• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Hilgie

Mbe Ecu

Hilgie

I was advised to use the MBE ecu ( http://www.mbesystems.com ) instead of KMS/Emerald because it's supposed to be better and cheaper (around 500 euro). Anyone know more about this?

pugrallye

MBE are very good, a very established ecu, been around for years so know what they are up to.

Nothing wrong with emerald at all, they are cheap, software and hardware are top notch, and good customer service, damn helpful guy...

You pays your money, you takes your choice, depends on where is easier for getting them mapped is the question that swings it

Sandy

The software's a bit baffling and I couldn't figure out a way of live mapping it, but that might be me. I'm a DTA lover really.

DrSeuss

I was suggested MBE as a good ecu, its nice and flexible in terms of mapping and doesn't have loads of bells and whistles to get confused by. Also cheap.

Hilgie

Checked their website as well and those ECUs are standard items in almost ALL TVRs!!!

Col

Hilgie im sure Graeme uses this in his track 205.

Hilgie

I'll have a chat whith Graeme then :rolleyes:

feb
I'll have a chat whith Graeme then :angry:

Hilgie, have you had any news on this as I have also heard good words about them and have found someone who uses them in rally cars (mainly peugeots).

For a nornally aspirated 205 i think they have all what is needed

M3Evo

I e-mailed MBE a couple of time when I was looking into options for the M3 engine. They never got back to me though, so I went with OMEX who immediately replied and were very helpful!

feb
I e-mailed MBE a couple of time when I was looking into options for the M3 engine. They never got back to me though, so I went with OMEX who immediately replied and were very helpful!

Same here but i hope i can get all the support i need from the mapper as he has been using them for quite a while and seems confident with them. Asking him about Motec (he also fits them) he said they are too expensive for what i want. Basically all i want is cold start functionality, a rock steady idle and a system that takes in to account air temp, barometric pressure and get rid of the b**dy AFM and distributor as I'm fed up with the $hite jetronic :P

Asking mainly if MBE are reliable more than anything else.

You can download the software from http://www.sbdev.co.uk/Display.htm

i have to admit though i prefer emerald's or haltech's software which seem easier to use.

Also, i haven't managed to find any other idle control options functionality in MBE (unless they are hidden in the multiple screens) apart from "fuel enrichment VS coolant temp", whereas the Haltech has:

Target Idle RPM

Cold Idle RPM

Warm up TPS threshold (%)

Start RPM

Cold temp Limit ©

Cold Min Position (%)

Hot Min Position (%)

Cold Open Position (%)

Hot Open Position (%)

Aux Open Position(%)

Could someone advice if "fuel mixture VS coolant temp" is enough by itself to have a good idle when cold? I am not sure what Cold/Hot Min of the Haltech do TBH.

EDIT: reading more about it has anyone added an idle air control valve to a 205 on std plenum?

No point the ECU supporting it there is no fitted. Still learning...

Thanks a lot,

Edited by feb

petert

I recently fitted a Haltech E6X to a 16V with a standard plenum. The "Coolant Temperature Correction Map" is not enough by itself to get a steady idle until it's warmed up. It's a bugger when cold. As the Mi16 only has a two wire idle motor, you can not use the 4 wire system of the Haltech, unless you fit a GM idle motor. However, you can use a PWM (pulse width modulation) output to control the idle, by selecting "BAC Valve". Alter the period in ms until you get the desired idle RPM. I can send you the 16V map and a 8V map if you're interested. The 16V map is setup to use the Motronic crank trigger. The 8V map is setup to use a locked dizzy.

I've been involved with aftermarket ECU's for 16 years now, and from what I've seen of Emerald it's not in the league of the Aussie built Haltech, Autronic or Motronic. Sure Motrnoic and Autronic are aimed at the race market, whereas Haltech is aimed at the hot street market and superb value for money.

Edited by petert

feb
I recently fitted a Haltech E6X to a 16V with a standard plenum. The "Coolant Temperature Correction Map" is not enough by itself to get a steady idle until it's warmed up. It's a bugger when cold. As the Mi16 only has a two wire idle motor, you can not use the 4 wire system of the Haltech, unless you fit a GM idle motor. However, you can use a PWM (pulse width modulation) output to control the idle, by selecting "BAC Valve". Alter the period in ms until you get the desired idle RPM. I can send you the 16V map and a 8V map if you're interested. The 16V map is setup to use the Motronic crank trigger. The 8V map is setup to use a locked dizzy.

Peter, thanks for clarifying this. I understand that you have fitted a BAC valve to the 16V/8V (correct me if wrong)? Could you please post a pic of them fitted?

I quite fancy the Haltech but the mapper doesn't seem to be in favour of them, dunno why B)

i guess it's what he is used to or what he makes most profit from!

Do BAC, IACV and idle motor refer to the same thing?

I believe that IACV is necessary specially as my PAS pump (on its last legs) puts a lot of stress in the engine when idling so need to compensate for that. Would an electrically operated steering pump put less stress on the engine when idling?

Sorry for flooding with questions and thanks for your help :D

petert

I don't know why you wouldn't enjoy mapping a Haltech. They're the original and probably still the best interface. They lost a court case back in early nineties claiming they had the patent for using a computer to interface to an automotive ECU.

I used a standard 16V idle motor controlled by the BAC output option. No point posting a picture as it looked 100% stock. You could get a BAC valve off another make and plumb it in place of the SAD, for an 8V. I have one off a local Ford that would do the job nicely.

Edited by petert

Guest Chris Astley Motorsport

I have always used dta on my own and customers cars as i have a few rolling roads in the area that map dta effectively. Never had any bad comments about mbe, but havent had much experience with it myself.

Chris

Sandy

I've done one session with the MBE and found it laborious compared to the DTA software without knobs.

Sign in to follow this