• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sekim

I'm A Mucking Fuppet

sekim

Argh I've just been so stupid.

Trying to undo a rather rusty bolt that was holding the airbox on, the socket was slipping and i was getting nowhere fast. Decided to try and "persuade" a smaller socket onto the bolt (by persuade i mean hit with a lump hammer).

I felt it move, but the socket hadn't gone on the bolt...

Whipped the cam cover off to find this :)

img_1477.sized.jpg

I'd best not repeat my reaction to seeing that here....

How on earth can I fix this? Would some of that chemical metal stuff work? I guess it could be welded up but I'd rather not take the head off as it's a pretty much brand new HG.

Arse :o

Pugnut

thats really bad luck that!

access is you're main problem for fixing it . i'm sure if you could get rills/taps etc to the area you could have made a plate to go over it or some bodge like that.

a total bummer i know but if that was me i would just bite the bullet and remove the head and go get it welded properly.

hg/bolts and a bit of labour on the weld = peace of mind

a quick fix could get you into more bother.

probably cost you less that 100 notes and a bit of elbow grease to repair . It could be much much worse!!!!

sekim

Well I've bodged it for now, will see how long it lasts :)

Found some stuff in halfords called JB Weld which claims to be super strong, heat resistant, oil resistant and even suitable for fixing cylinder heads! On the other hand it is American so god knows what it's really like :o

Anyway it's clamped up and been left to set overnight...

http://www.saywell.net/gallery/205stuff/img_1482

http://www.saywell.net/gallery/205stuff/img_1483

Think I will put a loop of string through the bolt hole and tie it up to something incase it falls out!

Pugnut
Well I've bodged it for now, will see how long it lasts :)

Think I will put a loop of string through the bolt hole and tie it up to something incase it falls out!

ok , so you're not convinced it will work . so you're bombing allong the road and it falls out . eventually all you're engine oil will get thrown out and you'll starve you're oil pump resulting in one f**ked engine .

All i'm trying to say that a proper repair now for 100£ could save you 5 times that if loose all you're oil.

how much did the chemical metal cost ? that coul have gone towars a proper repair .

lets hope it holds then! :o

Doof

Doesn't look like an Mi so its not the end of the world. I'm not overly fussy about my engine (1.6) because i know if anything goes wrong big time i can buy another for 50 quid and stick it in over a weekend!

Your bodge looks alright, i cant imagine its going to just fall off or anything, worst case scenario is a little leaking i'd think.

Anthony

It'll probably be OK - there's very little loading/stress on that area, so it's unlikely to fall out if you glued it properly. Even if it does, the oil the spills out of there will land on the exhaust manifold and produce alot of smoke, so you'll know about it soon enough I'd say (as you panic thinking that the car is on fire)...

rossimura

Ouch !!

yeah luckily no stress there, thumping alloy heads in cold weather is not a good idea but you know this already.

But to give you more confidence in your 'Glue', I stuck the bottom part of a motorbike engine together, using some stuff called Belzona epoxy.

Its American Army spec epoxy metal stuff (probably similar to what you bought from Halfords), I did it 10 years ago when I was a skint student and the bike still holds oil (it does leak a little bit nowadays).

elrikos

i reckon that'd be ok! as anthony says it'll be immediately apparent if it does go and the loading on the area is tiny. I have found jb weld is actually very good stuf for such things. So long as the mating surfaces were scrupulously clean i can't see it being a problem.

ALEX

Source a another head, not that expensive for an 8 Valve, most of the Peugeot range have the same head but with different cams.

I have one in my garage you could have from a 1.9 405, but it's not in mint condition, It needs new valve guides, and the number one bearing cap has picked up some bits of broken big end bearing. Not too much of a problem to cause low oil pressure though. But what do you expect for free?

If you're up Yorkshire any time soon and you're interested let me Know.

Alex

Rob_the_Sparky

IMHO that should hold as long as you managed to get it grease free. The only stress on that is the airbox, I would think the most likely thing to break it would be someone leaning on the air box...if you are taking it off anyway then you should be OK.

sekim

I cleaned it all up with brake cleaner (no residue) before applying the epoxy so hopefully it's a good bond. Gave her a quick run in the morning to get some heat into it and help it set off firmly. It seems pretty solid so I think I'll see how long it lasts!

I do have a spare head, but it's got a burnt valve and probably needs a total overhaul. I don't have the time or inclination to do that right now! If it breaks then I'll put a new head on, if it doesn't well then... £100 to spend elsewhere :blush:

btw - airbox isn't bolted there any more (was in the process of removing it to fit a k&n) so I think it's got a reasonbly good chance of staying in place (touch wood!)

sekim

B*gger. Going down the M4 today the JB Weld threw in the towel.

Suddenly had a huge cloud of smoke behind me from oil burning on the manifold. Must have scared the van driver behind me :(

Managed to loop some cable ties through on the hard shoulder to keep the chunk in place. Limped to the nearest halfords, bought some rapid araldite and limped back home.

Oh well, a month isn't bad I guess. I'm guessing it failed due to oil contamination and vibration. The glueing process didn't exactly go all that smoothly either as it's in a bloody awkward position!

Ah well, live and learn. Need to fix it properly now...

easypug

Come across this while looking around ebay. click should help to keep the costs down :(

sekim
Come across this while looking around ebay. click should help to keep the costs down :(

Ohh nice find, thanks! Now watching :)

JayCC

now time to stick a mi16 engine in the beast :>

sekim
now time to stick a mi16 engine in the beast :>

Alas finances dictate otherwise. Just spent all my spare cash on making the car safer (sump guard and cage). Boring I know!

But very tempting for the future now that they're road rally legal! :(

Guest btwstripe

i`m getting a 1.9 to break in the next couple of days mate, i`m miles away but could post the head. nothing wrong, starts and drives, but price of scrap is good at the mo, so taking the head off and leaving the bottom end in place is just as good as trying to flog a whole engin lol

Sign in to follow this