• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tom_m

I'm Fitting New Handbrake Cables

tom_m

so theres me thinking this will be a quick job to tackle in the afternoon and off i go. drivers side was a doddle, all uncliped and a touch of WD and a touch of heat a little tapping and out pops the cable from the caliper.

unfortunately the passenger side is not submitting to the same treatment, i used up all the gas in my mini blow torch lighter thingy and no matter how much i smack the sh*t ouy of the the cable end its not budging.

I've left if drenched in WD over night but does anyone have any tricks up their sleeve for getting the cables out of the caliper?

help!

Tom

Wurzel

Cut the inner cable off, use a nice large parallel punch and lump hammer.

Couple of good hits gets them out every time. Heat isn't always your best friend :)

tom_m

sorted! change of tool and a better angle, cheers Wurzel I'd love to say the soaking in WD helped, but once it popped out half of it was bone dry! penetrating yeah right!

:D

Edited by tom_m

Bonzai

today ive been trying to get the cables out of my calipers, but what looks like a bush is totally siezed into the caliper?

im contemplating cutting the actual cable part but i thought i'd check to see if there is an easier way of doing things

cheers

Bonzai

my last post wasnt very clear.

1. am i right in thinking there is a bush which the cable goes through and sits in the caliper?

2. if so does this need changing if i replace the cable?

any tips for this appreciated

jonD6B
my last post wasnt very clear.

1. am i right in thinking there is a bush which the cable goes through and sits in the caliper?

2. if so does this need changing if i replace the cable?

any tips for this appreciated

It's all one piece. I hacksawed the caliper side of the cable off so it was flush with the hole that it goes through and used a punch to knock it through as suggested above.

Jonmurgie

There is a little metal bush type thing with ridges that pushes into the caliper... I believe this comes with the new cable... have you got a new cable and if so is there a metal bush on it? It does tend to sieze in there but it's tapered as well so cutting the cable out and then tapping the bush out from behind...

Hope that makes some kind of sense, some pics on this page may help as you can see the cable out of the caliper: http://www.mdracing.co.uk/rearbeam.asp

Sign in to follow this