• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
PhilCTI

Door Moulding Rivets

PhilCTI

One of the jobs I've got left is to replace the rivets for the moulding on the passenger door which are missing

because the door must have been repaired by the previous owner as all but two of the rivets & holes are gone.

From previous threads I'll probably try the Dean Hunter Parts place for the rivets, but I was wondering how they

fix on? is it with a rivet gun as one end is plastic, or do you need any special tools?

many thanks,

Phil

Daz_C
is it with a rivet gun as one end is plastic, or do you need any special tools?

many thanks,

Phil

I thought the rivets were all ally ?

From what I can remember they fit using a rivet gun.

PhilCTI
I thought the rivets were all ally ?

From what I can remember they fit using a rivet gun.

Thanks Daz,

I must admit I haven't looked too closely at them yet, in the middle of spraying wheels, bumpers and trims at the moment and just trying to plan ahead,

If they go on with a rivet gun thats great,

thanks,

Phil

Emmy Seize

Hi,

the rivets go on with a rivet gun and they are made of some sort of alloy.

You better pay your Peugeot dealer a visit soon as these rivets are said to be no longer available.

Hence I ordered the number neccessary for three cars and all the dealer was able to deliver was the strange amount of 17 rivets.

Martin

Guest wils3

Phil, have the door card of so you can properly inspect the other rivets back side that you cant normally see also to get 100% good fit, and inspect these for any corrosion as water will run down from the window seals and sometimes the water will settle on the backs of the rivets and then starts corrosion.

Then while your there slap some rust proof (waxoyl etc.) on your door inside/s and over the old & newly fitted rivets.

It may seem alot of mucking about to do that lot just to fit the rivets but it will pay off as it makes fitting the rivets easier in a way and you can check the rivet backs when fitted to check there properly fitted and if the rustproof is applied, also rustproof door/s.

Ooo yer stick some new doorpins in while your there for what they cost, unless you allready done them.

Thought i would mention as from what i have read on this forum in the past.

Phil, you spraying them wheels, bumpers and trims yourself?

PhilCTI
Phil, have the door card of so you can properly inspect the other rivets back side that you cant normally see also to get 100% good fit, and inspect these for any corrosion as water will run down from the window seals and sometimes the water will settle on the backs of the rivets and then starts corrosion.

Then while your there slap some rust proof (waxoyl etc.) on your door inside/s and over the old & newly fitted rivets.

It may seem alot of mucking about to do that lot just to fit the rivets but it will pay off as it makes fitting the rivets easier in a way and you can check the rivet backs when fitted to check there properly fitted and if the rustproof is applied, also rustproof door/s.

Ooo yer stick some new doorpins in while your there for what they cost, unless you allready done them.

Thought i would mention as from what i have read on this forum in the past.

Phil, you spraying them wheels, bumpers and trims yourself?

Thanks for the info Wils,

I've got the door card off as I needed to check the inside of the door as the door window seals were not the correct size and looked to be leaking, nothing too bad I'm glad to say.

some of the old rivet ends are still there so I'll remove them first, I just have to get the new rivet holes in the right place!

good tip about the door pins, I must do that,

Yes, I am spraying the wheels bumpers and trims myself, it's taken longer than I thought to do the wheels but two are finished and the other two just need the lacquer rubbed down and done again as I got a bit carried away and had a couple of runs. I agree with whats been said on this forum and the articles on the main site that the more time you take rubbing down and getting it right between coats the better.

The rear bumper and trims are looking much better, I mostly followed the article on the main site, I'm changing them to black from grey, with the car being white I think it looks much better

you can see the start of the wheels being done if you follow the link on my signature, the yellow filler primer looks weird but worked well,

thanks again,

Phil

Guest wils3

Im getting more and more tempted to spray my 1.9 wheels myself as i was gonna get them 'powder coated' from some place up the road from me but not sure now.

What grit paper did you use to key the bumper and trims?

PhilCTI
Im getting more and more tempted to spray my 1.9 wheels myself as i was gonna get them 'powder coated' from some place up the road from me but not sure now.

What grit paper did you use to key the bumper and trims?

To be honest I didn't use as much paper on the trims compared to the wheels, the guides mentioned 1200 and 1500 grit, but the finest in the pack I bought was 600 grit.

I used the bumper preparation spray from halfords which cleaned off the trims well, then just a light rub with the 600 grit inbetween coats of their plastic bumper spray and the clear lacquer, I'm in two minds now whether to rub the final lacquer coat to take some of the shine off, but it's a vast improvement on what they were to start with.

I'm getting to that stage where all I seem to do is take things off and apart, and it will be nice to start actually putting things back on the car, I'll get the tyres put on the wheels and then fit them next week and that will make me feel better. I bought the car as a sorn, so I've never actually driven it yet apart from down my sideway, so I can't wait!

As for your wheels, go for it, just take your time, if there's anything you don't like just rub them down some more and try again, the only problem I had was the filler primer went on well, nice and thick, but the normal primer I used after rubbing that down was very thin and caused alot of drips and runs and I wished I hadn't bothered with it,

Phil

PhilCTI

Today I went to order the rivets from peugeot parts and was told I needed to order some rubber parts for these too, and I was confused about what he meant

I was under the impression that the side mouldings fitted directly on to the rivets, or does he mean the parts that hold the red trim in?

If someone could shed some light on this for me I would appreciate it,

thanks,

Phil

Guest wils3

PhilCTI: I bought the car as a sorn, so I've never actually driven it yet apart from down my sideway, so I can't wait!

Same as me mate, bought the 1.6 GTi for £120 then had to sorn it while im busy experimenting on it, and like you to, i have driven mine for about 1 minute in a tight work yard so after i have eventually done the work i intend doing, i cant wait to drive it.

PhilCTI: Today I went to order the rivets from peugeot parts and was told I needed to order some rubber parts for these too, and I was confused about what he meant

I was under the impression that the side mouldings fitted directly on to the rivets, or does he mean the parts that hold the red trim in?

???? Dont know what he means?

As far as i know you have the rivets sticking out the door, Then trim goes on, then with the rivet heads poking through the trim you attach the plastic slide clips on the rivet heads which then holds the trim in place, then slide the red cover on over the plastic slide clips making sure plastic slide clips have been put on rivets right way so the red trim can slide on slide clips.

Phil have you got the '' Peugeot Parts CD1 & CD2 '' ?

PhilCTI

Thanks Wils,

I'm sure all I need is the rivets, as I've got all the mouldings, red trims and clips,

I've got a two disc peugeot parts cd with the 205 on disc 2, It doesn't seem to cover everything, is there a better one around?

Guest wils3

PhilCTI: I've got a two disc peugeot parts cd with the 205 on disc 2, It doesn't seem to cover everything, is there a better one around?

I think you have the same cd's as me then, Not every single bit is covered.

There is i think another 1 or maybe 2 versions about not sure, someone else may know but your 1 you got probably covers as much as you need know.

Good luck with fitting the trims, i did look at your site at the finished products of trims and wheels and decided im gonna do my wheels myself, good job on yours.

Sign in to follow this