• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gti-hysteria

Full Ashley Or Magnex Back Box?

gti-hysteria

i want a nice sounding exhaust for my cti, ashley systems are cheap but do they sound stupidly loud or nice? i know magnex sound nice but cant afford a full system, so do i go for ashley full system or just a magnex back box. and 3inch tailpipe or 4 inch tailpipe?

number2301

Ohh 4"? You'll get slated for that :D . I've got what I think is a Magnex back box on my 1.9 and its nicely loud but not too loud and since exhausts tend to make naff all (positive) difference I'd go for that option. I could record it on my camera if you wanted?

gti-hysteria

OH THAT WOULD BE GOOD MATE THANX, YEAH I THINK I WILL DO THE MAGNEX BACKBOX OPTION CAN GET A MAGNEX UNIVERSAL 3 INCH BACKBOX FOR £100,

Anthony

Ashley exhausts are stupidly loud frankly, or atleast all the ones I've heard have been.

Magnex backbox seems to be reasonably quiet and unobtrusive - I've got one on my 1.6 GTi coupled to a standard manifold and Arvin center section.

Jonmurgie

Ashely are cheap, s*ite and made of mild steel so won't last...

Magnex are well constructed, made of stainless steel so will last and IMHO look far better that most other styles of system for the 205...

If your downpipe and centre section are in good condition then I'd just go for the Magnex backbox with a view to adding the Manifold and rest of the Magnex system at a later date :D

gti-hysteria

ok cheers guys thats the answer i wanted to hear. magnex it is then.

RHULPUG

Agreed, Magnex I had on my old miami was fine provided you didn't nail it, but avoid 'Ashley" and "Peco" if you respect your ear drums!:D

number2301
Ashely are cheap, s*ite and made of mild steel so won't last...

Magnex are well constructed, made of stainless steel so will last and IMHO look far better that most other styles of system for the 205...

If your downpipe and centre section are in good condition then I'd just go for the Magnex backbox with a view to adding the Manifold and rest of the Magnex system at a later date ;)

That might answer a concern I had, is the uni backbox basically the same thing as you get with the system?

gti-hysteria
That might answer a concern I had, is the uni backbox basically the same thing as you get with the system?

im guessing it will be the same, as a normal 205 backbox has no bends etc, so universals fit good, plus for a magnex direct fit its £150 and a universal magnex £100 i know which one im purchasing. plus more tailpipe options for universal. but im going for the 3 inch.

Wes

bear in mind that you cant buy just the middle section from magnex at a later date, they only sell it as a whole system as far as a know. also get the proper back box to fit the 205, it will only cost bout £20 more and will save the hassle of messing around making brackets etc. this is from my halfords days, we used to get a lot of hassle will the universal boxes, people were spending more getting them fitted than the cost of the proper exhaust made for the car.

number2301

You can't get a magnex centre section but you can get a group N one for about £30 :(

Anthony
You can't get a magnex centre section but you can get a group N one for about £30 :o

Group N mid-pipe is a larger bore than standard by a few mm, and thus doesn't line up with a standard backbox (well, you couldn't probably make it fit, but certainly doesn't "out of the box").

Sign in to follow this