• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest quantumjohn

Drivers Footwell Wet But Not Anywhere Else

Guest quantumjohn

After the really heavy rain that we had in the Sout East on Saturday night - and the result 'play' in the flooded roads - I have found the drivers footwell soaking. The problem is that the carpet isn't wet anywhere else around it so I don't know which route it took to get there.

Are there any grommets or bungs in the lower bulkhead or floor that could be missing causing this?

Cheers,

John

Edited by quantumjohn

hoody_g

You might have a rust hole in the bulkhead just at the drivers footwell. Dont know if this is a comon spot but mines has a hole their dont have a pick. Another fault might be a leaking heater matrix but i suspect it to be a hole.

HTH

Hoody

Guest quantumjohn

Thanks hoody.

I think this is going to involve a bit of searching around. Can't see any holes from a quick look underneath and definately not the heater matrix as the water doesn't taste sweet.

Cheers,

John

hman205

grommet on the bulk head popped out?

ashlee205gti

I had this very problem but on the passenger side. I bit of investigating underneath the carpet i found a small hole. It wasnt a hole caused by rust it looked like it was 'supposed' to be there and that a rubber bung of such had fell out or was missing. Either that or previous owners decided to drill a hole in the floor :D . Might be worth a look, lift the carpet and take a peek. :)

Ren

Could be the windscreen, I had this and it filled up a good inch or two in the drivers footwell. The rubber around the screen lets the water through. Luckily I work for a windscreen company and manged to reseal it. The stuff we use is called Arbomast and you pump it between the rubber and the glass working your way round the screen. Make sure you put enough in all the way round so that it oozes out and the scrape the excess off. HTH. Ren.

danGTI

If it's getting wet in the footwell chances are it's dripping across the roof then down the A pillar and round, I had this problem for a while and it turned out to be a hole someone had drilled to fit a wind deflector in the past, the water then runs along and sticks with the surface tension so doesn't drip verticaly as you might expect, then it makes its way down behind the plastic trim and onwards. It's quite common for 205's to leak and confuse you with the route the water takes, look under the back seats for a great example!

There's also an outside chance it could be coming from the ariel (usually shows itself up by filling the interior light - same as I happened to me on Saturday during the rain) or the washers on the handle of the sunroof, or maybe even the sunroof itself. If all else fails make sure the rear windows seal as they should when you shut them, doesn't sound like they're to blame though from the way you describe it.

Edited by danGTI

Simes

Could be all manor of things

including

door and rear passenger rubbers..

Gavin Waddell

mine did the same i reckoned it was coming in fronmthe heater intake, as whn it rained i used to see it drip down the wires

elrikos

mine did it too. remove the scuttle panel as it locates under the windscreen rubber, add some grease and refit it. mine had started to let water leak past and it went down the heater fan hole.

Guest PuggyLav

Above the pedals you have two holes through the bulkhead. One is situated quite low down through which goes the accelerator cable etc and the other is a little higer up which the heater pipes from the engine go through. I would put my money on the lower one, easy to trace from the engine bay.

Hope it helps,

Ian

ashley peddle
I had this very problem but on the passenger side. I bit of investigating underneath the carpet i found a small hole. It wasnt a hole caused by rust it looked like it was 'supposed' to be there and that a rubber bung of such had fell out or was missing. Either that or previous owners decided to drill a hole in the floor :unsure: . Might be worth a look, lift the carpet and take a peek. :)

was that about 5 inches round just behind the passenger seat? mine is being held on with duck tape... acts as air conditioning when its hot :P (just pull it back a bit, lol!)

i get a little lake in the rear of my 205 where the trench bit is (where the rear seats go...) i get waves going from side to side when i go round corners :D then i get wet feet the first time a brake too hard :D

Edited by ashley peddle

Dino

Any conclusion to this topic as my drivers footwell fills up everytime it rains heavily and its really pissing me off! I want to get my carpet and soundproofing back in!

I'm gonna check for these holes tomorrow as I seem to remember removing a grommit (spelling?!) when I used to run a power cable through into the car for amps.

