• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Foltan

Checking The Gti Rear Beam

Foltan

Hi, im going to look at a GTi rear beam which a guy says he has on a GTi in their breakers yard. Im getting it to put on a 1.4 GTX. Can you give me any tips for checking it, what to look for etc. both in terms of the beam quality and brakes quality.

Also, what sort of price should i expect to pay for a complete one in relatively good condition?

Thanks for any help,

Ian :unsure:

Daxed

Hi Foltan,

I can give you the best piece of advice you will ever hear. PM Anthony(and read through ALL the other beam threads)

I wouldn't know a rear beam if one fell on me.

Foltan

Lol yeah it always seems to be anthony that replies to my questions!! :unsure:

Anthony
Lol yeah it always seems to be anthony that replies to my questions!! :D

Better do so again then, yeah? :lol:

As said, I've said about what to check on rear beam's dozens of times, but the basic summery is that without stripping the beam down there's no way of being 100% sure of it's condition. There are some basic checks that you can do though to see if it's definately knackered.

Since I'm in no mood to retype it all again though, I'll point you in the direction of this thread and this thread too - hopefully that should point you in the right direction, and there's loads of other beam rebuild/checking topics out there :)

As for the going rate, from a scrappy I'd say around £50 is a realistic price. Many out there will try and charge you more than that, but unless you can strip it down there and then, it's simply not worth the risk as there's far too many knackered beams out there - I can't actually remember the last time I found a "good" GTi beam in the scrappy actually come to think of it... -_-

Miles

The main thing to watch with the brakes on base models, Is the rear compensators are built into the slave cyl's in the drum's so when fitting GTI Drum's or Disc's you will not have this and will need fitting.

I'm sure your car will have 4 brake lines, 1 to each courner so if fitting disc's this is easy but with drum's you can either blank one off and use the 1.6 compensator or keep them and run the 1.9 ones

• Like 1

Foltan

Thanks Anthony, as usual! :D

I was hoping i might be able to get away without the compensators :lol:

Im fitting the 283mm 307 brakes on the front so was hoping that theyd balance out!! -_- If i end up in a hedge ill be back on the garage floor! :)

DrSeuss

Those are some pretty hefty brakes for a gtx! Yes the braking should roughly even out if your going to discs on the rear.

Anthony
Im fitting the 283mm 307 brakes on the front so was hoping that theyd balance out!! -_-

Well, with GTi-6 brakes up front I don't run any compensators and it's fine and works well. Never tried it with 307 brakes to say for sure that it works, although logically it should be OK so long as the piston size for the 307 brakes isn't too far off what the GTi-6 ones are...

Try it without compensators first, but find a large wide-open space to do a few hard stops to check everything's OK before venturing out on the public roads and finding out that there's a problem first time you need to use the brakes in anger.

Foltan

Yeah the 307 brakes are fairly close to the GTi6 so hopefully itll work ok, there's an old runway near me where i learnt to drive that i cud test them on! :rolleyes:

Those are some pretty hefty brakes for a gtx!

hehe indeed :D

Sign in to follow this