• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
B1ack_Mi16

Upgrading To Bigger Brakes...

B1ack_Mi16

I know this is probably just "overkill", but as I've changed the fronts for the Brembo-setup, with 307 discs, I found out I would do something about the rears too :)

Pic of the fronts:

http://cortex.fa-s.ntnu.no/~kristian/205gt...bo/CIMG0355.jpg

About the rear brakes, I'm now going to use front discs from 405 Mi16, which is 266x20mm in size.

I made myself some caliper spacer-brackets in autocad, taht I got lasercut today:

http://cortex.fa-s.ntnu.no/~kristian/205gt...05/CIMG0806.jpg

Caliper is now test fitted (still only standard rear disc on) and it seem to be spaced out the correct amount to accept the 266mm disc.

http://cortex.fa-s.ntnu.no/~kristian/205gt...05/CIMG0808.jpg

What do you think, I know I'll get a bit more unsprung weight, but I just couldn't get myself to mount those tiny standard discs :wacko:

Ahl

Should be interesting, but doesn't the 206 gti 180 or 307 use the same rear brakes as the 205 gti?

Maybe it would be easier and just as effective to adjust the brake balance or use 206 compensators if suitable?

B1ack_Mi16
Should be interesting, but doesn't the 206 gti 180 or 307 use the same rear brakes as the 205 gti?

Maybe it would be easier and just as effective to adjust the brake balance or use 206 compensators if suitable?

Yes, I think they use the same brakes as the 205 Gti, but it's not because of the brake balance I'm doint it.

I have a adjustable bias-valve anyway. It's just beeing done because I want it to be different :wacko:

Ahl

Thats cool - im not trying to shoot you down, as I know a man like yourself would have considered all the possibilities! :P:wacko:

I'd do it the cheap way, but thats just because im tight fisted git. :)

C_W

How are you going to work around the fact that the rear calipers are designed for a 10mm disc width? With 20mm there won't be any where to put the pads!??

pug_ham
How are you going to work around the fact that the rear calipers are designed for a 10mm disc width? With 20mm there won't be any where to put the pads!??
Use the pad guide from the 1.6 GTI Bendix front calipers?

You had to post a link to the picture showing off what wheels you are fitting didn't you Kristian? :wacko:

Graham.

B1ack_Mi16

Exactly what Graham says, the pad guide from the 1.6 front brakes fits the rear caliper bolt on, so that's actually not a poblem at all :)

And yeah, I just had to post that pic of the wheels :wacko:

tom_m
Exactly what Graham says, the pad guide from the 1.6 front brakes fits the rear caliper bolt on, so that's actually not a poblem at all :(

And yeah, I just had to post that pic of the wheels :(

and what loverly wheels they are :D

going slighty off topic: does that mean you could fit the pad guide from the 1.6 to the rear calipers and run the 1.6 vented discs on the rear since they are the same diameter? or would the offsets mess up?

Edited by tom_m

B1ack_Mi16
and what loverly wheels they are :D

going slighty off topic: does that mean you could fit the pad guide from the 1.6 to the rear calipers and run the 1.6 vented discs on the rear since they are the same diameter? or would the offsets mess up?

The offset would mess up bigtime with 1.6 front discs, also it will not work with 1.9 discs either. 1.9's are 35mm height. The 405 Mi16 fronts are 27mm height, so when using a bracket (I've now found out that 15mm thick one would probably be the best) the caliper will be spaced a bit inwards so it will work good with the 405 discs.

Btw, the standard rear discs are 8mm thick and 20mm height.

Hilgie

Try using BX 16V front calipers on the rear. They can handle vented discs AND have the handbrake controls. This way you can use the 247 vented discs on the rear (which should be sufficient).

B1ack_Mi16
Try using BX 16V front calipers on the rear. They can handle vented discs AND have the handbrake controls. This way you can use the 247 vented discs on the rear (which should be sufficient).

Then I guess the seals in the caliper will have to be changed?

I'm doing this because I had some 1.6 fronts already on my car which are changed fro the Brembos anyway. And I like the idea of 266 discs :D

Hilgie

The BX has it's handbrake on the front, so that is just a straight swap. So I don't know why the seals shouls be swapped. Maybe you were thinking of the hydrolic oil?

B1ack_Mi16
The BX has it's handbrake on the front, so that is just a straight swap. So I don't know why the seals shouls be swapped. Maybe you were thinking of the hydrolic oil?

Yes, it was the hydraulic oil I was thinking of.

But there's no problem using the standard rear calipers either like I do, as the handbrake will still work just fine...

DrSeuss

LHM eats standard rubber seals and standard brake fluid eats LHM seals.

Hilgie

OK...not a very good option then. So your setup will be:

- 1.6 front pad brackets

- 1.9 GTi rear caliper

- 266 405 Mi front discs

Am I correct?

B1ack_Mi16
OK...not a very good option then. So your setup will be:

- 1.6 front pad brackets

- 1.9 GTi rear caliper

- 266 405 Mi front discs

Am I correct?

Yes, that's it.. using 1.6 front pads, and "home-made" brackets to position the caliper further out (radially) and further into the wheelarch.

B1ack_Mi16

Just got the discs delivered on my doorstep this morning, so I just mounted it up to see, and it looks good.

Just need to sandblast and paint the pad-bracket now, and get some pads.

CIMG0812.jpg

tom_m

mmm i like that!

any plans to get more of the brackets made up?

are you removing the compentators and fitting a bias valve?

B1ack_Mi16
mmm i like that!

any plans to get more of the brackets made up?

are you removing the compentators and fitting a bias valve?

I'm going to get some pads first and see how it mounts up, it may be that I need 15mm thick brackets instead of 10mm as they're now, not sure yet, just have to ensure that the sliders will be in the proper working area.

Yes, I'm fitting an bias-valve. After I'm 100% sure of this working I might make some more brackets :P

cybernck

nice to see it all mounted up.

you should have gone "balls out" and fit 283x20 discs though :P.

bren_1.3

wont you be able to make use of the larger brakes on the rear?? maybe an decrease in front tyre wear through a more rearward braking force?

shoot me down.............

B1ack_Mi16
shoot me down.............

*bang* :P

DrSeuss

Will be interesting to see how readily you lock the rear wheels now.

B1ack_Mi16
Will be interesting to see how readily you lock the rear wheels now.

That will be down to how I adjust the bias valve, only thing that may improve a bit is the handbrake, but can't really see that 10mm extra lever-arm on the brake-force is going to help very much with that either :P

DrSeuss

lol, all show no go.

You tart :rolleyes:

Sign in to follow this