• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dream Weaver

Emerald Wiring Loom Connections

Dream Weaver

Managed to get most of my wiring loom connected up yesterday, but the last few connections are hindering me and i'm now stumped: :(

Injectors:

The Emerald has a wire for injectors 1&4 and a wire for injectors 2&3. Which injectors are which, i.e. what is the order from the cambelt end?

Does the positive supply for the injectors go to the left hand of the plug, with the little + sign?

Sensors - Air, coolant, TPS:

Not sure how the plugs are wired in for this. I have signal and earth wires for all three, but not sure which order they are wired in on the junior timer connectors - the TPS has 2 signals and 1 earth. So, which side of the plug gets the earth, and which gets the signal?

Fan:

I'm running the fan from the Emerald, so have removed all the std fan wiring including the auto sensor/thermostat in the rad so at the moment I just have the plug coming straight from the fan, which has 3 connections. I assume these are for power, earth and signal, but how can I wire it in? The Emerald has a single wire for the fan which is the signal wire.

Coilpack:

I've got a Mini Cooper S coilpack which has 3 wiring connections (+ve, 2 x signal) and need to find out which terminal is which. I also obviously have 4 HT terminals, and need to know which relate to cylinders 1-4. Are these coilpacks wired in specifically, or can I just reconcile everything?

For example, attach the HT leads relative to each cylinder (whats the firing order?), then attach the wiring based on that setup so put cylinders 1&4 to the right hand of the coilpack, then use the right hand wiring terminal as the supply for 1&4?

Finally...

How can I test that everything is working as it should be once the loom is connected up? Engine related stuff is easy as it wont run if not of the sensors are working, but I need to test all the gauges such as temp, alt etc - cant remember if these come on in ignition position 2???

I think thats it, sorry for the essay but I want to get the loom finished tonight so I can test it :D

smckeown
Injectors:

The Emerald has a wire for injectors 1&4 and a wire for injectors 2&3. Which injectors are which, i.e. what is the order from the cambelt end?

Looks like the order doesnt matter from either end, ie outer two then inner two

pugrallye

coil pack will have a +12v, trigger for coil cyl 1&4, trigger for coil cyl 2&3. pack grounds through body normally, centre wire is usually +12v

Tps has live and ground, centre terminal is signal

Edited by pugrallye

Dream Weaver

So if we have injectors as 1,2,3,4 from cambelt end, middle terminal on the coilpack as +12v, then the outer terminals as the ignition supply that should work?

How would I wire up the HT leads from that? For example, if the right hand side HT connections on the coilpack are set as 1 & 4, which spark plug would this attach to?

Will I damage anything if they are wired up incorrectly, or will it just not fire?

pugrallye

okay, looking at coil pack from end on, doesnt matter which lead goes to no.1 and which to no.4 as they fire together (wasted spark), and depending upon how you wire the plug up depnds on which coil does which cylinders

Edited by pugrallye

Dream Weaver

Right, so this (very rough) visual below would work OK?

coilpackwiring.gif

I always thought they needed to be set into the piston firing order, 1,3,2,4 or whatever it is???

pugrallye

no, dunno if i can nick your pic or not..., sorry that is right, different colour on number 4 threw me, coil pack fires two cylingers at once, only one will be on the compression stroke, hence called wasted spark

Edited by pugrallye

C_W
Right, so this (very rough) visual below would work OK?

coilpackwiring.gif

I always thought they needed to be set into the piston firing order, 1,3,2,4 or whatever it is???

I can't help with the answer but I think that diagram might introduce further confusion as piston no.1 is actually "no.4" in your diagram (ie pistons go 4,3,2,1). I'm pretty sure 1/3/4/2 is the firing order.

Edited by C_W

pugrallye

doesnt make any difference for the questions being answered, to save confusion , just take it as outer two and inner two cylinders, yes 1342 is the firing order, but only dealing with wiring a wasted spark coil pack, so has no relevance for mo

Edited by pugrallye

Dream Weaver

I'm confused now :(

So, the simple answer is, the diagram i've done will work?

Dream Weaver

Cheers pugrallye, any ideas on the other stuff?

Dream Weaver

:D

That was my old wiring diagram. With help from petert we found quite a few problems with that one, and its now been changed to this one:

I can confirm that this loom works so far as well, I powered the ECU up last night and it powered up fine, and also primed the fuel pump - just a shame the fuel pipe had been removed so it puked fuel all over the engine bay :D

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b145/200...emeraldloom.gif

Edited by cybernck

Sign in to follow this