• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M@tt

Really Small Heater And Blower

M@tt

well after pissing round with the 206 dash today i finally came to the conclusion that i dont think it will fit behind the 206 dash comfortably leaving enough room for the air vent ducts and allow the stereo to be pushed in.

What i was wondering therefore is if anyone knew of any other cars that had a fairly compact heater matrix/blower set up.

I'm fairly confident i can make it fit providing its small enough so if anyones got any suggestions lets hear them, oh also if its got the same features that would be great ie blow to feet/ window , differnet fan settings etc

Thanks

Matt

Alastairh

What about an old mini one?

M@tt

i've been having a quick scan of ebay to see whats about but i thingkt the old mini one might be a bit too primative

might try and find a rover metro one or fiat chinqichento

cheers though

pug_life

i'm removing mine but obviously don't wanna be breathing ice so figured a heater of electric form rather than from engine heat wud be better.

as said a mini fanunit might work?

Wiggs

I'm actually looking for a small heater for mine too. I want to keep the car road legal and I believe that to do so you need some form of demister. I can't fit the original heater matrix due to my roll cage.

Can anyone recommend a small electric heater setup? I'd also consider other options if anyone has photos and ideally dimensions.

I bought a small demister fan for £19 and it's useless, the fan lacks power, I can't see it demisting a screen. I was thinking of buying two as I just want the main windscreen vents operational, so one for either half of the screen. Before anyone suggests a heated screen, the cost puts me off.

tidypug

I seem to remember sean having a windscreen fitted that demisted its self, it was from demon tweeks i think.

pug_ham

Would you be able to use the standard heater matrix & mount a fan to it somehow to blow air though without all the casing? Just use pipes to channel the air to the screen or connect to the existing vents on teh 205/206 dash.

Graham.

M@tt

i was thinking that so had a look at it yesterday but i think it would be too cumbersome to do that, however what might be easier is the reverse ie use the blower and fix a small electric heater to it

Although ideally i would like to be able to control where the air goes by utilising another cars box but i might be expecting a might too much

if anyones round a scrappy this week and they remember would they have a look at some small cars (metros etc) end see if they might have a suitable setup. I can only get to the scrappy on a saturday :(

jim205GTI

is the 106/saxo heater any smaller as it is coming from a slightly smaller car?? that could fit if this turns out to be the case..

EDIT 106 heater on ebay

is this the sort of thing you are looking for??

Edited by jim205GTI

Ryan

Some Jags have a seperate motor for each side (I'm thinking of older models like the XJS and XJ6). I don't know how big they are, but I'd imagine they be pretty compact.

Edited by RyanMoore

pug_life

i'm sure the 106 ones are mounted on drivers side of dash, will look tomoro.

heated windscreens are bout £200 but you save the weight of a fan unit, altho your car maybe a bit colder inside :)

M@tt
is the 106/saxo heater any smaller as it is coming from a slightly smaller car?? that could fit if this turns out to be the case..

EDIT 106 heater on ebay

is this the sort of thing you are looking for??

it's actually the whole kit i'd be after ie blower and the air box with a the the different vent outputs as well and a heater as well

think i might be in cloud cuckoo land hoping for something suitable :)

tidypug

Have you given the bloke who put a 206 dash in his 205 what he used? That is if you have any way of getting hold of him that is.

crogthomas

Someone told me the other day that convertable BMW's have small electric fan heaters to demist the rear screen. Might be useful.

Also, some kit car parts suppliers (eg, Car builder solutions) do small water heaters that might fit. The price might put you off though.

GLPoomobile

Is the original 206 matrix and blower not an option? Cos obviously it would fit the dash, but whether it will fit the confined area that you have with the 206 dash in the 205 is another question. You'd still need to customise the ducting to the vents, but surely that is small fries compared to the hassle of getting a matrix and blower to fit.

M@tt

ooh a bmw one might be an option

the 206 heater setup was bigger than the 205 one so think that's out the window.

i had a look and that car builder site but at £145 i think i'll try some other options first but thanks for the suggestion

Would anyone have a picture of a 106 one as that might be a option?

DrSeuss

you thought seriously about making one? working with fibreglass and foam board it wouldn't be that bad. You only need to make a housing suitable for the flaps of a standard air box.

Its an undertaking, but it will cost almost nothing in materials and be very strong in the long run.

M@tt

ooh thats a really interesting idea!! i like that alot, i can just butcher all bits off the old air box

sam you are quite possibly a genius :)

any recommendations as to the type of fibre glass kit i'd need?

Edited by M@tt

DrSeuss

for the small amount needed i'd speak to a yacht chandler. They can probably suggest a supplier in your area. The major thing needed is the foam board which isn't massively hard to come by and the correct resin.

A friend used it to make a water tank when he couldn't fit one through the loft hatch. holds about 200ltrs of water perfectly safely!

M@tt

the foam board is the stuff from craft shops right? ususally white plastically skin withfoam in the middle

right i'll give the yellow pages a bash tomorrow

thanks again

DrSeuss

No, thats foamboard. It won't be suitable. What you want is the high density foam they use to make surfboards and boat stringers with.

Can't be polystyrene either as that melts when it comes into contact with the resin hardeners.

smckeown
I'm actually looking for a small heater for mine too. I want to keep the car road legal and I believe that to do so you need some form of demister. I can't fit the original heater matrix due to my roll cage.

That's why I use a heated front screen for my track cars.

the_mighty_one

what you guys want is a hillman imp heater unit!!

it has a tiny matrix built into it with a lever u lift up that directs air from either the sides of the heater, the bottom, or upto the top to the windscreen. to make space saving even more the heater blower is seperate to the matrix/control unit and is connected with a duct pipe!

can get a picture of 1 if you like as my imp is stripped out atm while rebuilding and ive just put the heater in!

M@tt

picture would be ace.

do you know of anywhere that might supply these and likely costs?

the_mighty_one

hi, sorry for being ages!

been busy xmas shopping n working on my car.

i dont think im allowed to post pictures on here, crazy rules!!

so heres a link to my pugsport photo album:

Heater Album

Hope its of some use.

There are many places that can supply these units! Myself for one, ive got a number of blowers and heater boxes (with matrix's), mainly the plastic ones (i prefer to keep the metal ones as they are quite rare being for the early cars!).

If you want any more info email me at jonathantwynham@yahoo.co.uk

Sign in to follow this