• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

cybernck

The Definitive Weights Thread

guffe

anyone know the weight of a rear beam?

205 1.9 GTI rear beam with brakes ~56 kg

309 GTI rear beam with brakes ~57 kg

weighted at courier scale including some cardboard padding.

Edited by guffe

Anulfo

An overall weight enquiry really.I recently saw in an old booklet i have of a guy who was selling his 'race prepped' 205gti.It was a very well put together car with Mi 16 engine,glass fibre boot and tailgate,glass replaced by plastic,stripped out interior etc,you get the picture.My main issue is that he quoted the overall weight of the car as 690kgs!!...would this be a realistic possibility? is there actually that much weight to be shed from the standard 205??

Anulfo

Wow 56kg is a LOT! :o

Ugh?? :huh: Carfolio gives the weight of a standard 1.9GTi as 875kgs? 875kgs - 690kgs=185kgs.......plus the car in question had been converted to Mi 16 power plant.

guffe

Weights on wish list:

EW7 or 10 block (no internals)

EW7 or 10 crank

EW7 or 10 head (no manifolds)

would be very pleased if someone could weight these for me.

Emmy Seize

Ugh?? :huh: Carfolio gives the weight of a standard 1.9GTi as 875kgs? 875kgs - 690kgs=185kgs.......plus the car in question had been converted to Mi 16 power plant.

The rear beam weight in the post above.........

Edited by Emmy Seize

Strictly_Derv

Does anyone know the weight of a complete XUD9 TE engine with no gearbox?

welshpug

less than an MI16 or a gti6 :lol:

specifically no, never weighed one but they must be over the 100 kilo mark, given the alloy xu7 and the 8 valve xu weigh around that.

Strictly_Derv

less than an MI16 or a gti6 :lol:

specifically no, never weighed one but they must be over the 100 kilo mark, given the alloy xu7 and the 8 valve xu weigh around that.

It's funny that because people always go on about diesels making car front end heavy and handle like crap, but this isn't always the case then

welshpug

indeed, the gti6 is the heaviest 306 for example.

Daviewonder

Has anyone compared the weights of an XU9 8v and an XU10 8v please?

Anthony

Does anyone know the weight of a complete XUD9 TE engine with no gearbox?

Book weights for the 1.8, 1.9 and 2.1 TD engines...

XUD7TE = 150kg

XUD9TE = 140kg

XUD11ATE = 171kg

and to complete the set, the book weights for the 2.0 and 2.2 HDi...

DW10TD = 150kg

DW12TED4 = 182kg

Strictly_Derv

How is the '9 10kg lighter?? :o I always thought it would be heavier!

welshpug

thinner wall block from the larger bore :lol:

you should see the gearbox for the DW12, ML6C, huuge! wont get a chance to weigh it unfortunately, as to remove it from the Expert/Dispatch/807/C8 you need to the drop the subframe, so its just sitting on the subframe separated from the engine!

Strictly_Derv

thinner wall block from the larger bore :lol:

you should see the gearbox for the DW12, ML6C, huuge! wont get a chance to weigh it unfortunately, as to remove it from the Expert/Dispatch/807/C8 you need to the drop the subframe, so its just sitting on the subframe separated from the engine!

So that's why they chuck rods then haha. I wonder if the 7 would be a stronger lump then...

Daviewonder

Has anyone compared the weights of an XU9 8v and an XU10 8v block please?

Anthony

Has anyone compared the weights of an XU9 8v and an XU10 8v please?

It's not an exact comparison, but should be close enough - XU7JP (1.8i 8v alloy block) is 114kg and a XU10J2C (2.0i 8v iron block) is 140kg.

(again, that's Peugeot's own book weights)

So that's why they chuck rods then haha. I wonder if the 7 would be a stronger lump then...

I think that was just a particular variety of 1.9TD that had a habit of chucking rods, rather than any inherent weakness in the XUD9 engine itself. DHY's from around 1997-1998 if I recall were the ones affected.

Anthony

In fact, from the documents that I've got, here's all the book weights of the various mid-late 90's PSA engines:

