• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
309PUG

Rolling Roads

smckeown
If anyone thinks they can do better from an engine with the same components then bring it on.

Awesome love it -_-

Sam

Crawl out of his arse -_-

Robsbc

I was being polite Mr Baker and questioning the figures as the poster did not mention it was a 1.6 and I presumed it was a 1.9...

PumaRacing
I was being polite Mr Baker and questioning the figures as the poster did not mention it was a 1.6 and I presumed it was a 1.9...

No you were not being polite. You were having a dig as per usual. However, it's clear you wrongly assumed it was a 1.9. Never ASSUME. It makes an ASS out of U and a tuning god out of ME. -_-

Robsbc
No you were not being polite. You were having a dig as per usual. However, it's clear you wrongly assumed it was a 1.9. Never ASSUME. It makes an ASS out of U and a tuning god out of ME. -_-

F~ck off - now that is not being polite....There's a differnece which you could not clearly see...

tidypug

309pug i've used jp auto something. I think they were really good with dcoe carbs and the like but don't have much expertise in throttle bodies. I also think that their rollers read very high indeed. They said that my totally standard Mi had 145 bhp at the wheels which i can't see being anything like right.

smckeown
Crawl out of his arse -_-

Grow up you plank!

Sam

Sorry if I touched a nerve Sean.

XLR8
Hi Jonathan. Glad to hear you've got the carbs sorted now. However to be fair to Mikeanics the above is not quite the full story if memory serves. Your carbs came off a 1.9 Mi16 and had 37mm chokes in them. Before the BV head was even fitted I said those were far too big for a 1.6 eight valve engine and suggested 33mm ones would be ample for the 150 bhp which was the most we were hoping for. Given that chokes are usually only available in even sizes these days that meant 32mm ones to favour mid range torque and 34mm ones for best top end. You got 34mm ones and fitted them but of course with the jets set for 37mm ones it didn't run well. You refitted the 37mm ones as a stop gap measure but didn't put the 34mm ones back in before going to the rollers and forgot to take them with you.

Not surprising it didn't have good power or pull well low down with chokes 20% too big for the engine. Big chokes kill low rpm power but also hurt top end too. Now whether Mike had every size of Dellorto choke in stock and could have fitted another set of smaller ones on the day I couldn't say. They aren't a common carb these days.

His rollers initially measure wheel bhp as do they all but he prints out the figure with coast down losses added as that's what most people ask for. The wheel figures are there if you really want them although it's a bit more of a struggle to get them from him than I would like.

(112 + 10 bhp) / 0.9 = 136 bhp using my full equation. Comparing two different rollers is pointless though and I have no idea how the RE ones read. I know Mikeanics ones seem fairly honest from the various figures I've seen from them. Torque looks fine at 74 ft lbs / litre for an eight valve engine with a mild cam. You see it's a 1580cc 1.6 not a 1.9 but then you never miss the chance to have a little dig do you Rob? It's starting to get childish and tiresome. Quite what your problem is I have no idea because I've never had a go at you for any reason. Perhaps an attitude readjustment could be on your list of new year's resolutions.

Hi Dave, how are things? Are you booked up now with the new season?. Yes your memory serves you correct, the carbs were from a mi16, the only difference being I did bring the 34mm chokes with me but mikeanics response was 'we will see what we can do without changing them'.

Dont get me wrong, the engine now performes great & I am very happy with it & im sure it has the 150bhp that we were after, maybe even more- I cannot reccomend the bv head and the advice you gave enough.

My only point being that you got the extra tractability out of the car over the phone, why did mikeanics not achieve this on the day...

Maybe Im being a little harsh on them.. but with so many dodgy garages around i guess it tends to make one uncertain about the rest. I would love to pop back to mikeanics to get a new readout, but unfortunatly living on the iom means it would cost over £300 lol.

Hopefully the car will be out for the next event in feb -_- , I will post pictures as soon as I have them!

Edited by XLR8

PumaRacing

An article on choosing choke sizes has been added to my web site.

PumaRacing
Hi Dave, how are things? Are you booked up now with the new season?. Yes your memory serves you correct, the carbs were from a mi16, the only difference being I did bring the 34mm chokes with me but mikeanics response was 'we will see what we can do without changing them'.

Slap on the wrist for him then if he had the right chokes to hand and didn't use them. Things are good thanks Jon. Very busy and order book is closed for a couple of months while I catch up.

Sign in to follow this