• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jer309GTi

309 Gti Rear Beam On Xs

Jer309GTi

Ive got a complete front and rear suspension setup from my old 309 to put on my XS.

Obviously the 309 rear beam is a lot wider than my XS one so tyre rubbage would be a problem.

Is it possible to fit the beam with a bit of arch cutting? Im planning on fitting Rallye arches so I could cut quite a bit of wheel arch away and the Rallye arches should cover this (I hope).

Any opinions/help gratefully received :P

taylorspug

May be ok with rallye arches, but certainly not the standard items. I got my 1.9 beam to fit with 195s and minimal scrubbage by butchering the inner arch (but without using rallye arches).

The 309 beam is around 50mm wider, so maybe have a measure up to see if the new arches accomodate this? Also you could try a narrower tyre? For example 185s on 1.9 wheels instead of the usual 195. This works out well as the 185 is the correct size tyre for the 6J 1.9 rims anyway. :P

Edited by taylorspug

pug_ham

AFAIK an XS with 195-50/15's rubs with a standard xs beam on & with 185-55/15's its close & can still catch when you have a coupleof people in the back so I doubt very much that a 309 beam would fit without fairly major arch work.

A 309 beam on a 205 GTi requires some cutting of the arch trims to avoid contact.

Graham.

taylorspug

Woops, for some reason i was thinking along the lines of Euro Rallye arches, ie cut out inner arches aswell (its late, im tired etc)! So no, as Graham says, you wont get the beam to fit without taking a cutting disc to your 3/4 panels and creating a GTI-esque arch shape. :P

Jer309GTi

Cheers for the replies. ATM its running 195/45-15's with the inner arches cut a little bit and I dont get any contact. So I'll be taking the grinder to the poor thing in the near future then :)

pug_ham
So I'll be taking the grinder to the poor thing in the near future then :P
I think you might need more than a grinder. :)

Graham.

Jer309GTi

How do you mean? Do you think it's not worth doing?

Edited by Jer309GTi

pug_ham
How do you mean? Do you think it's not worth doing?
The arch shape & profile is different on the base models (including the XS) so even with the rear arches trimmed similar to the GTi they will still be narrower afaik.

Unless you are going to make some custon arches to keep the car legal I wouldn't bother.

Graham.

tom_m
The arch shape & profile is different on the base models (including the XS) so even with the rear arches trimmed similar to the GTi they will still be narrower afaik.

Unless you are going to make some custon arches to keep the car legal I wouldn't bother.

Graham.

Im planning on fitting Rallye arches so I could cut quite a bit of wheel arch away and the Rallye arches should cover this (I hope).

Any opinions/help gratefully received ;)

euro rallye arches 'should' cover them i reckon, but don't do it on my say so. but if a 309 beam will fit under standard 205 gti arches i see no reason why it shouldn't fit under euro rallye arches.

Edited by tom_m

Jer309GTi
Im planning on fitting Rallye arches so I could cut quite a bit of wheel arch away and the Rallye arches should cover this (I hope).

The actual body is the same on base and GTi models isnt it? Just the GTi's are cut away more around the arch. So if I cut the arch to a similar shape to a GTi and fit Rallye arches (like the ones in the group buy ATM) then it should be ok. (Hopefully ;) )

taylorspug

Make no mistake about this you are going to have some serious cutting and shutting to do. Maybe use a GTI arch as a template to model yours on. Then as long as you dont go mad with the ride height you should be ok. ;)

DaveW

i say do it it will be worth it..

Jer309GTi

Thanks for the encouragement, I'll definately give it a bash in the new year. Taylorspug, thats a good idea about using a GTi arch as a template, and I'm only planning on lowering it around 20mm

paul205mi16

i have a xs-mi16 with the front suspension lowered 60mm and with a shot rear beam. i was also thinking of using the wider track 309gti rear beam and going to be involved(hopefully) in the euro ralle arches group buy, so- can u please let me know of how the cutting of the rear arches go on your xs so as i can decide how to do mine.

( i allready have a 1.9gti rear beam with 15" speedline alloys an 185-55-15 tyres on, but have not lowered the rear as i think it would defo rub!)

thanks mate.

taylorspug

If i was you, id go to the scrap yard, or find a friendly 205 GTI owner, take off the rear plastic arch, stick a piece of card over it and draw the shape of the arch on the inside of the card. Then cut out and transfer to the xs, and start cutting and welding! That way you will have the GTI arches to which you can stick your rallye arches over, and no problems with the 309 beam rubbing.

A weekends work with the right tools, easily. :rolleyes:

Guest smokinslim

Gti arches are wider as well as a bit more open than base model arches. I know this for a fact because the top half of my rear tyres (195s on Speedlines) outer walls are nice n shiney! :rolleyes:

DaveW

or use rallye 14' steelies....

Foltan

GTi arches arent wider at the back i dont think, they simply rise higher. The lower spec arches 'flat out' in the middle.

Jer309GTi
or use rallye 14' steelies....

I had thought of this, but would the rear discs and calipers fit under 14's?

d-9

They fit under 1.6 pepperpots so they should fit fine. You may have to grind a bit off the calipers at the worst

Anthony
I had thought of this, but would the rear discs and calipers fit under 14's?

They definately fit under 14's, and I think will fit under some 13's at a push.

Jer309GTi

Thats a good bit of news, thanks :unsure: Don't know why I was under the impression that they only fitted under 15's.

Batfink

the 309 beam will definetly fit without any problems with standard 13 wheels, if your tyres are wider than standard lowering will be an issue

Edd-XS

or get some 106 GTi alloys. smartest 14"s ive seen!

Edd

d-9
the 309 beam will definetly fit without any problems with standard 13 wheels, if your tyres are wider than standard lowering will be an issue

lol it may fit but the wheels wont turn! when i fitted 13s on my 309gti it made some VERY nasty noises whenever you moved it.

Jer309GTi - See you are local...do you still have ur crashed 309, coz I need a few bits! Are you coming to the meet on sunday?

Sign in to follow this