TU9M (954cc 8v alloy block monopoint injection) = 89kg

TU1M (1124cc 8v alloy block monopoint injection) = 90kg

TU3M (1360cc 8v alloy block monopoint injection) = 92kg

TU3FJ2 (1360cc 8v iron block injection) = 113kg

TU5JP (1587cc 8v iron block injection) = 109kg

TU5J4 (1587cc 16v iron block injection) = 117kg

TUD5 (1527cc 8v diesel) = 126kg

XU52C (1580cc 8v alloy block carb) = 107kg

XU5JP (1580cc 8v alloy block injection) = 108.5kg

XU7JP (1761cc 8v alloy block injection) = 114kg

XU7JP4 (1761cc 16v alloy block injection) = 125kg

XU92C (1905cc 8v alloy block carb) = 115kg

XU102C (1998cc 8v iron block carb) = 132kg

XU10J2C (1998cc 8v iron block injection) = 140kg

XU10J2TE (1998cc 8v iron block turbo) = 149kg

XU10J4 (1998v 16v iron block injection aka "S16") = 160kg

XU10J4TE (1998cc 16v iron block turbo aka "405 T16") = 165kg

XU10J4R (1998cc 16v iron block injection) = 143kg

XU10J4RS (1998cc 16v iron block injection aka "GTi-6") = 143kg

XUD7TE (1769xx 8v diesel) = 150kg

XUD9TE (1905cc 8v diesel) = 140kg

XUD11ATE (2088cc 12v diesel) = 171kg

DW10TD (1997cc 8v diesel) = 150kg

DW12TED4 (2179cc 16v diesel) = 182kg

EW7J4 (1749cc 16v alloy block injection) = 137.5kg

EW10J4 (1997cc 16v alloy block aka "206 GTi") - 137kg

EW12J4 (2230cc 16v alloy block injection) = 153kg

ES9J4 (2946cc 24v V6 alloy block) = 215kg

ES9J4S (2946cc 24v V6 alloy block) = 215kg

A few of those will probably raise eyebrows...

Edited by Anthony

welshpug

:o so my zx would be under 1100 kilos given the engine is 17 lighter, plus the lighter wheels that saved 7 kilos a corner! (35 kilos total!)

intrigued to know what these weights were, built up with ancillaries or just manifolds?

Anthony

intrigued to know what these weights were, built up with ancillaries or just manifolds?

I don't know is the answer - the weights are listed as "dry" but no mention of ancillaries, although they are shown in the images. I would assume that the weights do include the turbocharger and related parts at least though (where appropriate)

It's the apparent 17kg difference between a S16 and GTi-6 engine that I find interesting, as I'm not sure where that amount of weight has been saved.

The myth about the V6 engine being similar weight to the GTi-6 looks to have been blown out of the water though! Assuming that's accurate (and given they're official book figures there's no reason to doubt them) it's no wonder they seem to handle so badly - going by a sample of one that I've driven - when you've that much weight over the nose (plus the heavier gearbox) and further forward too.

Anthony

On the subject of gearboxes, the book weights and maximum torque rating is listed as follows for manual and automatic gearboxes:

MA (rated to 138Nm) = 31.7kg

BE (rated between 210 and 250Nm) = 36.6kg

ML (rated between 300 and 350Nm) = 45 - 49.3kg

AL4 (rated to 200Nm) = 70kg

4HP20 (rated to 330Nm) = 88kg

Edited by Anthony

Cameron

Anthony, where are you getting these weights from and what do they represent - bare block or including any ancillaries?

Maybe I'm being blind, but I can't see the weight for XU9J4 alloy block Mi16 in your list, would be good to compare that to te weight of a GTi6! :D

welshpug

my potentially flawed logic guesstimate would be based on the following;

XU92C (1905cc 8v alloy block carb) = 115kg

XU102C (1998cc 8v iron block carb) = 132kg

XU10J4 (1998v 16v iron block injection aka "S16") = 160kg

XU10J4RS (1998cc 16v iron block injection aka "GTi-6") = 143kg

difference between iron and alloy carb engine = 17 kg, difference between 8v carb head and 16v mi head, 28 kilos :blink: which can't be right as the head only weighs 24 kilos :lol:

roughly 143 kilos, so there must be some ancillaries on there !

EDIT:

googlefu is strong today.

http://www.xu9j4.webs.com/TECHNICAL%20SPECIFICATIONS.html

Weights

Engine weight (dry, no flywheel)

112.6kg

Engine weight (dry, with flywheel)

121.6kg

Engine weight (dry, with flywheel, alternator & starter)

132.7kg

Edited by welshpug

Cameron

Yeah I struggle to see how you could gain 28kg from an extra cam, 8 valves and a bit more aluminium! Maybe if the heads were made from iron.. :lol:

Anthony

Come on Cameron, the answers to both of those are already there if you'd actually read what I'd written properly!

Anthony, where are you getting these weights from and what do they represent - bare block or including any ancillaries?

I don't know is the answer - the weights are listed as "dry" but no mention of ancillaries, although they are shown in the images. I would assume that the weights do include the turbocharger and related parts at least though (where appropriate)

These are all from official PSA documentation, and about 90% of them are summarised on one document which suggests that they're comparable weights.

It would make sense that they are complete with ancillaries especially with Welshpug's comparison for the XU9J4, but I have no idea why the S16 looks so heavy in comparison to other engines - although the T16 which is clearly very closely related is a similar weight once you knock off a little for the turbo, suggesting it isn't a misprint. Thinking logically it sounds 10kg odd too heavy, but there is a bit of extra weight on an S16 that isn't there on an 8v in addition to the obvious cylinder head - bulky ACAV manifold and gubbins, bulky thermostat housing, vacuum pump, comparitively weighty pistons/rods, coilpacks and cast coilpack cover, but I don't believe there's anything like enough weight there to make the difference quoted :unsure:

Maybe I'm being blind, but I can't see the weight for XU9J4 alloy block Mi16 in your list, would be good to compare that to te weight of a GTi6! :D

In fact, from the documents that I've got, here's all the book weights of the various mid-late 90's PSA engines:

1.9 Mi16 was late 80's and early 90's so was out of production by the mid-late 90's when this document was made. Same reason there's no 1.6/1.9 GTi spec 8v's

The other low output XU5/XU9 engines listed I'm assuming were for some export markets where cost is import and emissions are not.