• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
smckeown

Ecu Maps

rich_w

I really wouldn't bother - sorry to be negative, but all you need is some muppet that doesnt understand the words "base map" to destory his engine and come after you for compsention, but saying it could happen but it might.

As stated above its very diffcuit to compare maps, i think we are better off requesting maps in this sub-section than having a easy-downloadable list.

Robsbc
yeah i can understand people not wanting to put them into the public domain, i have no problem with that. But there may be some people (myself included eventually) who have no probs putting their map up on here.

What I do think is wrong is people saying this is a pointless thread, i think that's bollox myself.

It might also be good that the people in the know can comment on the maps themselves, could get interesting in my opinion

Sean, I have got the following maps :-

SBC 1.9 GTI-S on tb's

SBC Mi16 ultimate roadspeed spec

Standard Mi16 on tb's

Pug 306 S16 on tb's

Sandy

I have no problem with sharing maps I have produced myself from a possesive point of view, god knows I struggled to get info when I started setting up my first ECU; but maps written by proffesional mappers should not be shared without their permission; morally it is their intellectual property, much like music or the written word.

But having seen how mismatched maps can be for the very same engine in a different car, let alone with a different ECU or mods, I cannot recommend map posting. If someone chooses to share a map with someone they know and trust to use it intelligently, then fine, ideally help them set it up? But just posting them is potentially an issue for the supplier, user and forum.

I tried transposing a good known map from DTA E48 to Emerald 500 format for Sam, it was an unmitigated nightmare. there was endless complications of injection method, duty cycle limitations, minor settings, load site compression, you don't really want to know; in the end i just went to his place and helped him set it up. Faster, safer and more effective.

Edited by sandy309

smckeown

now thats a much more interesting reply.

What about comparing maps between the same ECU manufacturers, and receiving better base maps for the same ECU as you have from this thread ?

jackherer
I have no problem with sharing maps I have produced myself from a possesive point of view, god knows I struggled to get info when I started setting up my first ECU; but maps written by proffesional mappers should not be shared without their permission; morally it is their intellectual property, much like music or the written word.

are you sure about that? If I pay a professional musician or writer to produce something for me then I would own the copyright to that, how does an ecu map differ from that?

Edited by jackherer

Sandy

Gee thanks! :)

There are still potential issues between identical ECU's, it's probably something best kept personal. Perhaps say what ECU you have used and on what engines, so that anyone who has a simiar project can't discuss it with you?

ie...

I have used and have good and/or rough maps for.....

DTA E48 on:

TU3 modified and bodies

TU5 standard and modified

TU5J4 standard and modified/bodies

XU9J4 modified/bodies

Emerald M3D on:

XU9J4 bodies

Omex 500 on:

TU5 modifed/bodies

MBE ignition only on:

C20XE modified/carbs

are you sure about that? If I pay a professional musician or writer to produce something for me then I would own the copyright to that, how does an ecu map differ from that?

I have no idea of the legal situation, but morally I don't think it should be shared randomly, it is part of their living after all.

Jonmurgie

I think you will find it's called intellectual copyright and that will remain with the original mapper unless you have specifically requested to buy the full copyright from them :)

DrSeuss

Yes, Jonmurgie is right. However its a shady area. And seeing that this forum have on occassion blatantly disregarded copyright law, i'm still not convinced its a valid argument.

Perhaps one answer would be to transcribe them to topographical maps. Then post screenshots of the data? That way, the numbers cannot be transcribed from the screen into a death trap?

And we all get pretty pictures to look at :)

Sam
:) how do you work that out?

Because they didn't have their pants pulled down by a mapper on more money than they should be, as half of them are crap ;)

huckleberry

You own the right to exploit it and get money out of it. If I play that music in my own house on my guitar they can try the court but I'll laugh my ass off. Unless someone is trying to sell it there is no problem at all. Next to that if you differ a few parameter on a few of the 10s of tables there is no problem at all. Then again I don't even know how someone could find out his or her map is being used again. All the superchip ECU's on Ebay might as well be only one copied 10s of times. I think it is much harder to prove on a map than on music.

M3Evo
Sandy, this is about collecting peugeot engine specific maps and their associated engine mods. First reason is to get a good base map, better than the base ones supplied. Secondly it would actually be interesting to see how some maps differ for different mods etc.

Not really sure that the make of engine makes all that much difference does it? (Just me putting my oar in again!)

Both me and this other guy who were supplied with a map for a VR6 turbo engine which he couldn't get to work when he went to start his engine.

I suggested that a map for a 2v engine might get us closer than the 4v one, only with the MAP correction etc nicked from the VR6 map (was a wild stab in the dark but seemed to make sense!)

Anyway, seemed to work pretty well in the end.

IvarS

I could post a screenshot of my MS map but it would be useless to someone not running the same injectors as I am. They are fitted to Volvo V70 2.4T and flows 297cm3/min @ 3 bar.

If someone is running a std Mi16 engine on std injectors however, I don't see why that information couldn't be used on a similar engine running the same ECU, without leaving it as it is. It works when you change the Motronic ECU so why not?

Mad Professor

I am with smckeown on this one.

I would love to see eveyone maps, that way you can compair or see the dif in the maps from ECU Types, Engine, and mod's.

Of curse no two engines are going to be the same.

But you would have a good starting point.

With me and my MegaSquirt, I have had to start from nothing and it has taken me ages to get my car drivable, but at last it is very close.

I have no problems shareing my maps and settings with peps, as that is what this fourm is all about.

I have spent loads of time and money into getting my ECU up and running, and at some point soon, i will even take the car to get mapped by someone in the know, and once again I will share that data, As at some point it might help someone else.

tom_m
You own the right to exploit it and get money out of it.

no you don't, thats why musicians get royalties everytime their song is played in public and why pubs need entertainment licences etc.

if you have a guituar you can do what you like with it in your own home, but playing for money needs to be in a licenced venue (why busking is illegal)

same with a cd, you are allowed to play it for your own listening pleasure, but as soo as you start broadcasting it publically you need to pay royalties in the form of an entertainment licence.

i think a mapper would see it in the same light. as long as the map stays on your ecu in your car you are free to use it. but take it off and give it to someone else and it stops being for your own personal use.

DJ_ManuR6

So....Can anybody share me a base map to start with my mi16 engine on 45 jenvey tbs and standard injectors please :D

Cheers

petert

What ECU? TPS or MAP sensing?

DJ_ManuR6

Sorry, im beginer on this..... :P

Its a vems, im using O2 sensor and TPS, with 45 jenveys, 11,6:1 compresion ratio forged pistons and standard injectors.

All help is much appreciated.

Cheers

petert

Where's the VEMS software? I can't see the standard injectors being able to cope with that. They will certainly be on the limit! Idle will be 2.8ms and 7.8ms at full load, 5000 rpm.

DJ_ManuR6

Hi mate, im using megatune. Which injectors should i use? can i start with this injectors to start engine and road it a bit and then change it for others?

Cheers

petert
Hi mate, im using megatune. Which injectors should i use? can i start with this injectors to start engine and road it a bit and then change it for others?

Cheers

You can do that, but then you'll have to map it all again. If you point me to the Megatune software I can have a look for you.

DJ_ManuR6

I can do whatever you want me to do mate. Just tell me what you/I need to do and i will.

I can understand you very well when you mean to point you to the megatune software.

Cheers

Jesper Cronelid

I would like a basemap to a xu10j2te with megasquirt. Just one to get me starting and run my new camshaft in! :D

Edited by Jesper Cronelid

Sign in to follow this