• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest cips007

Fitting Exhaust

Guest cips007

Hi,

Im looking to get my car on ramps 2moro to fit a full system from manifold back.Question is,i've never fitted one before so just asking if this is quite easy to do and to see if im likely to encounter any problems.The 2 bolts that fix the exhaust to the manifold,are these likely to sheer while undoing andwould I need to buy 2 new ones just to be on safe side?

pacey205

On ramps it should be pretty easy as access to everything will be a piece of piss. Might be worth loosening the downpipe bolts before you stick it on ramps though as You can get a mate to put a spanner on the top and get a socket on the bottom.

I would get a downpipe fitting kit from pug or a local garage. Should include new bolts, new gasket etc.

Michael

Guest cips007

Thanks for that,really appreciate it.I will see if i can get a fitting tomorrow.How much do these sell for

jj205

i always get a manifold fitting kit when taking old downpipes off, if your lucky and there not to badly rusted up they will undo, but there so thin on 205s they dont take much to snap . Dont forget to give all all the nuts and bolts a good blasting with wd40 before atempting to undo anything, i find it always helps.

Id also make sure you renew all the exhaust rubbers aswell even if the old ones look okay, there only cheap and it saves messing about in the future. apart from that just check everyting looks alinged and non of the system is catching the body, and that it hangs off its rubber mounts correctly, and not just in mid air or twisted and therefore not carrying the weight of the exhaust.

jonathan

Guest cips007

Was chuffed to bits as car has just flown through its MOT and only advice was exhaust was corroded which I knew about,so the cash I put on one side for unneeded repairs will go to buy a manifold kit and new rubbers.Are the fitting kits pretty much all the same or will I need to order one for my 205 from my local pug dealer or do halford and the like sell these kits too?

jj205

Nice one with the MOT, the fitting kits dont cost that much really, its basically the two stud/bolts things with the 2springs and 2 new nuts and these paper type washers and some metal caps to hold to hold it all together. and you normanly get a big wire mesh type seal in the kit. the wire mesh seal fits on the manifold casting and the downpipe fits over it, normanly these are worn and a bit of the wire is broken looking other wise i leave them, i find they camn be fidley getting off especially in the engine bay you need to pick at them with a screw driver.

the kits are usually about 15-20 quid as a remember, i got mine from autofive so still pug parts but im not sure about dealer prices or if halfords, and the rubbers are about 2 or 3 quid,

205 exhaust have always seemed cheap to me, is your a GTI, if it is i recomend a group N system, the only down side is there very loud.

jonathan

Guest cips007

I actually bought the virtually brand new standard system with a s/s longlife rear box off ebay a few weeks ago so will be fitting this.It has a 4" oval tailpipe and im hoping this isn't going to sound over the top,if it does I'll be replacing rear box with a standard one.Thank you very much for all your info/help,will be getting car on ramps tomorrow so will let you know how I get on.Thanks once again

Chris

Guest cips007

Just one more thing...My GTi is an F 89,does this mean its a 3 or 2 part exhaust system or if renewing whole system from manifold will this not make a difference.Im only asking as the exhaust I bought was from an F reg GTi and is a 2 part system,but while looking on sites for fitting kits they actually state upto 89 is a 3 part system...!

Chris

Alastairh

Tbh we can only guess from here, best just looking under the car now and look and work it out.

Make sure you get the correct join for the back box (olive or sleve).

Well worth replacing the 2 main springing me bob bolts, make a note how they come apart aswell.

If in dought get a small hack saw on them, if there rusted and round like most of them tend to do :blink:

Alastair

pug_ham
My GTi is an F 89,does this mean its a 3 or 2 part exhaust system or if renewing whole system from manifold will this not make a difference.Im only asking as the exhaust I bought was from an F reg GTi and is a 2 part system,but while looking on sites for fitting kits they actually state upto 89 is a 3 part system...!
An 89 F could be either as this is the change over year but I think your should be a two piece system.

Easy to find out though. Look underneath the car &near the drivers door & see if there is a joint & clamp on the exhaust pipe in front of the centre box. If there is you have a three piece system.

Graham.

Guest cips007

I'll check to see if 3 or 2 part.If fitting full system from manifold would a 2 part replace a 3 part without any problems

Chris

pug_ham
If fitting full system from manifold would a 2 part replace a 3 part without any problems
Yes, should fit with no problems.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this