• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest naughtymutt

Dead Electrical

Guest naughtymutt

I had the electrics working on my car last time I was working on it. Went today and it showed dim dash lights (the STOP, coolant warning etc). Charged the battery and now there is nothing.

Checked earth and wiring , fuses etc and nothing is wrong. Any ideas where to look next?

Alex G

does the car start?

maybe you moved the rheostat for dimming the dash

jackherer

what condition are the battery clamps in? once you're sure they're sorted follow the wire from the positive terminal to the small black plastic power distribution box on the slam panel and check its connected properly there, I've known the ring connector to break more than once.

Guest naughtymutt
what condition are the battery clamps in? once you're sure they're sorted follow the wire from the positive terminal to the small black plastic power distribution box on the slam panel and check its connected properly there, I've known the ring connector to break more than once.

the car doesnt turn over. I will check the power box again tomorrow.

Richie-Van-GTi

check the earth strap on the gearbox. Ive had similar a few times and its always come down to that!

Guest naughtymutt

I have checked the earth strap on the gearbox, it is fine. I have also checked that the battery is connected to the power distro box and it is.

I am thinking that perhaps the battery has a dead cell.

Guest naughtymutt

Check the earths with a multimeter today.

The battery was showing around 11.5 volts when it wasnt connected. When it was connected to the car it dropped to .15 (ie less than a quarter of a volt). It was the same on the power distro box and also when I checked it using the Gearbox earth point and the one by the coil.

Is there supposed to be anything else connected to the gearbox earth. I have two other leads both green and white. which appear to come from the loom that runs around the engine.

jackherer

that batteries dead mate.

Redtop

Thta battery sound as if its had it good days over it. Get a decent battery[varta] or something and you can't go wrong. If your still haveing probs check all the earths and clean them if they are corroded. Also check you alternator is working correctly when your new bat is in. Should be 13.1-13.9 roughly volts when running vehicle.

Guest naughtymutt
Thta battery sound as if its had it good days over it. Get a decent battery[varta] or something and you can't go wrong. If your still haveing probs check all the earths and clean them if they are corroded. Also check you alternator is working correctly when your new bat is in. Should be 13.1-13.9 roughly volts when running vehicle.

It was the battery.

Sign in to follow this