• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mad Professor

Cv Boot Fitting Cone Tool

Mad Professor

Hi All.

Someone quite some time back posted about a CV Boot fitting tool.

17172_VS705.jpg

CV Boot Installation Tool

In the past with my XS I have had to pull out the driveshaft, pull the driveshaft apart, All this taking upto 2 hours.

Well anyway I know that my CV boot had split so i ordered one of the above tools, and why a grate buy, so much easyer fitting the CV boot.

Wurzel

Great aren't they. I've used mine loads of times now on all sorts of cars. Just some good quality silicone grease spray or fairy liquid helps things along.

I've found that the boot used helps a lot as well though, some seem a bit too tough and not stretchy enough.

Ahl
Great aren't they.

As above. :lol:

pug_ham

Used mine last week to do a boot on my mums car prior to the MOT, didn't even spill any oil out of the gearbox on the passenger one. :lol: Just make sure you grease the cone so the boot doesn't stick.

Graham.

Man3

I got one of these a while back hoping it would make my life easier but I gave up on it in the end. Even with a load of grease smeared all over it me and my old man couldnt get the boot to slide over it. I think I must have had a super thick and not particularly stretchy boot. Either that or the cone is a bit too big for the job, I think its a laser one from my local motor factors.

pug_ham
I think I must have had a super thick and not particularly stretchy boot.
You do need to get a decent stretchy boot, AMK were recommended to me & with the cone well lubed I've not had a problem yet using them.

Graham.

nelly

i alwasy found them to be a be a pain in the back side.. easiest way to get the boot on but i always ended up with the cone and the boot covered in fairy liquid and my hands slipping off it every 2 secs.

always seemed like just as the boot was about to go over the end off the cone the rubber wouldnt stretch anymore.. drove me crazy! :)

kate205gti

with the outer cv boot does it just stretch the new boot enough to get it on that side then?? i might go find one of these! :)

pug_ham

Yes, you just turn the boot inside out & lube it up to slide it over & then turn it right way out again, stuff the joint full of grease & fasten it up with the straps supplied using a pair of pincers. :)

Graham.

kate205gti

or.. u turn it inside out, lube it up, struggle for half an hour trying to get the f***er onto the tool then split the new cv boot pushing it on!!! :):angry::D

Ahl

You need the stretchy boots of course! :)

kate205gti

meh :D cheated and knocked the end off it now :) it oviuosly wasnt stretchy enough :lol:

C_W
meh :D cheated and knocked the end off it now :) it oviuosly wasnt stretchy enough :P

Might have been too cold or something? You should have tried putting it in boiling water for a bit first

Guest btwstripe

when using these in the trade, you had to state when purchasing a new boot that you wanted a "stretchy" one (technical i know), as normal boots are not designed to be put on like this. i`m sure it was a company called masterparts that did a full range. renault garages were renouned for using them.

personally i can`t use them, i don`t believe anything should be lubed up that much if she ain`t over the age of fifty!

Sign in to follow this