• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
NOsMAN

Another 406 M/c Query

NOsMAN

I need the part number of the correct MC required ....

Which one do i go for(2 outlet or 4) on a 1.6 gti braking system using standard calipers with the autofive big disc conversion??

need to know quite urgently as the brakes are useless at the moment so i'm driving around at donkey pace :)

cheers

DrSeuss

With standard callipers just buy a standard m/c from brakepart.co.uk

23.8 will be complete overkill and a bit of an arse to drive.

smckeown

If i was buying a new M/C i'd buy the same sized one but a 4 port rather than 3. You always get 1 or 2 blanking plugs when you buy them, so for now you'd blank one plug up. Therefore, in the future if you ever upgrade to rear discs you have a much easier way of running 2 lines to the rear

Anthony
If i was buying a new M/C i'd buy the same sized one but a 4 port rather than 3. You always get 1 or 2 blanking plugs when you buy them, so for now you'd blank one plug up. Therefore, in the future if you ever upgrade to rear discs you have a much easier way of running 2 lines to the rear

Why bother running 2 lines when retaining the 1.6 compensator and single brakeline works just fine and means you don't have the unreliable 1.9 style compensators? I think most replacement 20.6mm MC's are 4 port anyway though - certainly Brakepart only stocks 4 port ones...

smckeown

buying a 4 port just means you have more options what ever you choose.

macaroni

To jump in here, I have an xs with 1.9dturbo front brakes. I too find the brakes very strong, but with a long pedal travel which I would like to eradicate.

What would be the best m/c for me to buy?

smckeown
To jump in here, I have an xs with 1.9dturbo front brakes. I too find the brakes very strong, but with a long pedal travel which I would like to eradicate.

What would be the best m/c for me to buy?

A slightly larger one than what you currently have

Edited by smckeown

smckeown

well what size is your current one for starters ?

macaroni

This is gonna sound pretty thick, but I don't know. It is whatever is fitted to a 205xs.

Right, got my brain installed now. It is 20.6 and seems to be the biggest non-ABS m/c right up to the 406 1.8, which is 23.8.

Would that fit the 205 servo?

smckeown

23.8mm will be too large for those calipers, so don't bother

Are you sure it's not 19mm ? should say on the bottom of the M/C

Has pedal always been long, or traditionally an issue ?

If you have drums on the rear it could be that they need adjusting, as that can make the pedal travel longer

macaroni

I guess that is pretty big. I was going by the part numbers on brake-part.co.uk.

I have adjusted the drums as finely as I can and it helps, but there is still a good inch or so of travel.

If it is 19mm, I guess the 20.6 from a 1.6gti would be a good upgrade, but if it is indeed a 20.6, then might it be worn and just replacing it would help?

smckeown

yeah i'd agree with that, if your confident you have adjusted the drums to the best ability

Sam

I kept the standard MC when I ran 306 DT calipers, was fine after a good few bleeds. I found pedal travel was pretty good after changing the rear cylinders and setting the auto adjusters up etc.

pug_ham
I guess that is pretty big. I was going by the part numbers on brake-part.co.uk.
Best way to be certain is to look on the one fitted to your car.

An XS should have a 19mm mc fitted as Sean said & fitting a 20.6mm one will take them up to the standard output fitted to the 306 Dturbo afaik.

A decent bleed up might be more effective than replacing it, certainly less hassle removing (& more than likely replacing) the brake pipes from it.

Graham.

macaroni

Apologies for the resurrection of this thread...

I have acquired a 406 4 port, 23mm M/C and attached it. The pedal travel is still long! It is driving me mad.

The rear drums are adjusted perfectly, the pedal feel is good and hard and the brakes work well. I just hate the inch or so of travel before anything happens.

Anyone got any other ideas as to what could be wrong?

jonah

Have you compared the pedal travel with other 205's? An inch of travel sounds completely normal. Just caused by the rebound in the piston seals and a small amount of flex in every part of the system.

You can buy residual pressure valves that will (supposedly) reduce the travel further, but they will also cause the brakes to permanently drag slightly.

macaroni

It has far more travel than my wifes old 205dt had.

Anyway, I thought the 406m/c woudl reduce the travel, but it doesn't seem to have.

pug_ham

Try a search about this, I'm sure there have been a couple of topics recently that discussed this & the rod in the servo needs adjusting to take up the slack.

Topic here that mentions the 405 22.2mm mc but not the 406 one -_-.

Graham.

macaroni

OK, well I have fitted the 406, 23mm M/C and bled the brakes profusely.

It feels absolutely dreadful. Less travel, but no bite until I stand on the pedal and then everything locks on.

I reckon I either need a bigger servo or just go back to the 20mm M/C, bleed them well and adjust the rod in the servo.

Oh well, it had to be tried!

Thanks for all the advice.

Sign in to follow this