• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
vikgti

Holding Back?

vikgti

Hi all

I have a 205 1.9 gti 1988 and for last couple of days i've been having problems.

It ticks overfine and revs fine but the min your on the road and under 4000rpm loading it, it's holding back and almost coughing and shakes the hold car!

I've changed plugs

leads (beru) german and swedish

new cap and rotor

new fuel filter

tried another coil but made no difference

tried another set of injectors but still no difference

Has anyone experienced then same and if so how did you cure it please, i have searched which is why i have carried out the above parts change, but still i have this problem.

Anthony

Is it alright at high revs, and fine when the engine isn't under load? Did this issue appear suddenly, or has it been slowly been getting worse over time?

Have you got another AFM that you can try prehaps?

vikgti

Yes at high revs over 4000rpm it goes like stink, and the engine is fine when not loaded.

I noticed it a bit but now it's just got worst to the point everytime i drive it it happens.

I think i have another afm so i'll give that a go, does the angle of the afm make a difference at all?

Edited by vikgti

jshep205gti
does the angle of the afm make a difference at all?

As far as I know, no it doesn't. Mine is upside down in my engine bay and it's never been an issue.

Shep

S33GAV

The angle of the AFM can make a difference yes - I've had experience of bad idling and stalling, and after changing the angle of the AFM it stopped competely. AFMs are dodgy bloody things, so don't be suprised.

ALEX

Same symptoms of low fuel pressure.

Check your fuel lines are clear and not dented. Or get the pressure checked.

jackherer
Has anyone experienced then same and if so how did you cure it please,

ignition amp....

sorr

Check the condition of the cables that connect the air flow meter. Had the same issue and one of the cables had cracked.

vikgti

Thanks guys for all the suggestions, i have changed ign amp but made no difference.

I tried three airflow meters yesterday and i now have it where it doesn't hold back but hunts on idle, so i might have a play with the angle of airflow meter that doesn't hunt and see if i can get it to pull throughout all revs and no hunting!

P.s is it that hard to change to carbs to get rid of this airflow problem and what sort of bhp gain would be noticed?

Anthony

If it's hunting, then firstly try putting the AFM the right way up (8v AFM's seem to be more sensitive to angle than Mi16 ones for some reason in my experience), and if that doesn't solve it, make sure it's all clean inside and try leaning off the idle mixture - turn the allen bolt on the AFM anti-clockwise a few turns.

vikgti

Ok i'll try that, whats the best thing to clean it out with, brake cleaner?

As i have heard that sometimes make them misbehave worse when it comes into contact with the sensor?

ashlee205gti

Just wipe it out with a clean rag, you can blast a bit of carb and intake cleaner down there aswell.

vikgti

Ok so is there no way i can fix the airflow meter thats holding back?

Would retracking it help of is it dead? As i only cleaned out the last one with brake cleaner and now three weeks down the road it's holding back?

TT205

I presume you have checked for air leaks? - between AFM and Throttle body pipe, throttle body pipe to throttle body and around the plenum?

vikgti

Yes i have checked for air leaks and have found none, the car does also have k&n so it has the insert throttle housing to afm, but then why would the car hunt and no hold back on one afm and hold back but idle ok on another afm, surley with a air leak i would have both afm with poor idle as all i'm doing is replacing the afm. The gasket from afm to filter bracket is ok as well.

newdean0

Try checking the ignition timing - I had an R5 where the timing was very badly retarded, this would stutter and have no power at low revs but was OK once I had the revs up.

vikgti

Ignition timing hasn't changed

vikgti

Ok guys sorry to bring this to life,but driving down the road today and it started it's holding back thing then just died?

It restarted and went 100 yards where it died again but refused to start?

Could it be fuel pump relay and with the problems i've had?

cheapthrills

i have a dodgy fuel pump relay and a couple of times the car has just died while driving. it restarted ok after a minute. my car also holds back at the top end. but i never connected the two. a new relay might be a good place to start?

Guest lombardo

yea its defo gota be the fuel relay. My cars doing this same problem now. Just under the ecu is the relay. If ya pull it out a tad on an angle it seems to cure the problem but obviously this won't last for long. Ebays the best place for a new one as these are around £45 brand new from peugeot dealers.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Peugeot-205-Gti-1-6-...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FUEL-PUMP-RELAY-PEUG...1QQcmdZViewItem

ada205
Thanks guys for all the suggestions, i have changed ign amp but made no difference.

I tried three airflow meters yesterday and i now have it where it doesn't hold back but hunts on idle, so i might have a play with the angle of airflow meter that doesn't hunt and see if i can get it to pull throughout all revs and no hunting!

P.s is it that hard to change to carbs to get rid of this airflow problem and what sort of bhp gain would be noticed?

Are the AFM's you've tried all for a 1.9, as there's a difference. Part number ends with 109 for a 1.9, and 056 for a 1.6. Find a good known good AFM with the same number as the one that was working fine originally. You can get strange results when swapped around.

On the fuel pump relay, I've had several problems with this relay, but always the same 2 symptoms...first being total cut out when driving, usually when hitting bumps or on a bend, and second with the pump running on when ignition turned off. A good smack usually works in both cases, though only untill the next bend in the first case!

Sign in to follow this