• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Foltan

Aaaah, It Doesnt Make Sense!

Foltan

Hi, i want to fit the 307 283mm brakes to the front of my 1.4 GTX and a GTi 1.9 rear beam. However im stuck on the mastercylinder. Apparently my 1.4 has a 20.6 mastercylinder, as opposed to the 19.0 in the GTi, so therefore do i leave the mastercylinder as it is? Because surely its just as good as, or better than the others? But why would it be if its a low spec 205!!? Someone please tell me what to get! :unsure:

TEKNOPUG

You'll need the 1.9 Gti hubs and driveshafts before you can fot the 307 brakes....

There isn't a correlation between M/C size and brake performance. I would imagine that a 20.6 would be fine.

Foltan
There isn't a correlation between M/C size and brake performance. I would imagine that a 20.6 would be fine.

Yeah but dont the 'larger' brakes usually get fitted with larger MCs so as to reduce the longer pedal travel?

Anthony

Firstly, you've got it round the wrong way - GTi's have the 20.6mm MC whereas base models have 19mm.

Secondly, the 307 brakes will fit on base model hubs just fine as they're the same offset as 1.9 GTi items (it's 1.6 GTi hubs that are the oddball ones with the strange offset)

Thirdly, the standard 20.6mm MC should be fine. Pedal travel will be longer than with the standard brakes, but not excessively so in my opinion. I believe from what people on here have said, that the 307 brake setup uses smaller pistons than the GTi-6 setup, and I've got GTi-6 brakes on a standard 20.6mm MC just fine :unsure:

Foltan

OK thats cool, thanks.

this site does say that the 1.4 has a 20.6 MC but i think they just mean on the servo models, which mine is (i think). However they also say that the GTi has a 19.0 but i think this must be wrong!! Thanks for your help, hopefully thisll go well!! :unsure::D

Sign in to follow this