• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
smckeown

Secondary Oil Pressure Warning Light

smckeown

Has anyone ever fitted the ThinkAuto kit here. As they don't list Peugeot in their kit list I have emailed them. I have read over on the caterham site this system has been used by people over there in conjunction with a variable oil pressure switch.

Hopefully will be a cheap way to get a decent early warning system going, rather than the useless OE version

Sean

evouk

Keep me informed sean.

Hopefully will be a cheap way to get a decent early warning system going, rather than the useless OE version

Sean

smckeown

yeah no worries, i'm on a mission to get a decent warning system in the new track car.

I'll see what think auto have to say, the only alternative I have right now is to use an SPA-Design gauge as I did previously, and run the secondary warning light as an external from that unit (nice feature that). As it's a dual gauge, and I have carbs, might get a dual oil/fuel pressure system in there for £200 plus.

Sam

Whats wrong with the SPA gauge with an auxillary output?

Edit: Should of finished reading the last post :ph34r:

I wouldn't worry so much about fuel pressure, oil temp and pressure would be best surely?

Edited by Sam

evouk

Just slightly off topic but,

On Saturday i fitted a new oil pressure guage in the dashboard of my 205 mi. It gace a different reading to the standard pug dash item but after say 15 mins they both stopped working!!! Have checked the connections and they are fine. I fitted a new oil sender aswell.

Any ideas?

smckeown
Just slightly off topic but,

On Saturday i fitted a new oil pressure guage in the dashboard of my 205 mi.  It gace a different reading to the standard pug dash item but after say 15 mins they both stopped working!!!  Have checked the connections and they are fine.  I fitted a new oil sender aswell.

Any ideas?

How did you get both working at the same time ? Both the pressure feeds and elec wiring. If foth stopped working then sound slike they share a common feed for 1 or both

Rob_the_Sparky

If you have an oil pressure gauge then why do you need another light? Sure the OE light on its own is only just better than nothing but with a gauge you only need read it to know precisely what the oil pressure is doing.

This would be great on most cars, where a gauge is not fitted but I don't see the point if you have a gauge...

crogthomas

Its very difficult to 'read' a gauge whilst doing 90mph on three wheels round a corner. A big fog light mounted on the dash on the other hand, is very easy to see.

smckeown
Its very difficult to 'read' a gauge whilst doing 90mph on three wheels round a corner. A big fog light mounted on the dash on the other hand, is very easy to see.

Absolutely, you want the equivilant of a lighthouse on your dash, otherwise chances are you'll never see it. I had a small red LED on my SPA-design gauges, and not once did i see the warnings, only on video afterwards did i get to see them.

Rob_the_Sparky

Fair enough! It shouldn't be hard to fit if you can get the right thread for the block or some type of adaptor and electrically it couldn't be simpler!

There seem to be a few cars with metric fittings on there so just rip out the old one and replace with one with a compatible thread...

evouk

The new guage sender wire was wired to the new oil pressure sender and just to try it out i re connected the exisiting female connector to the oil pressure sender giving 2 readings, one for the new guage and one for the dash guage.

smckeown

the parts have arrived

secondary%20oil%20pressure.jpg

The OE one threads into the top if this adapter.

Referring to the original OE switch wiring should make wiring this one in a doddle

Sean

Jonmurgie

What were the part numebrs you ordered in the end Sean, as you mention they don't list the Pug...

smckeown

T Piece TP12

35psi switch EWS/1D

evouk

Cost please?

Going to order over weekend.

smckeown

abput £40. Detailed prices on their site. I would recommend getting an even larger warning light than they supply, don't think it will be bright enough, but until i wire it up (will be ages away) i can't tell

Sam

One of these badboys on the dash...

Police_Light.jpg

On a serious note what oil pressures does the average MI run?

smckeown
One of these badboys on the dash...

Police_Light.jpg

On a serious note what oil pressures does the average MI run?

haha yeah that ought to do it.

Doesn't matter what pressure it normally runs at, this solution is regarding early detecting serious pressure loss.

Sam

I know but I was just wondering thats all, what figures did your old Mi run? Finding this spa gauge pretty handy B)

smckeown

well this system is now fitted and it's excellent, a well worth investment on any track/race car.

Sam - i'm now looking for bright LEDs, where does that one come from ?

jackherer
Sam - i'm now looking for bright LEDs, where does that one come from ?

My 205 had an LED high level brake light attached under the rear spoiler when I bought it, now its fitted to the dash and wired as an oil pressure light...

smckeown

for some reason the image has stopped working, here is is again.

secondary%20oil%20pressure.jpg

I've since discovered KMS allows the oil pressure to be received as input, then use an aux output to determine when the light comes on. I'm also hoping to use engine speed as a secondary input to stop the light coming on at idle :ph34r:

phatgti

If you ever see the low oil pressure light the bearings are already f*cked and if you do not turn the engine off immediately the rest of it will soon be the same.

Stack dashes have outputs that allow you to install a bright light on your steering wheel so any warning light makes the light flash and it really catches your attention.

Sign in to follow this