• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
adam_young

Sound Of Mi Engine

adam_young

My wife reckons I have spent loads of money to put a washing machine engine under the bonnet. She has a point though - why does the engine whine like something out of a Metro?

Edited by adam_young

Pugnut
My wife reckons I have spent loads of money to put a washing machine engine under the bonnet. She has a point though - why does the engine whine like something out of a Metro?

slacken you're timing belt!!

get it adjusted properly .

i guess it could be the alternator belt , but more likely to be the cambelt

it wont be doing you're water pump any favours

Edited by Pugnut

Anthony

They definately shouldn't make an obvious whining sound, and as said above, check for an over-tensionered cambelt (as that's the exact sound they make, having done it myself first time I did an Mi cambelt :))

Sandy

If it's been overtight, there's a good chance the tensioners bearings will be mullered. I highly recommend you chnange both tensioners.

C_W

Mine whines occassionally if its quite cold but stops when its warmed up but its not someting you can hear when driving.

adam_young

So now you have me worried, but it could just be my ears. Will have to pop down the road and visit GhostCav to see what his sounds like.

205turbz
Quick ones do whine!! :D

Maxi

Id have to agree.....Ive previously had two 205 mi16s, and both of them used to whine and were bloody quick ones :D:lol: even in standard form...

Has it been whining all the time or just started too..ifso, id be worried to..... :)

Alex.....

tidypug

whats the best way to tension up the belt tho? I thought it was about right when you can turn the longest run by 90 deg, which i've done and it still wines.

Col

could maybe be a pulley?

tidypug

i hope not, i replaced them about them both when i put the engine back togather last time, did about 200 miles took head off then put it all back together again. I'll double check that i've not over tightened the belt. I've used gsf pulley's could that be the problem?

Col

worth noting that maybe next time try and use euro car parts. they are a parts dealer for citroen so theres a far better chance of getting OE parts

sorr

I would also check that it is not the alternator before going to the hassle of checking the timming belt. I have a noisey bearing on mine that makes it whine like a supercharger.

Redtop

As sorr says just take the alternator belt off for a while and listen. Would be best to try all them wee simple things out first before you jump to a big conclusion and start into the heavy stuff. If you did that then you might end up kicking yourself!

Edd-XS

just to add, my mates 106 GTi makes a whining/whistling noise... only mods are an ecosse ram air filter, and a peco back box, so what are peoples thoughts? its fecking quick, and as said, sounds like a supercharger or something! is it a similar thing?

Edd

Col
just to add, my mates 106 GTi makes a whining/whistling noise... only mods are an ecosse ram air filter, and a peco back box, so what are peoples thoughts? its fecking quick, and as said, sounds like a supercharger or something! is it a similar thing?

Edd

my 106 does the same wi a induction kit and decat

Alastairh

My 106 whines now :rolleyes:

Its French *shrugs shoulders*

Alastair

Edited by Alastairh

Guest davetibbs

Older Renault engines are the worst for whining!

Renault Espaces make a hell of a racket.

Pugnut

maybe its aftermarket cambelts ?

i've seen a few with different shaped teeth

nick

Mine used to whine when it got hot, I tried to re-tension the belt but it still did it.

It had new tensioners, water pump and a Gates belt. I never did get to the boTTOM OF IT.

nICK

Sign in to follow this