.

Steve

C_W
Brakelines are copper, but being nice and thick walled you don't have to worry about kinking or crushing them.

The 8mm copper pipe I used was just like brake pipe to bend (just use your thumb to bend on). I'll admit its not as neat as the original factory pipe underneath the car but it doesn't look too bad.

Redtop

Sorry in being late to reply, but i have steel fuel lines, thats why they wre hard to bend. Haven't got the part number handy but would be friday before i could get it. It's just straight off the laser software that pug is using today. Handy for me owning a pug garage, but won't be in work till Friday.

Sign in to follow this