• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Alan_M

Gti6 Engine Into 205 Conversion

Alan_M

After getting hold of a cheap GTi6 lump, i'm now looking at it as the long term replacement for my rebuilt Mi16.

Not in any rush to rebuild it and fiddle but what i'm after is a guide or information on the wiring side of things when stuffing it into a 205.

The entire loom is still connected to the engine, and we also grabbed the dash loom cutting it off at the bulkhead.

Is there anything else I need, as there's little left of the car therefore would like to grab anything if req'd before its squashed!

Thanks

Alan

DrSeuss

you have the key, transponder box and ecu as a matched set?

Anthony
you have the key, transponder box and ecu as a matched set?

Keys weren't available, so the ECU would need to be unlocked as and when the time comes.

jonnie205

Best to get ecu unlocked anyway saves messing about with keypads and ignition barells etc. You will have removed 2 plugs down by the front left hand corner of the engine bay. These are the engine control plugs and will have to be wired into the 2 multiplugs under 205 dash.

So where did you boys get the engine from then? did you manage to get box too?

DrSeuss

the 306's loom is completely self contained in that case. The only part of the dash loom worth retaining will be the part that goes to the diagnostic socket.

The ecu will require a permanent 12v supply a switched live and thats 'about' it. Certainly thats about all thats required for an s16 loom.

jochem

Cant remember hooking up a permanent 12v myself, but it has been a while.

Alan, give me your mail adres and i'll send you the gti6 engine diagrams (3mb).

Any clue what's happening with the driveshafts? I'd liek to get my hands on a cheap set if possible...

cheers, jochem.

maxi

Its easy, if you can wire up a 405 mi loom then you can do this, piece of cake. Spend the time chopping out all the s*it you dont need like sensors etc as you will be using the 205 ones. Same crack as usual, live, switched live, fuel pump earths and rev counter wire from the ECU and you are away. Do yourself a favour and get both the battery box/ecu holder from the car and grab the 16pin diagnostic plug from under the dash. Wire it in on the end of the loom, make troubleshooting a lot easier. Piece of cake conversion, I did the last one in around 10hrs start to finish.

Maxi

Alan_M

Jonnie, the engine came from a crashed S-plate Xsara VTS and came with a 5speed BE4 box. Came from my local scrappy, where my Mi lump came from.

Jochem, drivers side shaft was wrecked as part of the accident (smashed the hub to pieces!!!). If you send the file over to MeZ205@aol.com. Thanks....

Thanks Maxi, will have to try and get down there pronto then before they squash the car. What do you think to the conversion, is it worthwhile over a mildly cammed Mi lump?

Cheers

Alan

maxi
Thanks Maxi, will have to try and get down there pronto then before they squash the car. What do you think to the conversion, is it worthwhile over a mildly cammed Mi lump?

Cheers

Alan

Theres pros and cons with any conversion to be honest Alan. My cab drives fantastically well and the purist 205 GTi driver would prefer it over an mi. Huge torque from idle and smooth power band all the way to the limiter. Makes for a fantastic all round power house, nail it in any gear and off it goes. You also have the positive aspect of it having a good standard management setup including the lack of AFM. I personally find them VERY charachterless unlike an mi with its powerband and willingness to rev until it self destructs! :blush: I would pick an mi running huge cams any day of the week but thats just me.

just for your reference heres the pics of my cab, there are engine bay shots in there if you wanted an idea of engine layout in the 205 once converted. Still havent steamed it off under there!!! http://ben.loaded.net/gallery/view_album.p...umName=maxi-cti

Maxi

Edited by maxi

whizzer71

Hi there Adam,NICE conversion mate very pretty ,How did you get so much clearance on the master cylinder,are the cab ones smaller or did you lengthen the lower mount a bit?

Cheers

Tris.

:)

Edited by whizzer71

Sign in to follow this