• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
driversdomainuk

Konis

driversdomainuk

Right, enough of this pissing around..I have finally decided to buy a set of Koni adjustables for my 205 - Motorsportworld charge £370ish I think.

I need to know, as I will also have poly race bushes, Grp N engine mounts, Grp N top mounts and Grp A rear mounts, what will the ride be like if I keep the Konis on the very hardest settings all the time..???

To be honest, I do about 50 miles a month in the car and the reason being is that I know its a pain changing the rear settings, so am going to keep them on one setting (i.e the hardest!!) and be done with it.

Before you all think I am totally insane, I cars purpose is for hill climbing so comfort is of no importance - just need to be quicker than everyone else in my group next season LOL

HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYONE - THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP OVER THIS YEAR WITH MY MANY A NOVICE QUESTION, MUCH APPRECIATED. :)

C_W

The "hardest" setting on the rear = concrete and you'll probably find the rear end will just constantly skip around.

I run mine on soft and they are much firmer than most shocks on that setting. I ran it on firmer settings than this (never full hardest) and it never settled and just skipped and hopped all the time.

Not sure what hill climbs are like (surface-wise) but I'd go for something in the middle.

Edited by C_W

DrSeuss

I'm running mine on full soft (though it might be full hard) the back skips over big bumps and 16 stone of my mates just wouldn't budge or compress the back end at all.

Don't know about the fronts but the rears are rock solid.

driversdomainuk
The "hardest" setting on the rear = concrete and you'll probably find the rear end will just constantly skip around.

I run mine on soft and they are much firmer than most shocks on that setting. I ran it on firmer settings than this (never full hardest) and it never settled and just skipped and hopped all the time.

Not sure what hill climbs are like (surface-wise) but I'd go for something in the middle.

Hi - well often F1 cars will use the hillclimb track so it is totally smooth - that is unless you come off onto the grass :)

jonnie205

you want rear full soft and front full hard. Rears are hard even on full soft setting

driversdomainuk
you want rear full soft and front full hard. Rears are hard even on full soft setting

Hi Mate - so I take it full hard on the rear would be totally OTT even on a very smooth hillclimb?

Beastie

The perfect description. I fitted a Koni conversion kit to the back of an XK140; the kit included great thick steel fillets to weld into the spring brackets so they didn't bend and fracture under load. The hard setting produced a ride not dissimilar to having no suspension at all.

j_turnell

Ive also got konis on the rear and the ride is hard so not guna even think about trying the hardest setting. That is with a 309 beam also.

Rippthrough

Would it not be better to go for the red's at thre rear then? Or won't they let you do that?

madaxgt

well the stock hatch boys used these dampers and they use hardest settings at the rear and they race on smoooth race tracks. So i'd try hard as youll be doing hill climbs which are usually rather smooth like shelsley etc. Plus its not that hard to change only two bolts per damper, and im sure the car will be off the road a fair bit if your only doing 50miles a year...

cookiemonster

Yep - if its track use (which i guess covers hillclimbs), then rock solid at the back is the way to go. The softer at the front the more grippy, rolly and oversteery the car.

I cant budge my rear suspension at all and the car handles like a dream on the track. Driving out the driveway onto the trailer at 5mph is painful though :)

driversdomainuk
Yep - if its track use (which i guess covers hillclimbs), then rock solid at the back is the way to go. The softer at the front the more grippy, rolly and oversteery the car.

I cant budge my rear suspension at all and the car handles like a dream on the track. Driving out the driveway onto the trailer at 5mph is painful though :)

Cheers, I think I will be going for the full concrete settings then - I do give it a blast on the road from time to time, and besides the amount of attention it gets is well worth it LOL.....

Sign in to follow this