• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
macaroni

Tight Offside Driveshaft

macaroni

I am trying to remove the offside driveshaft on my xs and I find it to be tight in, I think, the bearing that is pressed into the engine mounting.

I have removed the nuts from the eccentric bolts that hold the bearing in place, but it still won't shift.

Anyone else had such a problem?

Any help gratefully received.

Regards,

Antony

Jonmurgie

It can often get stuck in the engine mount, use a hammer and chisel/screwdriver and give the bearing a tap, that should free it up...

macaroni

I think that is where it is stuck.

Do you mean tap it from the gearbox end?

sonofsam

yep i had this problem,i know you taken the nuts of..have you pushed the bolts forward about 10mm and turn them through 90 degrees,because they have a staking peg on the head of them wich sits in the engine mount and holds the bearing in place.driveshafts do get stuck sometimes even with the bolts completely removed though.hope this helps

Sam.

Edited by sonofsam

macaroni

Thanks chaps. Just finished fitting my mew 'box. Had to take the gearbox mounting out with the shaft in the end as the bearing was so tight. I removed with the aid of a large hammer in the end. Nightmare.

Still, new 'box on, new manifold next weekend and we will be back in business - can't wait!

Sign in to follow this