• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Pug_sport

Cuts Out On Left Hand Corners

Pug_sport

Tonight I was dropping my sis in law home but when turning into her drive my little 1.9 died.

I eventually worked out that it only cuts out on left handed corners and the speed doesn't matter, as long as your moving it will cut out.

The amount of revs don't seem to make a difference either, no matter what you do it cuts out.

It seems like it is electrical but im not sure, I thought i would ask if anybody has any ideas what is causing it or may know how to fix it.

Any advice is good.

Thanks.

jochem

Does it restart shortly after? Do other electrics keep working?

Anthony

When it cuts out, what happens? Does the engine just lose all power, does the rev counter still read when it happens (assuming you're moving with the car in gear), and when it dies does it do so in an instant or sort of cough and splutter first?

jshep205gti

Pugsport... have you checked your oil? My 205 hates it when the oil gets low.

Shep

Pug_sport

The other electrics stay on.

It doesn't splutter it just dies, if it is in gear when you straighten up again it starts again.

It's that sudden that if you are going quick enough you get lots of lift off oversteer which is kind of dangerous if your not expecting it.

The rev counter drops as it cuts out like it would if you turned the ignition off.

Pug_sport

please somebody Help!!!!!

:)

jackherer

theres a small wire coming off the distributor, the plug on it can come lose or corrode and cause this problem...

C_W

Check that the wiring loom is not snagging on the steering column joint bolt in the driver's footwell; there are 2 multi plugs on the left where the heater matrix pipes are. Make sure the wiring is clear of the column.

Anthony
theres a small wire coming off the distributor, the plug on it can come lose or corrode and cause this problem...

Yup, I'd go with that or the connector on the ignition amp being loose.

If the rev counter drops to zero even with the engine turning over, then you've either lost the ignition +12v feed or you're loosing the timing signal (the lead mentioned by Jackherer above, although in addition to the connector mentioned it's worth checking that the wire hasn't broken where it joins the dizzy body as I've seen that before a few times) or getting no output from the ignition amp (which feeds the coil and rev counter)

Pug_sport

Yipee i have solved the problem.

It was one of the connectors under the power block fuse block thingy attached to the slam panel. It was coming out so when you turned corners it would loose the connection.

Pushed the plug back in and it works fine again.

Thanks for all the idea's.

Guest btwstripe

now this is why i joined this forum! ingenius!!

Sign in to follow this