• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Chris71

Mystery Fault!

Guest Chris71

On a couple of occasions after being left overnight my car has refused to start, and on inspection its been found NOT to have fuel or a spark comming through. It does however trun the starter motor - I'm told by the alarm people any malfunction with the immobiliser would kill everything (starter included) so I'm ruling that out.

I can only assume its something thats not working and causing the ECU to detect a fault and so not opperate the injectors or the ignition......

One suggestion was the fuel pump? Maybe if the relay or the pump was broken the ECU would detect innadequate fuel pressure and so make no attempt to start??

Thats a guess, can anyone comment or suggest other things to look at?

TEKNOPUG

If the Tachymetric relay (fuel pump) failed, the engine would still turn over (the ECU's aren't that sophisticated). Sounds like it's almost certainly an immobiliser issue as these tap into the ignition and fuel pump circuits.

Anthony

Check the timing lead coming out of the side of the dizzy and the yellow 3-pin plug where it joins the engine management loom - that connector suffers badly from damp and bad connections. Clean it all up, a squirt of WD40, and check the wire is undamaged, and it'll play ball again :blink:

Guest Chris71

Cheers, I'll take a look at those.

The starter motor works fine, it'll turn over, it just doesn't fire in the process.

I'm told by the bloke who fitted the alarm that started is on the same circuit and so it wouldn't crank with an immobiliser fault?? (certainly, you can still immobilise it whilst its playing up and then the starter drops out too)

I'm told another possible problem is the crank position sensor. Whatever it is, sounds like something is confusing the ECU and causing it not to try and fire. I had the AA out first time it did so and whatever the problem is reset itself during his diagnostics, so it was a bit inconclusive, but I'm guessing he'd have noticed if the ECU wasn't powering up in the first place.

jackherer
I'm told another possible problem is the crank position sensor.

it could be the CPS but 205s dont have one as standard (except cat models). EXACTLY which engine does your pug have?

Guest Chris71
it could be the CPS but 205s dont have one as standard (except cat models). EXACTLY which engine does your pug have?

Thats a very good question. As far as I'm aware its a totally standard 1992 (J-reg) 1.9 205 GTi unit. How do identify it?

Never seen underneath to check if it has a cat.

jackherer

look on your air flow meter for the part number starting 0 280 xxx xxx and post it here.

Guest Chris71
look on your air flow meter for the part number starting 0 280 xxx xxx and post it here.

Will do .....its a reconditioned one though, so not sure if that will still have a corresponding part number. Anyway, I'll give it a go when I get out -_-

Sign in to follow this