• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Big_Jimbob

How Hot Before Fan Kicks In?

Big_Jimbob

Just wondering how high your needle goes on your temp guage befor your fan kicks in

mine usually gets a few lines from the hottest point, i was just wondering if this is too high?

would it be worth gettin a lower temp switch?

Just it looks a bit on the hot side for my liking, it only get this high when in traffic and dropps as soon as i pull off again, it doesnt go any higher than this tho, which is obviously good.

what does everyone recon?

Thanks

jim

Jonmurgie

If it's just before it's starting to get into the red then yeah, it's a bit high, though saying that the gauges aren't the most accurate things in teh world...

Does it start dropping as soon as the fan does kick in?

Super Josh

Waht speed is the fan running at? Maybe only the high temp part of the circuit is working?

Josh

Anthony

Also depends on which fan switch you've got installed, as there is several different ones that all switch at differing temperatures.

Generally speaking, the slow speed fan comes on just after half way on the gauge, and the full speed on at about 2/3rd's.

Big_Jimbob

Iv only noticed one fan speed, didnt realise there should be 2....

on the gague it resches just over 3/4... and the temp does drop when the fan comes on but then rises again till it comes on again as you would expect......

what do you guys recomend? new switch?

thanks

jim

RHULPUG

At least your fan is actually kicking in...I noticed mine wasn't even plugged in last summer :D

Sounds like the thermostat may be faulty. Some people on here have a separate switch in the cabin where they can turn the fan on manually....always good for keeping you entertained in a trafficjam!

pug_ham

Its pretty rare for the fan to get to high speed imo but the fan switch is what controls.

Personally I'd let it get really hot first & see if the fan comes on high, once low speed is on almost constant it should swap to high, possibly earlier.

Electric cooling fan operating temps (Post april 1987);

1st speed cut-in;
97'c or 88'c*

2nd speed cut-in(where applicable);
101'c

1st speed cut-out;
92'c or 79'c*

2nd speed cut out;
96'c.

*Revised switch with lower operating temperature fitted to certain models

Graham.

Pugnut

if the low speed isn't kicking in it could also be the low speed resistor at fault . its a small silver cylinder about the size of a 'C' cell battery . usually found clipped to back of the rad on the top n/s or dangling thereabouts.

ashley peddle

iv had my fan wired into a 2 way switch ;) never gets above the 2nd bar... if i stop in traffic i just flick the switch... saves me looking at the temp needle all the time to make sure the fans are working as they should...

Big_Jimbob

Rite iv been n checked everything out, my system is preasurising as it should, the fan does come on at low speed when the gague is at 12 o'clock......

it then slowly rises to this position

06012006003.jpg

where the fan has fully cut in and it drops to just before the previous line....

Is this ok?

or would i be better off getting a lower temp switch just to be on the safe side??

Prob me just being paranoid! lol

thanks for your help guys.

jim

pug_ham

Thats fine & sounds just like the figures above say it should do.

My guage shows a similar when the fan cuts in.

Graham.

tom_m
iv had my fan wired into a 2 way switch :lol: never gets above the 2nd bar... if i stop in traffic i just flick the switch... saves me looking at the temp needle all the time to make sure the fans are working as they should...

ditto :)

Big_Jimbob

Ok thanks a lot for your help guys,

its just me being paranoid then!

thanks again

jim

Sign in to follow this