• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M@tt

Stalling

M@tt

Hi

The TU engine in our 1.6 106 XT has recently started stalling.

The car idles perfectly at 1000rpm with the very very occasion dipdown in revs and then self rectify however at the moment every time you go to pull away from stationary you've got to be really really really smooth and gentle on the gas otherwise the revs drop and it will stall. if you just jab at the throttle the revs drop and it either stalls or jumps upto about 1500-2000 then settles down again. This happens regardless of whether the engine is hot or cold.

Also when driving it will on occasion suddenly cut out without any warning ie no spluttering or anything just simply cut out

Now i'm getting loads of grief off the girlfriend as she now hates driving it and is scared she will get stuck in traffic in rush hour so i need it sorted.

I've done a serach and suggestions seem to include water temperature sensor and giving the throttle body a clean out with carb cleaner. does anyone have any other suggestions. The lambda sensor was replaced in May for the MOT so hopefully its not anything to do with that. is the water temp sensor the same as one on the xu? if so i might have a spare one

Cheers

Matt

Edited by M@tt

Enfield

Sounds like it could be a blocked fuel filter to me!

M@tt

now that could be an option as she quite often runs the car till its on fumes!! so it could well have sucked some crud up! might swap that over then.

blueice
The car idles perfectly at 1000rpm with the very very occasion dipdown in revs and then self rectify

My 1.1 does something similar, as you slow down and dip the clutch the revs go below 1000 and then it speeds back up to 1000. (except sometimes it doesn't and stalls!) - Haven't worked out why yet :)

M@tt

well i replaced the fuel filter today and thouyght it had cured the problem but coming back from the cinema tonight the car stalled again when pulling up to the lights.

The car doesn't seem to drop revs quite so often now when pulling away although it still does occasionally. but it still cuts out without warning, its usually whne you drop the clutch when your approaching a standstill.

any more ideas people?

christopher

How about the throttle switch?

M@tt

yeah someone on the psooc forum has also suggested that but again just said throttle position switch.

does that means replace it with a new one? or is something that can be adjusted/cleaned/refurbed?

thanks

M@tt

right well i've now replace the fuel filter and fitted a brand new throttle position sensor but the car is still cutting out and stalling.

any more ideas

the car is a 106 xt 1.6 tu5jp engine running EFI Bosch MP5.2 system

cheers

Matt

nick-rallye

is it a coilpack on them?

M@tt

i'm not 100% but as its single point injection i would have thought so

M@tt

as another point the car now stalls everytime i pull into our underground car park which is on a slight down hill and a sharp turn to the left

do you think this could be anything to do with the fuel pump?

Alastairh

I would give the water temp sensor a go. Only £15 from pug.

Can't see it being the fuel pump.

M@tt

cheers for the reply alistair

any reason behind changing the water temp sensor? rather not just go through replacing every sesnor and spending $$ after $$ without understanding what the potential cause is first

cheers

matt

Guest Pug2112
cheers for the reply alistair

any reason behind changing the water temp sensor? rather not just go through replacing every sesnor and spending $$ after $$ without understanding what the potential cause is first

cheers

matt

Would I be stupid in mentioning the idle control valve??

Rippthrough
as another point the car now stalls everytime i pull into our underground car park which is on a slight down hill and a sharp turn to the left

do you think this could be anything to do with the fuel pump?

Had the exact same thing on the single point 1.4. It was the ICV/throttle pot playing up. Stripped it off and cleaned it up and it's been fine (touch wood) ever since.

M@tt

is the ICV/throttle pot the same thing as the throttle position sensor i replaced?

it's a small squareish sensor that bolts onto the back of the throttle housing?

Rippthrough
is the ICV/throttle pot the same thing as the throttle position sensor i replaced?

it's a small squareish sensor that bolts onto the back of the throttle housing?

It was on the side of mine, could be the same thing.

I just pulled out, cleaned and reseated every sensor until it stopped, the ICV/throttle pot was the one that fixed it on mine. :(

Sign in to follow this