• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Big_Jimbob

Electrical Problem........

Big_Jimbob

Iv had a little niggly problem for the last couple of days..

My radio goes off when i put full beams on, only for a split second but its annoyin...

Anyway it got worse so that when i put my foot on the brake the radio would go off(obviously the power was being used for the lights).

also the lights have been goin brighter and duller, and fan goin faster and slower in unison randomly..

I thought it was prob the electrical splitter box so i replaced it, with a very clean one, this didnt do the trick..

put a multimeter accross my battery and it is stil well over 12v and over 14v with the car running.

after doing about 100 miles today, i got about 5 miles from home and she gives in, it started running really bad and the lights went dim.. it was really spluttery.

eventually it stopped, i managed to get it in to a family members drive way so it is safe.

when i put the lights on there was full power to them, when i tried to start the car there was only minimal power to the starter it turned then just clicked...

all of the connections to the splitter box are clean and on correctly....

anyone have any other ideas?

im really desperate...........

as its the only car i have on the road.

Pugnut

almost certain you have a bad earth . start at the battery and check the cable from batt neg to 1, the body of the car and 2, the engine. failing that check all earths there are some next to the headlights etc .

also check the positive !

Big_Jimbob

I forgot to mention, it seemed to start the other day, after i had been jumpstarting a mates car....

i noticed the live was loose, so i tightened it up...

dont see how it could be that tho.......

i could understand it being a bad earth

but surely its come on to fast to be that corroded?!?!

thanks

jim

Pugnut

jumpstarting someones car with a flat battery will put extra load on you're alternator that you dont normally get on normal day to day driving , even starting you're own car . this has possibly put extra current onto a bad joint making it even worse .

Edited by Pugnut

Big_Jimbob

Any particular reason u decided to repeat yourself....lol

i will have to have a good go through tomorrow with a fine tooth comb!!

Where are the earths to check??

thanks

jim

Big_Jimbob

Turns out after checking everything, that the alternator is playing up....

it seems to be charging one minute and not the next leaving my battery to run the car... hence flattening it and causing it to run bad!!

but what i cant understand is why the battery light on the dash isnt coming on!

there is litterally no charge at the alternator other than that of the battery....

so surely the dash light should come on......

and ideas?

jackherer
so surely the dash light should come on......

the dash light will only come on if the wire for it is plugged into the alternator... also, with this disconnected the alternator wont always charge so its def worth checking!

Big_Jimbob

will check that now.....

if its not the problem... im goin to get a replacement from the scrap yard tomorrow.

there is a 1.6 cti there i can rob one off, and a diesel too.

which is the best to fit?

both are avaliable.??

thanks

jim

Pugnut
will check that now.....

if its not the problem... im goin to get a replacement from the scrap yard tomorrow.

there is a 1.6 cti there i can rob one off, and a diesel too.

which is the best to fit?

both are avaliable.??

thanks

jim

both should have the current rating stamped on them , the higher the rating the better , iirc the diesel should have the stronger alternator

Big_Jimbob

ok will go and get one tomorrow then, thanks guys for your help and sugguestions...

the warning wire is connected and clean, it does come on when the engine is off, but just never noticed it when the car was playing up..

i just hope a new alternator works!!!

jim

jackherer

going by the voltage readings you gave and the fact the battery light is working I'm not convinced its your alternator at all..

what are the battery clamps like? might be worht getting some replacements if theres any doubt.

Big_Jimbob

I have had the multi meter accross the battery and alternator, it is now reading 10v when running and rapidly decreases... on both

i have checked all the terminals

checked the negative to body for continuity, and to the engine which all checked out fine.....

the car doesnt have enough power to start..... it turns over like twice then dies...

but when i used a good spare battery to start it, then disconnected it, as soon as anything electrical was turned on the car either died or lost power quicker till it ran like it did last night...

popping n spluttering,

im pretty sure its the alternator.

thanks anyway

jim

jackherer
I have had the multi meter accross the battery and alternator, it is now reading 10v when running and rapidly decreases... on both

lol, yeah thats def the alternator then, the multimeter never lies! (unless its battery has run out :()

pee vee
Iv had a little niggly problem for the last couple of days..

My radio goes off when i put full beams on, only for a split second but its annoyin...

Anyway it got worse so that when i put my foot on the brake the radio would go off(obviously the power was being used for the lights).

I have this same problem !

Thing is, ive checked the voltages too, (new battery) and it seems fine.

Also, its a very recent altenator too (previous owner 3k miles ago)

ALSO i have noticed that the radio cuts out if the car is not running and you put the main beams on :s

I was going to try Replacing the 2 main permanent +ves to the Fuse box

and the Earths from the battery to the car and engine....

ive already replaced the cable between the Alt and the battery with a good thick one (didnt really make a differnce)

anyone have any other ideas as to what i can try??

thanks!

Ritmo

Have you checked the earth at the pasenger rear light cluster access from the boot????

If not than its worth checking as my car was doing the same things until I fixed it, as it had rusted away!

hope this is your problem because its easy to fix.

Ritmo :lol:

pee vee

thanks mate

I checked the voltages at the permanent lives

on the fuse board, and they are fine (above 12v anyway)

so im guessing now it could well be an earthing problem :(

hunt for the crap earth then!!

thanks again!

Sign in to follow this