• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Longun

Cold Heater

Longun

Ah now thats interesting. Would that cause the water to get warm but not piping hot as it keeps circulating? The water is hot, too hot to touch for long but I was able to cope for a little while when checking the bleeds with it running at full temp.

Is there any easy way to check the thermostat and which pipe is in on? I'm going to assume the pipe at the top right of the block?

Thanks Alex -_-

GLPoomobile

The thermostat is inside the round shaped thing under the dizzy, where the coolant pipes connect. You take the top off (two bolts, possibly 10mm) and the thermostat can be pulled out.

You can pop it in a jug of water and heat it up, then watch to see if it opens at the set temp, but you will need a thermometer. If you have to pay a few quid for thermometer then why not just spend £6-7 on a new thermostat and save the mucking around.

If you get one from GSF they don't include the rubber gasket, so you would need to get one from pug. Halfords thermostats are a rip off, so don't even bother.

Longun

Cheers I'll just grab a new one and give it a try then as they are so cheap. Thanks both -_-

ALEX

You should be able to see if it's faulty when you take it out. The plunger in the thermostat wont fully seal when its cold.

If you can still blow air through it after 10 mins of cooling down then it's the thermostat thats bust.

Longun

Finally got round to doing this Yesterday. It was the thermostat :D Lost my header tank cap tho ^_^:) Couldn't find a second hand one so nipped to pug as there only £8. Got home. Didn't fit had to shave loads of plastic off it to get it on :D Also it seems my 1.6 has a 1.9 header tank -_- Might just be because its a late reg 1.6.

Thanks again all :D

jackherer

I dont think theres any difference between 1.6 and 1.9 headers, just early and late - early ones are light coloured and '92 ish on are black

ALEX

I had to buy a new cap for the header too.

They don't make the original metal 205 design anymore as the black plastic 206 one is supposed to be interchangable.

Mine did fit but it's a bit tight. There's a techneque for taking it on and off.

I looks better than the original too IMHO.

Longun

Thats probaly it then. I was trying all sorts to get it on in the end just took a file to it. It does look better, well its the cleanest thing in there at the moment :ph34r:

Sign in to follow this