• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
TT205

Marrelli 8p With Throttle Bodies

TT205

Just to point out that another alternative form of management does in fact work with 205's (well with tb's anyway)

I've just switched from carbs to throttle bodies with full 3D management the 'cheap' way - if thats not a total contradiction

In the same way the MP3 is great for standard injection or even as an ignition only system with carbs, it isn't suited to throttle bodies. I've gone this route on advice from Wayne Schofield (Chipwizards) and it's ALIVE!!!

Pugtorque kindly sourced me a full 8P sytem from a scrapyard - ECU loom, coil packs, sensors etc for the princely sum of ..... well thats between me and him! but it wasn't a lot!!

Wayne has mapped it for me, but as I would have had to have any system mapped this cost doesn't count - overall though I've saved myself in the region of a grand :)

Think I'm the first on here to use 8P on a 205 - I'll let you know what it's like when I get a few more miles done!

God don't throttle bodies sound fabulous!

feb

How does the car drive? Guess no more kangarooing...

Do you have any power/torque graphs ? :)

TT205

So far only driven 5 miles so can't really answer yet, put my foot down a couple of times for short bursts once it had warmed up a bit and first impressions are that the power seems to come on more 'instantly' than with the carbs

I have a power curve but no revs, so only really have the shape to go by and there is a lot of 'area' under the curve, It's a Longman engine with huge ports so I'm chuffed it's not peaky as I'd feared ....

blackscooby

Well done that man... I would say that I'm looking forward to see it, and find out what it goes like.....

But I'm dreading do know now !

So not just satisfied with taking the class record eh :)

smckeown

awesome, i was looking into this, but with the price of KMS it had to be done.

The other thing that puts me off 8p is the lack of mappers and PC interface

But well done indeed

Super Josh

So why is MM 8P so suited to TB's and the MP3 variants aren't? Surely they both rely on MAP and TPs, or am i missing out on the subtle nuances of 8P?

Josh

PS

Which car did you get the 8P off, and assume this is on an 8V?

smckeown

josh, there are some great posts on here comparing the both, plus posts on what cars offer what 8p / mp3.2 etc as i did a lot of research and peeps have posted chip wizards advice etc

Super Josh
josh, there are some great posts on here comparing the both, plus posts on what cars offer what 8p / mp3.2 etc as i did a lot of research and peeps have posted chip wizards advice etc

Cheers Sean, i'll give the search function a go then :)

Josh

PS

That's fantastic news that you've got the 8P system working sucessfully, and without too much hassle, by all accounts

keith

surely if you were doing a 16v turbo you could use Magnetti Marelli 8P

might be a bit cheaper no?

TT205

A good post to look at is: http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...ic=35042&hl=mp3

As for Peugeot donor cars:

8P's are fitted to 1.8 and 2.0 405s, 306s, Xantias, 106 Rallye, 106 XSi, etc

from between about '92 and '96. Some are immobilized but there are usually

plenty of them in the breakers so if you buy a few then one of them is

likely to not be immobilizaed. If you get one from a running car you can

de-immobilize it yourself by disconnecting the ECU while the engine is

running. This stops the immobilizer from writing the new code to the ECU and

from then on the ECU will be de-immobilized- as long as you do not put it on

a car with an immobilizer which will re-code the ECU.

If you can get an ECU with a rubber bung in the back panel- these ones have

a socket in the board already so are easier and quicker to do

surely if you were doing a 16v turbo you could use Magnetti Marelli 8P

might be a bit cheaper no?

Cheaper than what? - whether it's MP3 or 8P, the bits from a scrapyard would be a similar price (ie very little) - I think it's more a case of MP3 is best suited to single throttle body (including turbo application) 8P more suited to carbs or throttlebodies, even if used as an ignition only system

Doesn't matter whether you buy a DTA, Omex, Emerald etc you have the huge cost of the ECU, loom, sensors, coilpacks etc etc - this is where the saving is by getting the parts for next to nothing from a scrap yard - it should still be cheaper even than megasquirt

- whichever system you go for you will still have the expense of fitting it and mapping it

Dave

Sam

You have to remember you are stuck with one person who can really map them though. Thats the major difference, not being able to tweak the map yourself etc.

Don't you mean unplug the keypad/immobiliser when the engines running? Thats the method I've always heard and it worked for me.

DrSeuss

can't just unplug the keypad on mp3.1/2 and i've never heard of that method working with anything other then diesels. Certainly those with mp3.2 that doesn't work...

Sam

Whatevers fitted to:

Citroen Saxo VTR / VTS

Peugeot 106 GTI / 1.6 Rallye

It works on the above :rolleyes: as tried by myself :rolleyes:

Forgot to add, it also works on the 106 1.3 Rallye and 1.6 XSI, when did you last try Sam :lol: Ahem.

pugrallye

good news then, anyone wanna buy my 8p setup, lol

Ahl

Nice one on the 8P :rolleyes: Have you get a proper RR session planned for some point?

Also what TB's are you using?

pug_ham

Nice one Dave, any figures for it you are willing to air?

Ahl; Dave has Jenvey 45mm TB's afaik & its already been mapped @ chipwizards on their road like mine was so Davew should have a power figure already.

Just need to get the car road legal again now Dave yeah?

Graham.

TT205

OK got a couple of pics now

This is where we have sited ECU in passenger footwell

post-132-1134985416_thumb.jpg

And this is the under bonnet shot!

post-132-1134985572_thumb.jpg

So Graham wasn't quite correct. I actually have Weber 45's (throttle bodies not carbs), turned out my Jenveys were downdrafts :( so had to get some more

Road legal? - don't get you mate :lol: I hope it is, I was out in it yesterday :D

Ahl - Only reason I would want another RR session other than to get a pretty graph would be if it needs some cold start mapping - at mo not sure whether it just needed a good blow out or if it does need this - will know next time I have a blast

Pugrallye - how much?

The noise is amazing :D - sorry - I think I already said that ^_^

Ahl
The noise is amazing ^_^ - sorry - I think I already said that :lol:

:D Must get TB's myself!

pug_ham
So Graham wasn't quite correct. I actually have Weber 45's (throttle bodies not carbs), turned out my Jenveys were downdrafts :( so had to get some more

Well its taken so long to do I'm not surprised. :D

I bet Wayne nearly fainted when you actually had a car arrive there for mapoping, you've been promising it for so long. :D

Road legal? - don't get you mate :lol: I hope it is, I was out in it yesterday :(
Ooops, after speaking to you know I got my wires crossed, you've got to many cars. ^_^

Graham.

TT205
Well done that man... I would say that I'm looking forward to see it, and find out what it goes like.....

But I'm dreading do know now !

So not just satisfied with taking the class record eh ^_^

Mark - it makes HUGE power :lol:

LOL! :D

Edited by TT205

Sign in to follow this