• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
driversdomainuk

New Cam

driversdomainuk

Hi

From a previous post, you may know i am currently enjoying a clacking from the top of the rocker area nr the dizzy - probably the tappets.

I took the rocker cover off on Saturday to have a look at the cam. For a 15 year old car the cam appeared to look very clean and unworn, the only wear was very slight scoring on the odd cam lobe which could not be felt by touch alone - only visual.

How can I tell if the previous owner has put a new and or uprated cam in it..? as surely a 15 yr old cam which has done 124,000 miles would look rather tired..??

Do Piper, etc have any distinct markings to show it is not the standard..?

Cheers

Anthony

So long as the holes in the spray bar aren't blocked, I generally find that most GTi cams look to be in pretty good shape. Slightly "polished" on the end of the lobes, but that's about it.

If the spray bar becomes blocked however from infrequent oil changes sludging it up, then the cam will deteriorate fairly quickly and will show fairly high wear.

Most aftermarket cams that have been ground from a blank should have some form of marking on the end of the cam. I'm not sure if regrinds have the same or not however.

Rob_the_Sparky

Trouble is that to an untrained eye a cam can look "clean" but be badly worn. There was a thead on here recently where a piccy was posted and it looked fine until you knew what to look for, then you realised it was fooked (tip of a cam lobe was very badly worn).

My cam has its number stamped into the end of the cam where the dizzy connects. I think this is generally true for afterarket cams but AFAIK standard cams are not marked like this.

Rob

Edited by Rob_the_Sparky

Higgy

the cam surface on my 129k miler mi look mint.

you could measure using a vernier the lobe height, is there a dimension anywhere to check it against?

that would tell you if the tip is worn i guess.

at uni i used a 'dial gauge' while rotating a cam (Honda CBR600) to produce a profile 'picture' of the lobe shape to input into a engine simulation program. i found there was a dip in the cam lobe that was impossible to see and feel, only fine measurement of dial gauge picked it out.

pug_ham

Aftermarket cams, even regrinds, from Piper & Kent have the cam number stamped on afaik on the distributor end (dizzy needs removing to see), Piper is BP & Kent PT iirc.

Graham.

GLENF

Graham, what if it says GPA1 ?

Edited by GLENF

Craigb

GPA2 is a piper cam if thats any help

GLENF
GPA2 is a piper cam if thats any help
Cheers, just rang Piper & its there 280 cam. P16GPA1 cam :P

MartinR

Here is an example of a fooked one...

albeit a 1.6 cam

Fooked

returnofjim
Here is an example of a fooked one...

albeit a 1.6 cam

Fooked

I have a 1.9 Cam thats worse than that, its almost round on one of the lobes ;) That came out of a 90k mile engine which had full service history upto 80k :) Ill get a pic of it in a bit.

Sign in to follow this