• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
butpug

Megasquirt

butpug

Can you use Megasquirt to work with a Lambda sensor on a closed loop basis?

If not, could you map to 0.91 using a monitor and still pass the MOT on emissions?

Edit; I'm thinking about using it on standard intake manifold etc

Edited by butpug

butpug

Does nobody know???!!! :D

Mad Professor

I not sure about the MS-I but i know my MS-II has loopback mode. for the Wideband sensor.

But that only works when you have a laptop or pc connected.

DrSeuss

You can run megasquirt with a narrowband lambda sensor in closed loop.

I'm not quite sure the range of adjustment but i think you run it much like you would run a map sensor correction factor map. Allowing you to adjust the fuelling.

So in answer, i think it should be possible. Systems with megasquirt are certainly capable of passing mot emissions better then jetronic.

butpug
Systems with megasquirt are certainly capable of passing mot emissions better then jetronic.

Ok, but if you are throwing in more fuel to get a bit more power, is this likely to tip you over the emissions limit??

As I understand most cars are mapped to 1.0 or thereabout(?) to look good on emissions. We tuned our FS engine to 0.91 for power reasons,,,,,, but I have no idea whether this will get through an MOT?

Can someone put me on the straight and narrow :D

fiji bob

wouldnt that only affect the mixture under load? or maybe a temporary map for the mot?

Rippthrough

Surely you can just map to 1 for the MOT, then back to 0.91?

butpug
wouldnt that only affect the mixture under load? or maybe a temporary map for the mot?

No idea! A temporary map is a good idea though. :D

Edited by butpug

fiji bob

just be sure not to let the car out of your sight you dont want someone ragging your car if its not set up for wot properly

Edited by fiji bob

DrSeuss

You can set up a secondary map on the megasquirt ecu and install a dashmounted button to trigger it, requires minor modification of the ecu. You can also set a limit, an idea would be to set up a compensation map to bring it to lambda 1 and give it a rev limit of 3k this would certainly do for emissions and any jollies the garage mechanics were going on....

IvarS

Hook the car up to an exhaust meter (any decent car workshop has one) and adjust the fuel map at idle until the readings are good. The idle part of the fuel map isn't that important when it comes to driving the car, as long as it doesn't sound like s*it or stall. :D

Rippthrough
You can set up a secondary map on the megasquirt ecu and install a dashmounted button to trigger it, requires minor modification of the ecu. You can also set a limit, an idea would be to set up a compensation map to bring it to lambda 1 and give it a rev limit of 3k this would certainly do for emissions and any jollies the garage mechanics were going on....

Isn't it also possible to map to lambda 1 at low throttle openings?

Think I saw that while trying to get my head round the theory side of it all. (Which I still haven't managed!)

Anthony

You're making this far more complicated than it needs to be.

You only need to run richer mixtures (around 12.5:1 AFR) at high throttle openings / low MAP values, and at low throttle openings / high MAP values you can lean the mixture out (around 15:1-17:1 AFR) for better economy and emissions. Then at idle, you can map it to whatever is needed to get it to idle and pass emissions.

That's the beauty of 3D management that you can map it in relation to both load, throttle position and engine speed :D

butpug

Ok cool.

So where do they measure emissions then? Only at idle?

DrSeuss

I believe they're measured at idle and fast idle. If the car fails on your first map just go in to the test station with your laptop and adjust it while they do the test.

Hilgie

It's just on idle iirc.

DrSeuss

my mums recent mot certificate had the emissions at fast idle and idle listed.

Hilgie

ok...might be a difference between dutch and uk MOT then.

Mad Professor

Hi All.

Alittle bit off topic, But sunday (06/11/2005) I have started fitting my MegaSquirt-II upto my 205.

butpug
Hi All.

Alittle bit off topic, But sunday (06/11/2005) I have started fitting my MegaSquirt-II upto my 205.

I'm quite keen to run my Mi16 on MS II using the normal injection stuff. It seems they now have the software to cover the 60-2 teeth flywheel problem too, although from what I can make out, most pug sensors aren't compatible,,, is this true???

Mad Professor

I know on the 205 8v engine only the coolant (CTS) sensor is compatible with the MegaSquirt.

DrSeuss

On later model cars ie s16, 2ltr turbo and up all sensors are compatible, it just doesn't work with afm's and without a proper throttle potentiometer (not throttle switch).

IvarS

The Citroen XM 2.0 8 Valve 122hp throttle housing fits Mi16-manifold "bolt on" and is 22% larger in flow area (42mm instead of 38). This housing also comes with the potentiometer TPS.

Sign in to follow this