• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest rich xs

205 Plasma Dials

Guest rich xs

I'm in the process of creating a custom set of plasma dials for a 205. What I need desperately is a high quality black and white (not colur or grayscale) scanned image at at least 1200 dpi of a white dial kit (not lockwood), where the 1/2 tank mark is at '12 o'clock' on the dial.

If this little project is successful, I will be more than willing to put a 'how-to' guide on the website but it hinges on being able to get this image.

Please help if you can. My scanner's playing up so I can't do it myself!

Cheers

miamistu

Forgive my ignorance, but what's a plasma dial?

DrSeuss

my curiosity made me search ebay, its like indiglo watch dials for cars.

miamistu

ah, cheers ;)

ashlee205gti

There very bling, i actually quite like them. ;)

Guest Butch

Yeah they use EL sheet behind the dials, (from what it looks on ebay) These are very cool, i like them due to the light consistancy across the whole area, ie, Led's will only target one area and will appear really bright in one area.

Nice idea for the 205! I found a few places where you can buy sheets of EL sheeting, i might have to make an order! ;)

Guest rich xs

Yeah they're going to look mint if i get them made. I've bought two plasma sheets off ebay for £16 for the pair. They're not huge (125x150mm) so its one for each side of the instrument pack. I intend to print the dial marking out onto clear OHP sheets and place over the plasma sheets so 'ill effectively have 2 glowing rectangles when lit. I'm also going to wire them up throught the dimmer in case they're too bright.

I think (tho I'm not sure) you can buy ready made plasma dial kits for the 306. Try www.autotintdesign.com

pacey205

Can you change the colour of them as I think they would look pretty good in black with orange backlight, basically standard but with better light up.

Michael

Guest Butch
Yeah they're going to look mint if i get them made. I've bought two plasma sheets off ebay for £16 for the pair. They're not huge (125x150mm) so its one for each side of the instrument pack. I intend to print the dial marking out onto clear OHP sheets and place over the plasma sheets so 'ill effectively have 2 glowing rectangles when lit. I'm also going to wire them up throught the dimmer in case they're too bright.

I think (tho I'm not sure) you can buy ready made plasma dial kits for the 306. Try www.autotintdesign.com

You will be pretty surprized how bright they are.. Not as bright as what youd imagine or see on the net, cameras make them look mega bright. They will be bright enough though! Clear ohp will be fine for it, id probably do mine inverted, or I could make a 14" or whatever size it is screen dash like situne did lol.

Pacey, unfortunatly you cant change the colour of them, they are a layer of plastic, phosphurus and wire which emits a "glow" effect when a current is passed through, which colour cannot be changed.

M3Evo

If you get stuck for the image, if someone e-mails me a decent piccy of the dials etc I can probably bung them on CAD which could have a PDF made from it if that's any help? :)

Guest rich xs
If you get stuck for the image, if someone e-mails me a decent piccy of the dials etc I can probably bung them on CAD which could have a PDF made from it if that's any help?

That'd be cool if you could do that - cheers! I should be able to have a go at making over the xmas hols when I'm home from uni soI'll be able to keep all those interested posted on how it goes.

P.S Ignore the bit about the 306 dials in the previous post. I've got the same thread going on the PGAC forum and it was intended for that!

M3Evo

Anyone got a piccy then? :)

cybernck

edit: AH-HA, found it! :)

hope this helps.

post-4-1134469511_thumb.jpg

M3Evo

Should do the trick :)

Now which bits need drawing?

feb
edit: AH-HA, found it! :lol:

hope this helps.

That's nice :P

I wonder why UK cars don's have meter readings for oil/collant temp and oil pressure :)

tagy
I wonder why UK cars don's have meter readings for oil/collant temp and oil pressure :)

mine does :P although it has prob just been changed over by a previous owner. that would annoy me not knowing the temps.

Super Josh
That's nice :P

Mine does too :lol: Will it matter that that set of dials is in Km/H?

Josh

Foltan

i thought all GTi's had those dials. mines a GTX and has warning lights instead of coolant/oil temp and oil pressure but assumed that that was a low spec thing, i.e a TU engine

pacey205

All GTi dials have the guages for temps but only a few seem to have got gauges with numbers on, its seemingly random from Peugeot. At some point I think I mght order some Euro spec dials as they have the numbers on and just omit the speedo.

Michael

Guest Butch

Got bored after work so started to make some designs on the dials, i like the inverted look, with all black around, and just the numbers etc lighing up.

M3Evo

Is this the type of thing you wanted?

post-3444-1134596125_thumb.gif

Probably come out a bit more defined in PDF or just a higher quality piccy file?

Cheers!

Alex

Guest gazzarose

I done a similar thing when I had a micra a few years ago, but instead of the plasma background,m I just left it trnasparent, it was quite kool being able to see inside the dials.lol

Anyway, that OHP stuff is a pain to print on. I tried unsing a inkjet printer but it wouldnt dry, on of the ones I printed out sat in my room for obver a week and never went dry. In the end I took it into work and printed it out using a laser printer. I worked really well with no smudging, but unfortunatly it was only lack and white. But that would probly be fine for this situation.

Gaz

Guest rich xs
Anyway, that OHP stuff is a pain to print on. I tried unsing a inkjet printer but it wouldnt dry, on of the ones I printed out sat in my room for obver a week and never went dry. In the end I took it into work and printed it out using a laser printer. I worked really well with no smudging, but unfortunatly it was only lack and white. But that would probly be fine for this situation.

It's not problem if I can't get a good quality print out on my home printer - I can use the print services at the uni for that!

cybernck

rich, any progress with this?

i've just stumped across some pics of plasma dials:

205_sub205_04.jpg

205_sub205_05.jpg

:)

GLPoomobile

Holy s*it, where are they from?

I'm not usualyy a fan of aftermarket dial faces for the 205 but they look lovely!

Sign in to follow this