• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest SmokingMesaMan

Possible Project

Guest SmokingMesaMan

Alright guys, my 17yr old 1.9 8v has seen better days...so instead of a half baked job I was thinking;

I'm thinking about a "bit" of a project, something like getting a decent condition (as in the body) car and stripping it down and sorting any rust, ie dip etc it get a full respray whilst a shell (should be cheaper).

However I'm sure that this is a ballache of a job to do as EVERYTHING needs to be removed. It might just be better (and ultimately cheaper) to get a car that's got shagged mechanical but the body work is in great condition and then do a semi-strip change things like the rear beam and wack a Mi16 in it.

So I guess I'm asking;

Has anyone else done this before? If so what was the experience like? Worth it?

Are decent shells around? Or are they mainly restored ones that go with decent cars?

Would a total strip, dip and rebuild be worth it or is that serious work?

Any kind of help appreciated.

-Rob-

Ben Allen

Have a look at Paintguy's and Taylorspug's 205 GTi restorations if you want to see how much work it could be for you potentially.

Paintguy's picture diary is here (look at the bodywork section for the full restoration)

Taylorspug's one is here

Alastairh

I am right in the middle of it.

Myself and James Turnell off here are building a track car, and im doing all its prep work for the spray.

Im having to do the work in my single garage, But if you have the enthusiasm to do it, and be prepared for late night/early morning go for it.

Pictures

Im just about to pull the car out the garage and get cracking on the drivers side :D

Alastair

Guest SmokingMesaMan

Woah just spent the last hour looking through all those pics. Man rust is a bitch. Seems like a HELL of a lot or work, but also seems worth it. My other problems are a lack of any space/garage to strip down (might have to be done professionally) and don't have the skills needed for a full strip. I think doing something like that Custom Miami Blue (Ben's) might be a good way, strip most out and work on it like that. Although that guys got the space the tools and the ability. Makes me sick, lol wanna do mine for me?

:o:D:o

de Noir
Woah just spent the last hour looking through all those pics. Man rust is a bitch. Seems like a HELL of a lot or work, but also seems worth it. My other problems are a lack of any space/garage to strip down (might have to be done professionally) and don't have the skills needed for a full strip. I think doing something like that Custom Miami Blue (Ben's) might be a good way, strip most out and work on it like that. Although that guys got the space the tools and the ability. Makes me sick, lol wanna do mine for me?

:o:):P

Full strip isn't much of a problem, as long you spend ENOUGH time studying and preparing for the job, get right tools and keep EXACT track of what have you removed from where (written notes, drawings, photos, labels) and as long you keep your removed parts bin storage-list TIDY!

It's also MUCH more convinient and entertaining to do it by yourself, and IMHO loving and caring amateur hands are always better than cold professional approach! Ideal would be to combine both worlds..

I stripped the donor car for my project in total 4 working days, max. 40 hours of work... It was a nice training for the real stuff that I'm about to tackle these days.

So, I suggest you find yourself a nice, warm and roomy place to work, and go for it young man! :P

Edited by MH_

Ben Allen

I prepped the whole of my old Mini Clubman when I had that resprayed. It wasn't that difficult to be honest, it just took time.

It's a bit of a boring process with the old orbital sander, but get the car in a nice warm garage with the radio on and overall it's pretty simple to do, as well as extremely satisfying when the job's done.

P1010001.sized.jpg

More pics of what it used to look like: http://ben.loaded.net/gallery/view_album.p...lbumName=1275gt

Edited by Ben Allen

TEKNOPUG

The shells are galvanised so there shouldn't be any rust except for the NS inner arch and the battery tray. If the body has a lot of rust then I suggest you just bin it and find a sound non-runner to you as a base instead.

de Noir

Go for the car/shell with minimum rust. On a well kept GTI rust isn't an issue at all.

Alan_M

I rebuilt my 205 from scratch and its not that hard a job, as long as you know what you're doing.

Bought my 205 from Anthony for a measly sum, after extensive examining of the shell for crash damage and rot. Decided it was a straight shell with rot in the normal places, stripped it to bare shell and built it up with rebuilt Mi and all new drivetrain & related mechanics.

Got the rot sorted a while ago by PaintGuy and is now 99% sorted, apart from a hole in the inner passenger side footwell which is due to be sorted next week.

Not done the respray yet, but its on the cards. Not how much your budgeting on, but I think my receipts total something around £3,500 to £4,000 and that includes a rebuilt Mi16 lump.

Pictures of project can be seen below ;)

sorrentopocketrocket

Get yourself a tidy shell and get stuck in!! Well worth it when your finished.

Sign in to follow this