• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sam205gti

I'm Cracking Up

sam205gti

I have been spraying a grill that I got, I have been doing it in a cellar which is quite cold and not that well ventelated, (obviously not the best conditions to paint) although I was wondering if people thought that would cause the primer to crack as it dries or could it be reacting with the paint underneath the primer which had a light sand over.

DSCF1959.jpg

Cheers

Sam

rossimura

Looks too me like it is reacting with the paint below, or a bit of grease sometimes does this....

I get this alot when I fix broken bike fairings.. are you using Haldfords primer ??? (dont worry in my experiance it is quite good)

I've got a few tips

1. Rub it down around the affected areas with 800 grade wet and dry

2. Wash it with warm water and the really cheap washing up liquid (19p a bottle stuff Fairy etc contains alsorts of nasties that dont help paint).

3. Wash in lots of cold water and leave to dry thoroughly.

4. Spray lots of very thin coats of primer (like just a quick flash leave a few minutes and do it again.

5. Keep the work area dry and reasonably warm.

I've just debadged my 309 grill (got rid of the centre spars etc) but I wont be spraying until spring time :angry:

If that doesnt work use a substance called "Barcoat", however you will need an air brush or spray gun. Last time I bought some was from a motor factors at about 16 quid a tin.

Foltan

I painted in my garage in the fog and freezing cold and it didnt do anything like that, so wouldnt have thought that it would be that extreme!!

gti-hysteria

i had the same problem on my grill and headlight brows i thought it was the damp, but i rubbed down and done thinner coats and all went well.

nick-rallye

keep the paint and the grill some were warm before you take it down to the cellar to paint as well

Paintguy

It doesn't really look like it's reacting, as you would probably have smaller 'wrinkles' all over the surface if that were the case.

More likely it's just a case of too much - too soon. Working in a cold, unventilated cellar, the solvents ('thinners') in the primer probably haven't had enough time to flash off ('dry') between coats, and it's skinning over, with only the surface drying out, and loads of solvents trapped underneath. When eventually it does dry out, the shrinkage in the surface film can cause the effect you have.

Follow some of the above advice; Try and warm the grille up somehow before spraying, use thinner coats, and give plenty of drying time in-between them.

ashley peddle

more importantly warm the primer up first... i have a storage heater in the garage where i do my wheels... its FREEZING out there but i never have this problem... i simply put the cans of paint on top of the heater for a couple of minutes before i spray and then give it a good shake... as you and imagine the wheels are metal and outside they get freezing cold - iv never attempted to warm them up and have never had to... :)

Sign in to follow this