I cant see how water can get in though as when it rains the engine bay doesnt get wet.......I would assume the water to run into the scuttle and then down the sides through the drain holes surely........

Edited by Dino

pugrallye

aha that'll be your rhs scuttle drain hole blocked

Dino
aha that'll be your rhs scuttle drain hole blocked

Nope cleeeeeean as a whistle mate!

I've also had my windscreen changed (cracked anyway) and the rubber sealed with silicone......

Man3

I've been battling with leaks for god knows how long. I think i have it sorted and then before i know it its full with water again, only I get it on driver and passenger sides. Half the problem I've found is that water gets in between the side windows and the scraper seals, the water runs down the window and into the door and then manages to get down the back of the door card and into the car. I put a hose pipe on my car and it just came streaming in. I got new seals but the door skin or glass is distorted and there is still a big gap, I tweaked the door skin a bit but there is still a small gap.

I've checked the sunroof, the rear side windows are fine, i've sealed the windscreen..........

Edited by Man3

Dino

Well I have seen some small seapage on my door rubber but it's so minor that it cant be that and the position of where it comes in is wrong too as the the water comes in from the front of the car.

When it rains hard I can SEE the water trickling down from behind the pedals where the bulkhead soundproofing (that goes up behind dash) is.

GLPoomobile

God the bless the leaky 205. I have the usual leaks that I was planning on tackling in due course. But on Sat I opened the glove box for the first time in ages and found a little puddle inside. The fusebox seems dry and the passenger footwell is dry too. So i'll have fun tracking this one down!

Paintguy

This'll be one of my little projects this weekend, as I too am fed up of having sopping wet carpets, and a car that smells of wet dog all the time!

It must be coming in around the top of the bulkhead somewhere, as it's always wet after a spot of rain, but God knows where.

24seven

I had a leaky bulkhead in my old Mk2 polo. sometimes in the rain water would gush (lieraly) down the throttle pedal and soak my feet.

de Noir

If you have a fluid in the drivers footwell, atop of the carpet, then you should search for leakage atop of it, as carpet-base is somekind of rubber-plastic moulding that is watertight.

Therefore, water from underneath the car can't penetrate in the footwell, it stays under the carpet and dries out, without you even noticing it.

All this of course, assuming the carpet has no holes.

Windscreen, if it wasn't replaced shouldn't be an issue.

I would check the door seal leading edge and the heater matrix.

Exact leakage spot on the latter is impossible to detect without dismantling half of the dashboard and taking the thing off.

Edited by MH_

Daz_C

I have just cured a water leak on my 205 and after stripping vertually the whole drivers side out i found it to be leaking when water was poured into the scuttle panel. The drain hole is Big and U would need some huge debree to block it but it was clear. It turns out it was tracking back between the joint of the scuttle panel/bulk head after it had gone down the drain hole at 1 small point where sealer had presumably not been applied properly at the factory. These parts have never been replaced/damaged. A peugeot technician I spoke to also said he had come across this problem with 1 205 they had in.

Above the Ecu theres a strenghening brace and it was right up behind there. I had to remove it which was easier said than done and found it had been leaking for a long time :D We,ve cut the s*ite out now, repaired and sealed it and after chucking water at it for half an hour yesterday not had a drop in side the car so am going to start putting it back together. :)

When I first found the problem the majority of the sound deadening was soaked on the bulkhead so unless it was blatently obvious where it was leaking I was pissing in the wind trying to find where it was coming from so stripped the lot out.

So it may help checking up there.

Duroc
If it's getting wet in the footwell chances are it's dripping across the roof then down the A pillar

I had a problem with footwell water a while back. It was most noticable when it had been parked for a while, whilst raining. Eventually I traced the problem to one of the two sunroof drainpipes (the holes can be seen at the front corners when the sunroof's open) that run down the a pillars. The fexible tube had come off the hard plastic pipe just before it goes down the pillar. As I remember I had to get under the headlining just in front of the grab handle.

Sign in to follow this