• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest FT160

Clutch Pedal Very Stiff And Remains On Floor

Guest FT160

Went to move car today. Pressed clutch pedal in and after noticing it was very heavy and notchy, the pedal remained on the floor. Went to move the pedal back up to the engaged position by hand. Did this a few times and then heard a 'twang'. I think the nipple on the end of the cable has come out of the top of the pedal....

From the limited description above, does it just sound like the cable has got some moisture in it and partially seized, or has anyone had any experience of the clutch release lever itself becoming stiff? If it's the lever, what is involved in sorting this out?

What is the standard procedure for replacing the clutch cable? i.e which end first and how do I manually move the clutch release lever arm to fit the new cable?

thanks in advance.

Happy new year!

vikgti

Sounds like you cable has snapped.

They do run close to the manifold so go suffer from beign heated up all the time.

You don't say what gearbox you have BE1 or BE3?

If you have Be1 then reverse is next to first and if you cable has snapped then your little clutch rod will of fallen out from the clutch arm on gearbox.

Doing the clutch cable is easy start at pedal end and work your way to gearbox, but if you do a search you will find more on this.

pug_ham

If it is a Be1 gearbox then it might be the gearbox quadrant has snapped, quite a common thing.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this